ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Shared Ownership - Public Funds?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

tnyc2023
Newly Registered
United States of America

Shared Ownership - Public Funds?

Post by tnyc2023 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:07 am

Hi there,

Was hoping someone could help me with this.

I'm currently on a Graduate Visa, soon to be switched to a Skilled Worker Visa through my employer. As we all know, this means I have no recourse to public funds (on either visa).

I'm interested in purchasing a flat through the Shared Ownership scheme, which will allow me to mortgage a certain percentage of a new-build flat, and then pay rent on the rest. Usually the owner of the remainder of the property is a housing association or the local council/authority themselves.

My question is:

I know that if the owner of the remainder of the property is a housing association, it's completely fine. I read this from the Migrant Access to Public Funds caseworker guidance found here https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ds-v18.pdf that "Where housing associations let their tenancies directly, the eligibility requirements do not apply," meaning it is not considered a public fund.

However, what I have been unable to figure out is if this is also the case for situations where the council is your landlord.

For clarity, the flat I am interested in is in a brand-new building commissioned by the local council of the area I am moving to, and will remain owned by them. Not a housing association funded by them -- the council themselves.

This means that the council would be my landlord for the portion of the flat I do not own, and I would pay the portion of the rent for the property I don't own to them.

Is this considered a public fund since it's coming directly from the council, or is it fine since I am not receiving any money from them?

blondesafari

Re: Shared Ownership - Public Funds?

Post by blondesafari » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:12 am

You won’t be able to qualify for a mortgage on a Graduate visa because that is not a path to citizenship. You’ll have to wait until you’re on the Skilled worker visa.

tnyc2023
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by tnyc2023 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:01 am

So far I’ve passed all the checks and they seem fine with the fact that I’ll be switching to the Skilled Worker Visa soon!

Any thoughts on the council thing though? Is that fine?

crosswind
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by crosswind » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:16 pm

Shared ownership or help-to-buy (now expired) is not classed as public funds for immigration purposes. In fact, I know a number of people on Tier 2 visas who have utilised Help to Buy.

The trouble with Shared Ownership most (if not all) councils and many housing associations require the applicant to have ILR.

If you get accepted, be happy!