ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long should I apply for GT visa?

Only for the Global Talent visa, formerly known as Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

GTguy
Newly Registered

How long should I apply for GT visa?

Post by GTguy » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:53 pm

I’ve earned the tech nation endorsement and I will be switching my visa from a Tier 1 (which I’ve held since March 2019) to the Global Talent Visa, making me eligible in March 2022 for ILR based on Tier 1 + Global talent.

My wife is on a Tier 1 dependant visa (3 years) and will switch dependant on the Global Talent Visa category. She has lived in the UK for 6 years. Despite this, I understand that she will not be eligible for her own ILR in 2022 as she needs to be on a dependent visa for a total of 5 years.

Should we apply for a 1 year Global Talent + dependant visa or longer? If I get my ILR in 2022, will my wife need to reapply for a dependent visa? When will she qualify for her own ILR as she has lived in the UK for over 5 years?

Thanks for your help!

hag9
Newly Registered
Egypt

Re: How long should I apply for GT visa?

Post by hag9 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:32 am

Your wife will need to be on a dependent visa for 5 years to be eligible to apply for the ILR.

In your case, you can EITHER apply now for a 1 year GTV + dependant. In Feb/Mar 2022, you will be eligible for the ILR. Closer to the expiry date of your wife's visa, she can extend her GTV dependant until she is eligible for ILR.

OR you can apply now for a 1 year GTV for yourself only. In Feb, you apply for ILR. In Mar 2022, you wife can apply to switch to GTV dependant for 2 years. In Feb 2024, she will be eligible to apply for ILR.

OR you can apply now for a 3-year GTV + depenedant. You can apply for ILR in Feb/Mar 2022. Your wife can apply for ILR in Feb/Mar 2024.

You will need to weigh up the IHS, visa fees, and the hassle of visa applications to make up your mind.

hag9
Newly Registered
Egypt

Post by hag9 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:06 pm

hag9 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:32 am
Your wife will need to be on a dependent visa for 5 years to be eligible to apply for the ILR.

In your case, you can EITHER apply now for a 1 year GTV + dependant. In Feb/Mar 2022, you will be eligible for the ILR. Closer to the expiry date of your wife's visa, she can extend her GTV dependant until she is eligible for ILR.

OR you can apply now for a 1 year GTV for yourself only. In Feb, you apply for ILR. In Mar 2022, you wife can apply to switch to GTV dependant for 2 years. In Feb 2024, she will be eligible to apply for ILR.

OR you can apply now for a 3-year GTV + depenedant. You can apply for ILR in Feb/Mar 2022. Your wife can apply for ILR in Feb/Mar 2024.

You will need to weigh up the IHS, visa fees, and the hassle of visa applications to make up your mind.
I just found out a mistake in previous reply. If your wife applied for GTV dependant while you have the ILR, it will always be a 3-year visa, and will have to pay 3 years of IHS.

GTguy
Newly Registered

Post by GTguy » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:41 am

Thanks for your help, I just saw your message. We applied and received a 1 year GTV + dependant. My spouse completes 5 years on dependant in June 2023. I wasn't aware that she could only apply for a 3 year dependant extension while I'm on the ILR :(