ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Referee Declaration - Exact Steps

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

firmbeliever101
Newly Registered

How to enter multi-country absence

Post by firmbeliever101 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:22 pm

Hi,
I'm entering absences and am not sure how to enter an absence where I visited 2 countries on 1 trip. The form only allows you to enter a single country, and it wants to know the departure date and return date.

So, as an example, how would you enter this scenario:
July 1 - departed for country A
July 3 - traveled from country A to country B
July 5 - returned home from country B

Thanks in advance.

contorted_svy
Diamond Member
Italy

Re: How to enter multi-country absence

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:40 pm

You can enter the dates you left and came back, add a reference in the further information to please look at the cover letter in more detail, and then explain in the cover letter.

So I would enter, in your example:

July 1 2022 - left the UK
Visiting Country A
July 5 2022 - returned home

add a note: please see the cover letter for multi-country trip in July 2022

And then say in the cover letter that on July 3 you went from country A to B and you got back to the UK from country B.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:49 pm

firmbeliever101 wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:22 pm
Hi,
I'm entering absences and am not sure how to enter an absence where I visited 2 countries on 1 trip. The form only allows you to enter a single country, and it wants to know the departure date and return date.

So, as an example, how would you enter this scenario:
July 1 - departed for country A
July 3 - traveled from country A to country B
July 5 - returned home from country B

Thanks in advance.
I had several examples of this myself. What I did is that I simply added the second, and/or third countries as part of the "purpose of travel". E.g.

Purpose of travel: Plus Italy and Switzerland. Visiting friends and family.

Then I would just put dates of travel as just one big trip, so just the date in and out of UK. Worked without a problem.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

firmbeliever101
Newly Registered

Post by firmbeliever101 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:02 pm

Thanks to you both!

firmbeliever101
Newly Registered

Referee Declaration - Exact Steps

Post by firmbeliever101 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:59 pm

I've seen some posts here saying that the referee declarations don't need to be physically mailed or physically signed, but I'm unsure of what the whole process should be. Seems like at least of little bit of physical printing is still needed. Is something like this correct:
  • get physical photo printed, e.g. at a photo booth that does passport photos
  • print out the declaration
  • attach physical photo to the physical declaration
  • scan the declaration with photo attached so that I then have a PDF of the declaration with photo
  • use something like DocHub to send declaration PDF to referee and they will electronically sign it
  • I then have an electronically signed PDF that I can upload
Is that right? Also, is there a better or more preferred option than DocHub?

contorted_svy
Diamond Member
Italy

Re: Referee Declaration - Exact Steps

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:37 am

You can print off a picture on normal paper, it doesn't have to come form a photo booth (once its' scanned it won't make much difference anyway).
The referee can use an electronic signature that has been scanned and add it to the document, I don't think specific signature software like DocHub is needed.

So the steps are:

Print the picture
Print the form
Scan it
Send it to referee
Referee signs it (via DocHub, digital signature, or prints it, signs it, and scans it) and sends it back to you

Or

Add the picture to the pdf directly (there are free programs to do it online)
Send the form to the referee
Referee signs it and sends it back to you

In the first example you can only print it once
In the second example no printing is needed
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:54 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:37 am
Add the picture to the pdf directly (there are free programs to do it online)
Send the form to the referee
Referee signs it and sends it back to you

In the first example you can only print it once
In the second example no printing is needed
I'm the person who started the conversation about not ever having to physically do anything for referee forms, and this procedure is exactly what I meant.

With regards to pictures, today you can have your picture sent digitally to you instead of printed when you have your picture taken.

With regards to signatures, I think DocHub, DocuSign, and a few other online services let you sign up to five documents for free. Gmail let's you do it really easily from your Google drive, just upload the document to your drive, and it would guide you, see this tutorial . Once up, you fill the form with your name and select where your referees need to sign and date. I would ask them not to use the option of typed signature (since that would just be their typed name on a different font) rather ask them to either sign using their mouse or uploading a digital or scanned version of their signature (many people have this at the ready, since it's becoming very common).

Now, if you are not comfortable with all these tools and neither are your referees, then it might be easier to do it old school and print and scan and physically sign.

But just saying going all-digital is possible.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

firmbeliever101
Newly Registered

Post by firmbeliever101 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:23 am

Thank you so much! This helps a lot.