ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

filling in the application form help

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

compwlk
Newly Registered

Calculating 5 year on Tier 2 visa and the earliest day of application

Post by compwlk » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:09 pm

Hello,
I went to university in UK and switched from Tier 4 student visa to Tier 2 work visa while in UK.
So my first BRP for Tier 2 says "date of issue" which is 22 July 2017.
However, when I applied for this Tier 2 visa, the official work start date was stated as September 2017 although this doesn't show on my BRP card.
I went abroad on holiday for a month after receiving my BRP card on 22 July, came back, and started work in September.

I changed my employer in 2019 and there is a gap of about 20days between my first BRP card's valid until date and official work start date of my new job. I applied for the new Tier 2 visa while in UK though so my 2nd brp's issue date is a month earlier than my actual start date of my job.

When is the earliest day I can apply for ILR? I am not sure when to count 5 years from, and whether my 20 days of gap in employment affects my application.
Also, is it true that you are not allowed to go out of UK 3 months prior to applying for ILR? or is this false rumour I have heard from somewhere?

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Calculating 5 year on Tier 2 visa and the earliest day of application

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:56 pm

Employment gap is irrelevant.

Work start date is irrelevant.

Your 5 years starts from the date your tier 2 was issued. You can apply within 28 days before the 5th anniversary.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

compwlk
Newly Registered

Post by compwlk » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:47 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:56 pm

Your 5 years starts from the date your tier 2 was issued. You can apply within 28 days before the 5th anniversary.
Great. Thanks for this. So I can apply 28 days prior to 22 July... so I can apply from tomorrow? Just want to check!

Many thanks again.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:29 pm

compwlk wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:47 pm
CR001 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:56 pm

Great. Thanks for this. So I can apply 28 days prior to 22 July... correct so I can apply from tomorrow? Just want to check!

Many thanks again.

compwlk
Newly Registered

filling in the application form help

Post by compwlk » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:35 pm

Hello, I am trying to answer this part of the application form:

"Evidence of your absence from the UK and Crown Dependencies

What evidence will you provide to support the reasons for all absences from the UK and Crown Dependencies?"

Do I have to provide evidence for holiday travels too? I have only been out of UK for holiday reasons.

Options I can choose are:
  • Letter(s) from employer(s) detailing reasons for work-related absences including periods of paid annual leave from the UK and Crown Dependencies
  • Letter from applicant detailing any exceptionally harsh consequences to them caused by the change in the way absences from the UK are counted
  • Official documents: (e.g. medical, birth or death certificates)
  • Letter from travel companies to evidence disruption to travel
  • Other
Thank you!

zimba
Mood:

Re: filling in the application form help

Post by zimba » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:19 am

A generic employer letter is enough.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

compwlk
Newly Registered

Post by compwlk » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:01 am

Zimba wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:19 am
A generic employer letter is enough.
Thank you.

Does anyone know what the employer letter should include?

For instance, I work at a school so get about 3 months of annual leave (school holiday).

Would employer letter need to state, for example, that I have been to say Spain for 1 week in July for holiday with exact dates, etc?
Or can it just state the school holidays for the last 5 years instead?

I guess what I am asking is whether the employer letter is ABSENCE FROM WORK or ABSENCE FROM UK?

compwlk
Newly Registered

Post by compwlk » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:08 am

In addition to my above question about employer letter, I have another question.

Do I need any form of letter from previous employer? First 2 years of my 5 year period was with my previous employer.

I would really appreciate help with this. Thank you in advance.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:48 pm

They simply need to say that your absences from work were approved by them. NO need to get any letter from previous employers
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

compwlk
Newly Registered

Post by compwlk » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:27 pm

Zimba wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:48 pm
They simply need to say that your absences from work were approved by them. NO need to get any letter from previous employers
Thank you. When they say any absences were approved, is "All absences were approved" enough or does my employer need to make a table of all my absences from UK then say they were approved?

Thanks again!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:04 pm

compwlk wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:27 pm
Zimba wrote:
Thank you. When they say any absences were approved, is "All absences were approved" enough or does my employer need to make a table of all my absences from UK then say they were approved? There is no need for any table outlining your absences. The statement from your employer is sufficient.

