ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship for children born in UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

raviskar

British Citizenship for children born in UK

Post by raviskar » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:54 pm

Hi,

We live in UK in ILR. We went to back to India for 2-3 years in the middle and came back to UK using Returning Residents visa.

We have 2 children, both of them born in UK

- My daughter was born before we got our ILR
- My son was born after we got our ILR

1) We already got certificate of entitlement for my son while we came to UK for the second time. For him, do we need to apply for citizenship again (or) can we apply for his British passport directly?

2) For my daughter, we need to apply for Biritish citizenship first and then apply for her British passport. Is it correct?

3) Can we travel outside UK after applying for British Citizenship and while waiting for response? We may need to relocate to Dubai due to my job. Will there be any consequences on the British citizenship application for children if we have moved out of the country after the application?

4) If we move outside UK, can we apply for British passport for both of them from outside UK (for e.g from Dubai or India)? Are there any consequences in their application if we are not in the country?

5) For children's citizenship/passport, is it mandatory that they need to be in UK for the application to be made (or) in process?

Many thanks for your help.

Thanks,
Ravi.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Re: British Citizenship for children born in UK

Post by Ticktack » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:47 am

raviskar wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:54 pm
Hi,

We live in UK in ILR. We went to back to India for 2-3 years in the middle and came back to UK using Returning Residents visa.

We have 2 children, both of them born in UK

- My daughter was born before we got our ILR
- My son was born after we got our ILR

1) We already got certificate of entitlement for my son while we came to UK for the second time. For him, do we need to apply for citizenship again (or) can we apply for his British passport directly?Passport

2) For my daughter, we need to apply for Biritish citizenship first and then apply for her British passport. Is it correct? Correct

3) Can we travel outside UK after applying for British Citizenship and while waiting for response? We may need to relocate to Dubai due to my job. Will there be any consequences on the British citizenship application for children if we have moved out of the country after the application? Yes you can travel, but you need to come back and swear/affirm your oath of allegiance.

4) If we move outside UK, can we apply for British passport for both of them from outside UK (for e.g from Dubai or India)? Are there any consequences in their application if we are not in the country? Yes you can. The HO always advises that you apply for your first UK passport from the UK before you leave. It takes much longer from outside and gets messy/complicated as well.

5) For children's citizenship/passport, is it mandatory that they need to be in UK for the application to be made (or) in process? For citizenship, yes. For passport NO.

Many thanks for your help.

Thanks,
Ravi.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:30 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:47 am
5) For children's citizenship/passport, is it mandatory that they need to be in UK for the application to be made (or) in process? For citizenship, yes. For passport NO.
If the children are born in the UK and they meet the requirements for registration under Form MN1, they can apply from abroad.

Children born in the UK and meeting the requirements have an entitlement to register before their 18th birthday, wherever in the world they are located.

Children born outside the UK do need to meet residence requirements and need to apply from within the UK, as they do not have an entitlement to registration as British citizens.
raviskar wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:54 pm
4) If we move outside UK, can we apply for British passport for both of them from outside UK (for e.g from Dubai or India)? Are there any consequences in their application if we are not in the country?
When you naturalise as a British citizen, one of the requirements is the "future residence requirement", that you intend to reside in the UK. If, after you are naturalised, your first action is to fly abroad and then apply for your British passport from abroad, the HMPO may pass the applications to the Home Office to look into whether you did not meet the future residence requirement at the time of naturalisation. There have been two such cases reported on these forums. It would be much better if you apply for your first British passport from within the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

raviskar

Post by raviskar » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:30 pm

It looks like applying for both citizenship and first UK passport from within UK is advisable. Many thanks for both your responses, much appreciated.