ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working Holiday Maker/Tier 1 Switch

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

CanadianOT
Newly Registered

Working Holiday Maker/Tier 1 Switch

Post by CanadianOT » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:38 pm

Hi Everyone, looking for some help from everyone.

I am currently in the UK under the Working Holiday Maker Visa. I received this late January 08 and have been working since Feb. I work with the NHS and I will be finishing work in Feb 09, due to the 12 month restriction regarding work under the WHM Visa. The NHS have agreed, in writing, to issue me with a permanant position if I can find a way to work in the UK.

The process of trying to get a tier 2 visa looks extremely difficult, with the NHS having to advertise the postion, myself being picked and successful in the interview, and the NHS not finding a better candidate.

Is it possible for me to switch to a Tier 1 visa from the WHM Visa? I qualifiy for Tier 1 scoring 75 points. It looks like I am unable to switch while still in the UK. Therefore, if I am correct, would it be possible for me to return to Canada and apply for Tier 1?

Any help would be great. In the mean time, i'll be searching the forum!

Thanks

Jenn

berkshire1987

Post by berkshire1987 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:21 pm

Hi,

You may be eligible for T1, if you hold a degree and meet all of the other criteria for Tier 1. However, you cannot switch from the WHM scheme to T1.
Last edited by berkshire1987 on Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

apply4hsmp

Re: Working Holiday Maker/Tier 1 Switch

Post by apply4hsmp » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:49 pm

CanadianOT wrote: The NHS have agreed, in writing, to issue me with a permanant position if I can find a way to work in the UK.

The process of trying to get a tier 2 visa looks extremely difficult, with the NHS having to advertise the postion, myself being picked and successful in the interview, and the NHS not finding a better candidate.
would suggest go back to Canada and get Tier1 stamped with Urgent Treatment and make sure u have the right docs(bank stmts 7 days clause etc.).

Take an interview with BHC Canada(Schedule everything while in UK) and explain ur case that u wish to carry on and would lose the job unless the case is expedited.

Meanwhile keep ur employer informed and tell them u will be back within few weeks, also hurry up as there would be delays pending Christmas.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:23 am

The NHS employment guidance in relation to PBS does NOT allow the trust to do as it has promised. The role MUST be advertised again in an open competition in order to meet the resident labour market test. If they fail to do so and UKBA find out the trust will get a heavy fine and the NHS will also sanction the trust.

Getting your tier 1 will not overcome the above and if it comes to light the consequences for the trust will still be very negative.

Your original application for your current job - was that for a permanent role or a temp role?
Last edited by Frontier Mole on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianOT
Newly Registered

Post by CanadianOT » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:21 pm

I'm surprised to hear that the post will still need to be re-advertised with applying for the Tier 1 visa as it seems to go against everything that I have been informed thus far. Do you have a link where this is indicated?
Thanks, Jenn