Thanks again!

compwlk
Newly Registered

Post by compwlk » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:38 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:04 pm
compwlk wrote:
Zimba wrote:
Thank you. When they say any absences were approved, is "All absences were approved" enough or does my employer need to make a table of all my absences from UK then say they were approved? There is no need for any table outlining your absences. The statement from your employer is sufficient.

Thanks again!
Thank you for this!

compwlk
Newly Registered

Post by compwlk » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:21 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:04 pm
compwlk wrote:
Zimba wrote:

Thanks again!
Hi! I have another question.

I am filling in "Have you previously lived in a country outside the UK including your country of birth?" bit of the form.

Do I have to put in United Kingdom? I lived here for almost 10 years as I was on student visa before work visa. Or am I only putting in countries that are not UK?

Thanks again

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:28 am

It says outside the UK. :? :?

compwlk
Newly Registered

Post by compwlk » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:45 pm

Zimba wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:28 am
That makes sense -thanks. Also, I have had day trips to Paris in the past. When I try to put in same date for "When did you leave UK?" and "When did you return to UK?", it gives me an error saying "enter an end date that is after the start date".
How am I meant to enter day trip outside of UK? Thanks again.

compwlk
Newly Registered

Post by compwlk » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:39 pm

Also, I there is no place in the form to enter detail about my first Tier 2 visa. I have only entered current BRP card I hold. Is this right? I am guessing home office has detail of my previous employment/visa?
Just worried I missed something... do I need to submit my previous BRP card?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:29 am

compwlk wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:45 pm
Zimba wrote:
That makes sense -thanks. Also, I have had day trips to Paris in the past. When I try to put in same date for "When did you leave UK?" and "When did you return to UK?", it gives me an error saying "enter an end date that is after the start date".
The system with not take it using same day of departure and return as these are not recognised as absences. You won't be able to fill in the form however you can include such in your cover note.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:09 am

compwlk wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:39 pm
Also, I there is no place in the form to enter detail about my first Tier 2 visa. I have only entered current BRP card I hold. Is this right? I am guessing home office has detail of my previous employment/visa?
You do not need to give the UKVI information they have. Provide only whatever is asked. Also ONLY full days of absence count. Day trips are NOT considered absence from the UK

compwlk
Newly Registered

Post by compwlk » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:30 pm

Zimba wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:09 am
compwlk wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:39 pm
You do not need to give the UKVI information they have. Provide only whatever is asked. Also ONLY full days of absence count. Day trips are NOT considered absence from the UK
Great! Thank you.

compwlk
Newly Registered

Post by compwlk » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:30 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:29 am
compwlk wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:45 pm
Zimba wrote:
The system with not take it using same day of departure and return as these are not recognised as absences. You won't be able to fill in the form however you can include such in your cover note.
Thank you - I will include it in my cover letter just in case.

compwlk
Newly Registered

Post by compwlk » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:20 am

Hi again, I have submitted my application but I realised I forgot to state 1 country I lived in when I was young. What do I do? I don't think application is editable. Any help would be appreciated.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:47 am

compwlk wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:20 am
Hi again, I have submitted my application but I realised I forgot to state 1 country I lived in when I was young. What do I do? I don't think application is editable. Any help would be appreciated.
Ignore it. This is not an issue

compwlk
Newly Registered

Post by compwlk » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:33 pm

Zimba wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:47 am
compwlk wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:20 am
Ignore it. This is not an issue
Thanks again. Does the letter from employer saying "All absences were authorised" need to be dated BEFORE application date? Or can it be anytime between application date and biometric appointment?
Also, my list of documents to submit says "Letter(s) from employer(s) detailing reasons for
work-related absences including periods of paid annual leave from the UK and Crown Dependencies" and I am pretty terrified that my letter needs to be more detailed than one line on this matter...

Thanks again! Hopefully this is my last question!

compwlk
Newly Registered

Post by compwlk » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:32 am

In addition to my above question, when filling in consent form, if part 2 and part 3 doesn't apply to me, do I leave it blank?

Thanks

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:07 pm

A letter dated anytime before biometrics is ok. There is NO specific letter requirement: indefinite-leave-to-remain/tier-2-set-o ... l#p2027888

If you are applying on your own, then part 2 and 3 of the consent form are not relevant