ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Certificate of naturalisation

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

flabb2
Newly Registered

Certificate of naturalisation

Post by flabb2 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:38 pm

Finally I went to the district court for the oath of fidelity.
Great feeling really :D . I am now waiting for the certificate of naturalisation. Does anybody know how long it takes??? It has been
3 weeks already and no news.
Thanks

LuasPassenger

Post by LuasPassenger » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:31 pm

I don't know the answer to your question... But may I ask you, how long did you have to wait for your appointment with the district court? Did you go to a court in Dublin or outside Dublin. Some people in the other citizenship thread are quoting wait times of about 2-3 months for an appointment in Dublin and others are mentioning times of 2 weeks for appointments outside Dublin.

Dublin1

Post by Dublin1 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:23 pm

And maybe you can share with us what exactly you did for the oath thing ?

Thanks

flabb2
Newly Registered

Oath of fidelity

Post by flabb2 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:03 pm

It is quite straight forward. When you get the application approval they send you a letter with the instructions. You call the district court and make an appointment. You need to go on a Wednesday at 09.30 , I believe.
You queue and then you get the letter and form sent by the immigration.
They fill it in for yo and you must wait until 10.30 when the court is open.
You sit down and wait until they call your name.
The judge calls you to a "witness" stand and you read the declaration.About a sentence long . You state your name , address and the oath. the judge sign it and that is it.

THEN, you take this signed form, add the other documents listed on the letter you received, a bank draf for the fee and send it to the immigration office.The certificate of naturalisation will then be issued.

greentea

Re: Certificate of naturalisation

Post by greentea » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:49 pm

flabb2 wrote:Finally I went to the district court for the oath of fidelity.
Great feeling really :D . I am now waiting for the certificate of naturalisation. Does anybody know how long it takes??? It has been
3 weeks already and no news.
Thanks
did you make the declaration in dublin or other regions. My appointment is 20 jan09 in Dublin, despite my application was approved on 18 Oct. I tried to get an appointment in co. Wicklow. But, they only do it for the local residences.

Dublin1

Re: Oath of fidelity

Post by Dublin1 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:37 am

flabb2 wrote:It is quite straight forward. When you get the application approval they send you a letter with the instructions. You call the district court and make an appointment. You need to go on a Wednesday at 09.30 , I believe.
You queue and then you get the letter and form sent by the immigration.
They fill it in for yo and you must wait until 10.30 when the court is open.
You sit down and wait until they call your name.
The judge calls you to a "witness" stand and you read the declaration.About a sentence long . You state your name , address and the oath. the judge sign it and that is it.

THEN, you take this signed form, add the other documents listed on the letter you received, a bank draf for the fee and send it to the immigration office.The certificate of naturalisation will then be issued.
thans a million!

flabb2
Newly Registered

District court Dublin

Post by flabb2 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:56 am

I got the approval in August and I had to wait until mid October for the district court appointment since it was booked out .I went to the district court in Dublin.

Dublin1

Re: District court Dublin

Post by Dublin1 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:15 am

flabb2 wrote:I got the approval in August and I had to wait until mid October for the district court appointment since it was booked out .I went to the district court in Dublin.
So is it an option to go district court outside Dublin (your county) ?

LuasPassenger

Post by LuasPassenger » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:17 am

Thanks for the info flabb2. Just out of curiosity, do you remember any part of the actual text of the oath? :)

flabb2
Newly Registered

Declaration of fidelity

Post by flabb2 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:42 am

"I (...) ,hereby solemnly declare my fidelity to the Irish nation and my Loyalty to the State" :!:

Guess-Any-Name

Post by Guess-Any-Name » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:22 am

do you recall in what name you had to do the draft? silly question I know :( but I am thinking to do the draft today and I forgot the letter at home - Monday!!!

mangrovejack
Newly Registered

Re: Declaration of fidelity

Post by mangrovejack » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:31 pm

flabb2 wrote:"I (...) ,hereby solemnly declare my fidelity to the Irish nation and my Loyalty to the State" :!:
Hi flabb2,
I'm new here. Would appreciate if you could confirm if there are any conditions imposed on newly naturalised citizen on minimum stay within the state after receiving the certificate &/or passport, i.e., can you leave to become a resident of another country without any reprecussion. Looking at the current situation, this seems to be iminent for some to venture out. Many thanks.

