ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I view and submit my referee forms before payment?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

te23

Questions about NI and absences

Post by te23 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:20 am

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions about my application:

1. I spent one full year outside the country but meet the 450 days/90 days requirement. Could this create an issue? Should I make a list of trips outside the UK and upload it?

2. The paper form asks for proof of NI over the 5 years but the online form doesn't. Could someone confirm whether this is needed?**

3. Do you need to provide proof of employment?

4. I might be in between jobs when I apply. Do I say No when answering whether I am employed?

5. Can someone who has an engineering degree be my referee? He now works in IT and is not registered with a professional body.

**From the paper form:
8: Evidence of National Insurance contributions covering the relevant period:
• payslips
• P60’s
• letter or letters from your employer or employers confirming you have worked in their
employment including start and finish dates

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Questions about NI and absences

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:31 am

te23 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:20 am
Hello everyone,

1. I spent one full year outside the country but meet the 450 days/90 days requirement. Could this create an issue? No. Should I make a list of trips outside the UK and upload it? Yes - it's a requirement of the application.

2. The paper form asks for proof of NI over the 5 years but the online form doesn't. Could someone confirm whether this is needed?** Are you an EU national - then yes - this proves your residency. Otherwise No - your passport(s) are residency proof.

3. Do you need to provide proof of employment? No.

4. I might be in between jobs when I apply. Do I say No when answering whether I am employed? Yes - select "unemployed".

5. Can someone who has an engineering degree be my referee? He now works in IT and is not registered with a professional body. Best to use a professional from the official list. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ionals.pdf - Page25

**From the paper form:
8: Evidence of National Insurance contributions covering the relevant period:
• payslips
• P60’s
• letter or letters from your employer or employers confirming you have worked in their
employment including start and finish dates
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

te23

Post by te23 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:18 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:31 am
te23 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:20 am
Hello everyone,

1. I spent one full year outside the country but meet the 450 days/90 days requirement. Could this create an issue? No. Should I make a list of trips outside the UK and upload it? Yes - it's a requirement of the application.

2. The paper form asks for proof of NI over the 5 years but the online form doesn't. Could someone confirm whether this is needed?** Are you an EU national - then yes - this proves your residency. Otherwise No - your passport(s) are residency proof.

3. Do you need to provide proof of employment? No.

4. I might be in between jobs when I apply. Do I say No when answering whether I am employed? Yes - select "unemployed".

5. Can someone who has an engineering degree be my referee? He now works in IT and is not registered with a professional body. Best to use a professional from the official list. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ionals.pdf - Page25

Thank you for replying.

Unfortunately, I do not know anyone who meets the criteria from the official list. I know several doctors but they can't sign anymore I guess? I couldn't apply when I became eligble a few years ago for the same reason- can't find a professional referee.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:24 pm

I think there was a thread a while ago where someone knows a medical doctor (not his NHS GP) in a private capacity and used him a referee being a personal friend rather than his GP. Perhaps that's possible? Write a cover note explaining.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

te23

Can you get the fee back if you cancel the application?

Post by te23 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:52 am

Can you get the fee refunded if you withdraw before the biometrics?

Shah1698
Member of Standing

Re: Can you get the fee back if you cancel the application?

Post by Shah1698 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:18 pm

Yes
Shah

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:09 pm

Yes. It can take up to 6 weeks though. See this post.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

te23

Post by te23 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:52 am

Thank you.
Until what point can you can get the application fee back?
The problem is that a family friend was going to be a referee but he had a fall out with a family member, so now he's backed out and I can't find anyone else.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:11 pm

te23 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:52 am
Until what point can you can get the application fee back?
You can get a full refund if you have not attended a biometrics appointment or have not submitted your picture through the IDV app(for people who don't have to do biometrics).
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

te23

Effects of unemployment on BC application (and ILR)

Post by te23 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:26 pm

Will they scrutinise more if they see that I'm unemployed?
And is there a chance that they might revoke my ILR since I lost the job because of which I got ILR?

I am likely going to have to withdraw do you referee issues, but wanted to ask whether being unemployed is going to make it more likely to be rejected?

Shah1698
Member of Standing

Re: Effects of unemployment on BC application (and ILR)

Post by Shah1698 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:48 pm

It will not have any negative impact on your naturalisation application or on your ILR. So don’t worry.
Shah

te23

Post by te23 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:42 pm

Thank you. Just wondering if there's anyone of this board who successfully got BC being unemployed or knows anyone who did?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:47 pm

te23 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:42 pm
Thank you. Just wondering if there's anyone of this board who successfully got BC being unemployed or knows anyone who did?
Yes many. You really are over thinking this completely!!

Employment is Not a requirement for citizenship!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:13 am

te23 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:42 pm
No need to present you evidence of successful application, employment is not a requirement.

te23

Can I view and submit my referee forms before payment?

Post by te23 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:10 pm

I can't seem to find the form anywhere and it's the payment page already

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can I view and submit my referee forms before payment?

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:23 pm

Complete the paper one in link below and upload once referees have signed them and you have pasted your photo.

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... on_MN1.pdf
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:37 pm

te23 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:10 pm
I can't seem to find the form anywhere and it's the payment page already
FYI, you will see the form as well as the full checklist of documents you need to upload AFTER you have paid. See this post on how to find it.

te23

Post by te23 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:35 pm

Thank you.
I have another concern. HMRC told me that if I make less than 1k in a tax year from self employed income, then I don't need to file self assessment. Also, as this relates to the current year, I have until 5 October next year in case the amount goes over 1k, which I don't expect to happen.

However, is it necessary to register for self assessment for British Citizenship even if I make less than this from self employment?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:08 pm

If HMRC tell you that you don't need to file self-assessments for your circumstances then you don't have to - it's not a requirement for naturalisation, and you are going by the advice from HMRC. It won't do any harm to mention your self-employment in a separate note to your application and pointing out you are below the threshold.

te23

Post by te23 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:48 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:08 pm
If HMRC tell you that you don't need to file self-assessments for your circumstances then you don't have to - it's not a requirement for naturalisation, and you are going by the advice from HMRC. It won't do any harm to mention your self-employment in a separate note to your application and pointing out you are below the threshold.
Thank you. Should I not tick self employment under the employment section and then just explain in the cover letter?

contorted_svy
Diamond Member
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:04 pm

If you don't have to register for self assessment (from HMRC advice), I would say you don't have to tick the self-employed option for the purpose of the application.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:23 am

And as stated earlier employment is not a requirement