ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR after obtaining Canadian Permanent Residence

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

singhengr
Newly Registered

ILR after obtaining Canadian Permanent Residence

Post by singhengr » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 am

Dear All

I am in a weired situation and need some suggestion from you all honoured memebers of this community. I am presently working in UK on HSMP visa (pre Tier 1) which is for renewal in Oct 2009. I started working here on workpermit in June 2005 and later switched over to HSMP last year in Oct 2007. So hopefully I am expecting ILR in June 2010.

In Nov 2006 I applied for Canadian Permanent Residence under Simplified process and got a letter from them now asking for further documents and hope that in around 6 months time, I will have it.

Now I have following concerns:

1) If I take Canadian Permanent Residency before Oct 2009, will it affect my HSMP Extension (Tier 1) application in Oct 2009?
2) If I take Canadian Permanent Residency, will it affect my ILR application in June 2010?
3) Can I keep both Canadian Immigration and UK ILR at same time?
4) If Yes, what will happen to Canadian PR in case I will apply for British passport in near future?

I know you must be wondering that why I am so keen in Canadian Immigration if I want ILR in future, Just to clear that I have read about some new proposed rules for ILR and Citizenship including Probationary period and paying extra funds and some unknown new condions fullfillment. So the pace at which British Govt is changing rules, I dont want to take any risk. I hope most of you are also in the same boat and just waiting for news on the new bill to be presented in Jan.

All your valueable responses and suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

Bally

republique
BANNED

Re: ILR after obtaining Canadian Permanent Residence

Post by republique » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:58 pm

singhengr wrote:Dear All

I am in a weired situation and need some suggestion from you all honoured memebers of this community. I am presently working in UK on HSMP visa (pre Tier 1) which is for renewal in Oct 2009. I started working here on workpermit in June 2005 and later switched over to HSMP last year in Oct 2007. So hopefully I am expecting ILR in June 2010.

In Nov 2006 I applied for Canadian Permanent Residence under Simplified process and got a letter from them now asking for further documents and hope that in around 6 months time, I will have it.

1) If I take Canadian Permanent Residency before Oct 2009, will it affect my HSMP Extension (Tier 1) application in Oct 2009?
2) If I take Canadian Permanent Residency, will it affect my ILR application in June 2010?
4) If Yes, what will happen to Canadian PR in case I will apply for British passport in near future?

I know you must be wondering that why I am so keen in Canadian Immigration if I want ILR in future, Just to clear that I have read about some new proposed rules for ILR and Citizenship including Probationary period and paying extra funds and some unknown new condions fullfillment. So the pace at which British Govt is changing rules, I dont want to take any risk. I hope most of you are also in the same boat and just waiting for news on the new bill to be presented in Jan.

Regards,

Bally
what is your current nationality?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:17 am

Can u get any sort of PR without residency? Seems odd to me u have Canadian PR without living there...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:19 am

Wanderer wrote:Can u get any sort of PR without residency? Seems odd to me u have Canadian PR without living there...
Simlarly if you have ILR but choose to live elsewhere it can be cancelled.

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:07 am

The Canadians issue Permanent residence to new immigrants before they land in Canada, but you have to land within a specied period.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

simar

Post by simar » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:35 pm

Regards,

Bally

Bhaji no issue. U can get canadian PR & still can apply for ILR.
It is least problem of home office of which place PR you have.
All you need to do is fulfil ILR conditoins and keep making Uk as main home.
I am also in same boat. I have got canadian PR I am also on hsmp in UK. But as of now I have no intention to get ILR, will leave for canada in 2 year time.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:01 pm

singhengr wrote:1) If I take Canadian Permanent Residency before Oct 2009, will it affect my HSMP Extension (Tier 1) application in Oct 2009?
You would need to find out both countries' policy on how to maintain ILR/PR if you have long absences. You would probably have problems obtaining British citizenship, because, if you move to Canada once your PR is approved, you would have too many (long) absences, may or may not be working in the UK and cannot prove that you intend to make the UK your main home/residence. The same issue would apply for Canadian citizenship.

For example, which country would you work? I think, in the end, it just would not be possible to maintain both without the risk of losing one (especially if policy changes).

simar

Post by simar » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:32 pm

sakura wrote:
singhengr wrote:1) If I take Canadian Permanent Residency before Oct 2009, will it affect my HSMP Extension (Tier 1) application in Oct 2009?
You would need to find out both countries' policy on how to maintain ILR/PR if you have long absences. You would probably have problems obtaining British citizenship, because, if you move to Canada once your PR is approved, you would have too many (long) absences, may or may not be working in the UK and cannot prove that you intend to make the UK your main home/residence. The same issue would apply for Canadian citizenship.

For example, which country would you work? I think, in the end, it just would not be possible to maintain both without the risk of losing one (especially if policy changes).

I will suggest you to go through canadian PR requirements. They have 2 out of 5 year rule That means stay 2 years out of 5 years. one can maintain PR. That means. Once your clock starts. U can effectively be out of canada for 3 year and still have valid PR .

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:38 pm

Regards,

Bally
If the new bill does get implemented sometime next year then you won't be able to apply for ILR in June 2010 anyway, you'll have to apply for probationary citizenship. This would probably mean you'd have to make the UK your main home for even longer if you wanted an indefinite UK visa/British Citizenship.

singhengr
Newly Registered

Post by singhengr » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:29 pm

republique wrote:

Regards,

Bally
what is your current nationality?
First of all sorry for my late reply...

Currently I hold Indian Citizenship

singhengr
Newly Registered

Post by singhengr » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:32 pm

simar wrote:

Regards,

Bally

Bhaji no issue. U can get canadian PR & still can apply for ILR.
It is least problem of home office of which place PR you have.
All you need to do is fulfil ILR conditoins and keep making Uk as main home.
I am also in same boat. I have got canadian PR I am also on hsmp in UK. But as of now I have no intention to get ILR, will leave for canada in 2 year time.
Hi Simar

Thanks for the useful information. Did u got ur HSMP visa after receiving your Canadian PR?

Regards,

Bally

soulfullness

Post by soulfullness » Mon May 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Few of us wish to apply for Canadian PR because it is not certain the rules of UK under HSMP as it changes time to time. As precautionary step they do apply for canadian PR. As to my understanding Canada allows to stay out of Canada for 3 years after you get your PR. There could be certain conditions in UK also after you get your ILR but I do not know what are the conditions you should fulfill to maintain ILR.
Anyway you have 3 years to decide what to do with ILR before loosing Canadian PR and it is a long time.

If anyone knows about the conditions that you have to fulfill to maintain ILR in UK, pl highlight those.