ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Reckonable residence calculator

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

spp_pro
Newly Registered
India

Reckonable residence calculator

Post by spp_pro » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:05 pm

I was looking at the reckonable residence calculator provided at this link:

http://inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Natura ... Calculator

Under the stamps, it allows us to select "D" category. I assume this is the first visa that we apply to enter Ireland.

When we select "D" what dates should we provide? The date we landed or the start date of the visa? This is very important for me as it would determine the citizenship status of my child born in Ireland. She was born 2 years 11 months and 17 days after we landed in Ireland. Technically, if one of the parent has 3 years of reckonable residence, the child is eligible for citizenship by birth. If i use the start date of my very first visa, she would be eligible for citizenship by birth, but if it is from the day we landed she misses it by 13 days. Anyone else encountered similar situation? Any help would be appreciated.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Reckonable residence calculator

Post by littlerr » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:34 pm

Only EU nationals and refugees start their reckonable residence from the date of arrival in Ireland. All other people start their reckonable residence from the first day they register with INIS (i.e. the day they take the biometrics).

Your start date on visa is irrelevant. It simply tells you from which date you can visit Ireland. It has no bearing when calculating reckonable residences.

spp_pro
Newly Registered
India

Post by spp_pro » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:07 pm

But I guess visa stamps A, B, D are only issued to non-Europeans when they apply for visa from abroad. Europeans dont need it to travel to Ireland. The official calculator on INIS allows entering the above 3 stamps as well.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:35 pm

Whether you can select one drop down on a website has nothing to do with your eligibility.

Only refugees and EU nationals can use their arrival date as start date. Refugees do use the website and some do have a Type C/D visa in certain circumstances.

For all other non-EU nationals, the reckonable residence starts from the date of first registration.

These requirements are crystal clear in the application form and there should be no ambiguity whatsoever.

Besides, even if it does backdate to the arrival date, you are not eligible either anyway.

kaifushn1k
Newly Registered
Georgia

Post by kaifushn1k » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:44 am

Could I ask you to please point out where in the application process it's crystal clear that non-EU applicant's stay on type D visa may not count as reckonable residence?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:13 pm

All permission stamps that count as reckonable residences are clearly marked as ‘reckonable’ on INIS’s permission page: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/inis/pages/re ... ion-stamps

Furthermore, there is a separate clause for refugees saying ‘Residency is calculated from the date of arrival in the State.’ The same applies to EU nationals. But there is nothing for other non-EU nationals.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/m ... ation.html#

Just to address this again, visas are different from permissions. Visas are a formality for visa-required nationals to COME to Ireland. It permits you to board a plane and come to Ireland. It does not give you permission to live in Ireland. That is done by residence permissions through a registration process.

Besides, if Type D visas count towards reckonable residences, it will be inherently discriminative towards non-visa required nationals. There will be no visa stickers in their passports whatsoever.