ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Cert with no passport

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jet2000
Newly Registered
Ireland

Citizenship Cert with no passport

Post by jet2000 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:05 pm

Hello,

Just wondering since the first time passport applications takes so long.

Is having just the certification is enough to:
1- Stay in Ireland without a a visa?
2- travel using old passport then re-enter using the cert ?

Or I'm still required to apply and renew my stamps on my other passport?

meself2
Ireland

Re: Citizenship Cert with no passport

Post by meself2 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:30 pm

From what I know:

1) Yes, you're an Irish citizen legally as soon as you have your certificate. No need for IRP, can get a Stamp 6 in your other passport if you wish but I don't think it gives you much.
2) Since the cert is not a travel document, you'll just be denied boarding as airline will not consider it sufficient for travel. You can get a re-entry visa if you really need to travel between the time of getting your cert and passport, but it's far from easy (see here).

Long wait is painful, but necessary, unfortunately.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

_pikachu
Mood:
United States of America

Post by _pikachu » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:40 am

I applied March 9th for the passport, expected issuing date is May 6th. Hopefully it doesn't get delayed, but that seems like a short wait time.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:49 pm

1. Yes Ireland (and the UK) does not have any legal requirement with regards to having a valid ID for Irish and UK nationals. You can live in both countries as long as you have valid proofs that you are an Irish citizen. Naturalisation certificate is a valid proof.

2. It depends on your other nationality. Airlines and ferries will follow government guidelines, which in almost all cases will require you to have a valid passport (and a visa, if you come from a visa-required country). For example, if you are a US citizen, you do not need to have a visa. A US passport along with the naturalisation certificate is sufficient. If you are an Indian citizen, you will need to get a visa if you use your Indian passport to travel to Ireland.

NF13
Ireland

Post by NF13 » Thu May 05, 2022 5:35 pm

littlerr wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:49 pm
1. Yes Ireland (and the UK) does not have any legal requirement with regards to having a valid ID for Irish and UK nationals. You can live in both countries as long as you have valid proofs that you are an Irish citizen. Naturalisation certificate is a valid proof.

2. It depends on your other nationality. Airlines and ferries will follow government guidelines, which in almost all cases will require you to have a valid passport (and a visa, if you come from a visa-required country). For example, if you are a US citizen, you do not need to have a visa. A US passport along with the naturalisation certificate is sufficient. If you are an Indian citizen, you will need to get a visa if you use your Indian passport to travel to Ireland.

UK Home Office does not recognize the cert as an Irish. They insist Irish passport. So cannot work in the UK and still require a visa.

I am trying to find info to say applying for an Irish passport is a choice but the cert confirmed Irish. Cannot find anything on this.

avta
Ireland

Post by avta » Thu May 05, 2022 7:12 pm

NF13 wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:35 pm
UK Home Office does not recognize the cert as an Irish. They insist Irish passport. So cannot work in the UK and still require a visa.

I am trying to find info to say applying for an Irish passport is a choice but the cert confirmed Irish. Cannot find anything on this.
Hey.
There is some info available on this page. It looks like the certificate can be accepted in some cases:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travelling- ... -or-jersey
======
You don’t need to show your passport to a Border Force officer when travelling from Ireland to Great Britain. However, you may be asked to show a document that confirms your identity and nationality.

This could include:
[...]
* evidence of having obtained British or Irish citizenship
[...]
======

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu May 05, 2022 7:36 pm

NF13 wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:35 pm
littlerr wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:49 pm

That is obviously not true. No British or Irish government can demand an Irish or British citizen to produce a passport. Where did you find such information?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu May 05, 2022 8:16 pm

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travelling- ... -or-jersey
You don’t need to show your passport to a Border Force officer when travelling from Ireland to Great Britain. However, you may be asked to show a document that confirms your identity and nationality.

This could include:

- a valid passport or passport card (if you’re Irish)
a copy of your passport or passport card with your identity and nationality clearly visible
- an expired passport or passport card, which Border Force are satisfied was issued to you originally
- evidence of having obtained British or Irish citizenship

This list is not exhaustive and other documents including providing more than one may be accepted.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu May 05, 2022 8:24 pm

One thing I think you might have misunderstood is which identity you intend to use to enter the UK.

For example, if you use a Canadian passport and an Irish naturalisation certificate to board a plane, you are considered to have entered the UK as a Canadian citizen. In this case you will still be required to get relevant visas or authorisations.

If you use your Irish naturalisation certificate to enter the UK (most airlines won’t accept that unless you were born in Ireland, but many ferry/bus operators accept it, or you can simply drive across the border and travel from the NI to GB), you are considered to have entered the UK as an Irish citizen and no other ID is required.

The other thing is, these documents are valid within the Common Travel Area only (I.e. between the UK and Ireland). If you want to travel from France to the UK as an Irish citizen for example, you must use an Irish passport.

NF13
Ireland

Post by NF13 » Fri May 06, 2022 7:19 am

UK recruiter said that the Home office does not accept naturalization cert. Their email to me below:

Annex B - Irish Citizens

Irish citizens continue to have unrestricted access to work in the UK. They can prove their right to work using their Irish passport or Irish passport card (in either case, whether current or expired), or their Irish birth or adoption certificate together with an official document giving the person’s permanent National Insurance number and their name issued by a government agency or a previous employer.

While I understand that you have a Certificate of Naturalization, from what we can see the site distinguishes between a birth / adoption certificate and a certificate of naturalization.

You are welcome to call the Visas & Immigration department on +44 300 790 6268.