ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Register child as a british citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

ashontherun
India

Register child as a british citizen

Post by ashontherun » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:44 am

Hello,

I have applied for Naturalisation earlier in May.

My query is regarding my children who got their ILR in August 2021.

Both my children, aged 17 and 13 are on ILR since August 2021, so:

1) Can I register both on MN1 form
2) Do I have to wait for 1 year from ILR date, i.e., Aug 2021 to register them as British.

Please advise.

Thanks

vinny

Re: Register child as a british citizen

Post by vinny » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:35 am

1. Yes. Probably separate MN1 forms?
2. No. But under Section 3(1), they should have also resided in the UK for at least 2 years.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ashontherun
India

Post by ashontherun » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:56 am

Hello,

I have further queries please:

I am on ILR for the last 15 months and have applied for naturalisation in May 2022. My wife is on ILR since Aug 2021.I have 2 children, both born abroad.

1) My elder child is over 18 now. He has been on ILR for 1 year now and has lived continuously in the UK for the last 11 years.He has completed A levels and has applied for Uni.

My question is:
- Does he need to take LIUK test as he is over 18 now?
- Though he has been studying in the UK for over 11 years, I saw some posts on the forum that he needs to take English Language test. Is this correct please? He already has GCSEs and will have A level results and certificate. Are these sufficient enough to prove his English Language ability? Please advise
- Which form should I use to register as British citizen?

2) My younger child is 14 now and has been on ILR for 1 year now and has lived continuously in the UK for the last 11 years. He too has studied in the UK for 11 years

- Do he need to take LIUK as well?
- Do he need to take English Language Test?
- Is it possible to register him directly as British Citizen and not go for naturalisation? If yes, then which form should I use please? If not, then which form should I use?

Please advise.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:14 pm

- Does he need to take LIUK test as he is over 18 now?
Yes.
- Though he has been studying in the UK for over 11 years, I saw some posts on the forum that he needs to take English Language test. Is this correct please? He already has GCSEs and will have A level results and certificate. Are these sufficient enough to prove his English Language ability? Please advise
He needs a ukvi approved B1 English test.
- Which form should I use to register as British citizen?
Form AN, and same form you used.
2) My younger child is 14 now and has been on ILR for 1 year now and has lived continuously in the UK for the last 11 years. He too has studied in the UK for 11 years

- Do he need to take LIUK as well?
- Do he need to take English Language Test?
- Is it possible to register him directly as British Citizen and not go for naturalisation? If yes, then which form should I use please? If not, then which form should I use?
Children under 18 do NOT need LIUK or English tests!!

Children under 18 are REGISTERED as british. Use form MN1. Only adults are naturalised!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.