Guess-Any-Name

Post by Guess-Any-Name » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:30 pm

mangrovejack wrote:
flabb2 wrote:"I (...) ,hereby solemnly declare my fidelity to the Irish nation and my Loyalty to the State" :!:
Hi flabb2,
I'm new here. Would appreciate if you could confirm if there are any conditions imposed on newly naturalised citizen on minimum stay within the state after receiving the certificate &/or passport, i.e., can you leave to become a resident of another country without any reprecussion. Looking at the current situation, this seems to be iminent for some to venture out. Many thanks.
If my source of information is correct Justice collects data from Revenue for all that have got naturalisation - for up to 7 years. Therefore it's needed that you are a tax payer in the country for at least 7 years after you became a paddy!

I am sure people in this board will know better!

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:39 am

Guess-Any-Name wrote:
mangrovejack wrote:
Hi flabb2,
If my source of information is correct Justice collects data from Revenue for all that have got naturalisation - for up to 7 years. Therefore it's needed that you are a tax payer in the country for at least 7 years after you became a paddy!

You are not forced to stay in Ireland. I believe you are required to register your intent to keep your Irish citizenship annually (it is somewhere in the citizenship legislation if anyone cares to read it again).

However, considering that it is Ireland we're talking about, it is unlikely that they will collect data from the Revenue, and if they do it is unlikely they will do anything about it. Govt departments do not communicate well!

Guess-Any-Name

Post by Guess-Any-Name » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:03 pm

joesoap101 wrote:I believe you are required to register your intent to keep your Irish citizenship annually
Do you know how to do this? Is there a defined process?

mangrovejack
Newly Registered

Post by mangrovejack » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:25 pm

joesoap101 wrote:
Guess-Any-Name wrote:

You are not forced to stay in Ireland. I believe you are required to register your intent to keep your Irish citizenship annually (it is somewhere in the citizenship legislation if anyone cares to read it again).
Thanks for the insight. 8 years waiting + another 7 for a full citizenship is just madness isn't it. Would you be kind enough to show me the link to the info re citizen legislation? Is it a requirement to be physical present in the State to register the intention to keep the naturalised citizenship, the current situation may not permits many to do so or do they prefer us to sit around on state benefits!!

greentea

Post by greentea » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:56 pm

By the current down turn in job market, there is legitmate reasons for a irish citizen to seek jobs outside Ireland.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:26 am

mangrovejack wrote:
joesoap101 wrote:
Guess-Any-Name wrote:

Thanks for the insight. 8 years waiting + another 7 for a full citizenship is just madness isn't it. Would you be kind enough to show me the link to the info re citizen legislation? Is it a requirement to be physical present in the State to register the intention to keep the naturalised citizenship, the current situation may not permits many to do so or do they prefer us to sit around on state benefits!!
if i were you, i wouldnt even worry about the registration when you live abroad.

just take a look at these two cases in the following link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ey%27.html

http://www.globalcriminalmedia.com/czec ... ublic1.htm

they wont even cancel the passport to the people which wsa branded as major criminal by some other countries. you think they will go after guys like us the normal working people trying to make a living? it mentioned in the citizenship application saying that you suppose to register to them after 7 years continuously living abroad after you naturalized to be an irish citizenship. to be honest, do you think they really enforce this after you read the two links above? in order to revoke your irish citizenship, they will have to go through the DOJ and dail. you think they will go through all the trouble if you are just a normal person?

