ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Uk Citizenship/passport for child born in Paraguay to Uk citizen parent

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

DeclanL
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Uk Citizenship/passport for child born in Paraguay to Uk citizen parent

Post by DeclanL » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:23 pm

Good afternoon,

I’m looking for guidance regarding my son who was born a few weeks ago in Paraguay, where I currently live with his mother who is fully Paraguayan. I am a British citizen born to British parents with the right to live and work in the UK.

I am trying to figure out if my son must register using the MN1 form or if he is automatically considered a British citizen already due to me being his father and a full British citizen.

Can we skip the MN1 and go straight for the British passport in this case? (if he is considered to be British). I have read the government websites and called the home office but nothing is becoming clearer as there are so many options to beocnming British through naturalisation etc.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, we want to sort this so that we can return to the UK.

Thankyou!

vinny

Re: Uk Citizenship/passport for child born in Paraguay to Uk citizen parent

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:29 pm

Child may apply for a British passport directly.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

DeclanL
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by DeclanL » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:44 pm

Thanks for your response, in that case he is already considered a British citizen too then and would have all the rights I have as a British citizen once we return to the uk?

Cheers

HCJNL
United Kingdom

Post by HCJNL » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:56 pm

vinny wrote:Child may apply for a British passport directly.
Do we have enough information to conclude this? OP needs to be British otherwise than by descent. He doesn't say that he was born in the UK.

DeclanL
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by DeclanL » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:07 pm

Hi sorry yes I was born in the UK, we moved to Paraguay in 2019, the child was born here a few weeks ago and his mother is Paraguayan. Hope this helps.

Thanks again

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:15 pm

HCJNL wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:56 pm
Do we have enough information to conclude this? OP needs to be British otherwise than by descent. He doesn't say that he was born in the UK.
I was going to make the same point :)
DeclanL wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:07 pm
I was born in the UK,
DeclanL wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:23 pm
born to British parents
In that case, you are a British citizen otherwise than by descent and any child born to you outside the UK is a British citizen (by descent) as well.

However, that child's children (your grandchildren) born outside the UK will not automatically be British citizens.

To apply for your child's passport, you will need to prove your own British citizenship by descent (with your British birth certificate and, if you were born after 1983, the birth certificate of one of your parents and their marriage certificate), in addition to the child's birth certificate.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

DeclanL
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by DeclanL » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:37 pm

Thank you guys, this is really helpful information and could save me a lot of money if correct!

HCJNL
United Kingdom

Post by HCJNL » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:04 pm

Apply here: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Online applications are very easy. You are told if you can apply online, which documents you need to provide, and where to send them. Online applications are not possible from a few countries, but I think you will be fine with Paraguay.