i am just looking from the point how the irish practice law in ireland. i dont know how many, but i am sure there would be certain amount of people left ireland for good after they naturalized as irisih citizen. if DOJ has to go after every single one of them. the staff in DOJ wont have time to make their tea and coffee!

dont forget, in fact, if Kozeny had convicted any crime in ireland. he will be going to jail in ireland instead of DOJ thinking to strip his citizenship. thats why some government likes people naturalize in their country instead of holder permanent residency.

worry about the registration after you receive your irish naturalization. i wouldn't worry a thing if they give me the citizenship.

sashasolar

Post by sashasolar » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:42 am

mktsoi wrote: it mentioned in the citizenship application saying that you suppose to register to them after 7 years continuously living abroad after you naturalized to be an irish citizenship.
Guys, without being rude or something - what are you talking about?! I've been reading this post for few days now and it becomes unbearable!

The only question on the Form 8 is:
1.9 Do you intend to have your usual or principal place of residence in the State after naturalisation or if married to an Irish citizen in the island of Ireland?
Answer should be "YES". Yes, at the time of filling this form (2-3 years ago I was "intending".
I may still be "intending". :D Any problems with my "intention" to "have my usual or principal place of residence in the State after naturalisation"?

The real secreat about the magic figure "7" is:
Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act, 1956
Revocation of certificates of naturalisation
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1956/en/ ... c0019.html
The Minister may revoke a certificate of naturalisation if he is satisfied—
( c ) that (except in the case of a certificate of naturalisation which is issued to a person of Irish descent or associations) the person to whom it is granted has been ordinarily resident outside Ireland (otherwise than in the public service) for a continuous period of seven years and without reasonable excuse has not during that period registered annually in the prescribed manner his name and a declaration of his intention to retain Irish citizenship with an Irish diplomatic mission or consular office or with the Minister...
So, you can leave the state, go to the nearest Irish embassy and register there signing the declaration that you intend to keep the Irish citizenship.
Noone is keeping you here, of course you can go live abroad.

Also:
(2) Before revocation of a certificate of naturalisation the Minister shall give such notice as may be prescribed to the person to whom the certificate was granted of his intention to revoke the certificate, stating the grounds therefor and the right of that person to apply to the Minister for an inquiry as to the reasons for the revocation.

(3) On application being made in the prescribed manner for an inquiry under subsection (2) the Minister shall refer the case to a Committee of Inquiry appointed by the Minister consisting of a chairman having judicial experience and such other persons as the Minister may think fit, and the Committee shall report their findings to the Minister.

(6) Notice of the revocation of a certificate of naturalisation shall be published in Iris Oifigiúil.
It's very difficult for them to revoke a cert of naturalisation and in any case they will notify you well in advance.

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:21 am

One more point:
As far as I know EU laws state that there is full freedom to live and work in any EU state, so you are definitely covered as long as you are in another EU state.
Even otherwise I don't think they will go after a law-abiding individual trying to make a honest living elsewhere--after all he/she is not a drain on govt resources like claiming dole or any other state benefits!!

mendo

Post by mendo » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:25 pm

________
HEMP MARIJUANA
Last edited by mendo on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:23 pm

strongbow wrote:One more point:
As far as I know EU laws state that there is full freedom to live and work in any EU state, so you are definitely covered as long as you are in another EU state.
Even otherwise I don't think they will go after a law-abiding individual trying to make a honest living elsewhere--after all he/she is not a drain on govt resources like claiming dole or any other state benefits!!
The law allows them to revoke citizenship of naturalised citizens who leave the State withou registering their intent to keep citizenship. Or acquire another citizenship. That doesn't mean that they will do so.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:24 pm

mendo wrote:Hi Guys,

On the approval letter they are asking for:

- declaration form - Form 7
- postal order 950 Euro
- two photos
- GNIB card
- Original Travel Document (if applicable)

Does it mean that I have to send my passport in original (as this is my only travel document) ?

Regards,

Mendo
Mendo - please ask new questions on a new thread, not take over something on a different aspect of the topic.