ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

bank accounts etc

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

vickivickii

bank accounts etc

Post by vickivickii » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi all

hope you are all well!

My husband is albanian and in the UK on a spouse visa, he's back at work now and his salary is currently being paid into my account because he doesn't have a bank account.

Which bank is best to get an account with & which information will they need?

Also, we have booked our honeymoon to Maldives and it says its best to take a credit card there instead of lots of cash but my credit rating is horrendous - we're going in September and by then he would have been here 11 months - will he be able to get a credit card?

MAKUSA
BANNED

Credit card

Post by MAKUSA » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:25 pm

he needs to go open an account first, then he needs to write to the council and have his name put on the voters roll, then he needs to get a catalogue (freemans, kays) order from catalogue and pay for two months and then pay it off, then he needs to apply for a capital one credit card- https://www.capitalone.co.uk/creditcard ... cation.jsf. The first two steps are the most important.

vickivickii

Post by vickivickii » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:35 pm

thanks for your help First-Class Moron!!

is there a certain bank which is best for him to get an account with or is it any like us?

lesley15

Post by lesley15 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:30 pm

My hubby has just entered into the uk and i just got his name added to my account for quickness then later if we decide to do seperate accounts we can.All we needed was his passport and a utility bill with his name on and no probs.By the way i'm with Nationwide but i think it doesn't really matter.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:27 pm

Check out money saving expert site. There is a page that shows what banks are best for people with low or no credit scores to aid re/building credit and which ones give you a switch card etc.

Good advice from First-Class Moron, this is a classic route to enhanced credit scoring for those with no prior credit history in the UK.

MAKUSA
BANNED

Banks

Post by MAKUSA » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:31 pm

vickivickii wrote:thanks for your help First-Class Moron!!

is there a certain bank which is best for him to get an account with or is it any like us?
Barclays, Hsbc, Abbey, Halifax. the first two are great because they update regularly with equifax and experian (credit reference agencies)

lesley15

Re: Credit card

Post by lesley15 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:49 am

First-Class Moron wrote:he needs to go open an account first, then he needs to write to the council and have his name put on the voters roll, then he needs to get a catalogue (freemans, kays) order from catalogue and pay for two months and then pay it off, then he needs to apply for a capital one credit card- https://www.capitalone.co.uk/creditcard ... cation.jsf. The first two steps are the most important.
HI,can you please explain what i need to do to get hubbys name on the voters roll, is he likely to be allowed to be put on it as he is on a spouse visa?

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:53 am

What nationality is he? Unless he's from another Commonwealth country he will be unable to vote or to go onto the register.

lesley15

Post by lesley15 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:41 am

Casa wrote:What nationality is he? Unless he's from another Commonwealth country he will be unable to vote or to go onto the register.
He is from India

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:49 am

In which case, he won't be legally entitled to vote until he has been granted British Citizenship.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:56 pm

lesley15 wrote:
Casa wrote:What nationality is he? Unless he's from another Commonwealth country he will be unable to vote or to go onto the register.
He is from India
In which case he will be eligible to vote (since he is a Commonwealth citizen).

Interestingly, I do not think it matters which visa one is on (excepting a tourist visa); two of my old university flatmates, one from Pakistan and the other from Sri Lanka (and both on student visas) were able to vote in the national elections in 2005. I was rather surprised, and neither of them registered by themselves (i.e. they did not complete any forms themselves), and I still don't know who registered them (maybe from the university, or uni accommodation registration?).

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: bank accounts etc

Post by sakura » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:02 pm

vickivickii wrote:Hi all

hope you are all well!

My husband is albanian and in the UK on a spouse visa, he's back at work now and his salary is currently being paid into my account because he doesn't have a bank account.

Which bank is best to get an account with & which information will they need?

Also, we have booked our honeymoon to Maldives and it says its best to take a credit card there instead of lots of cash but my credit rating is horrendous - we're going in September and by then he would have been here 11 months - will he be able to get a credit card?
Here is the link to moneysavingexpert that FM mentioned.

According to the above website, Nationwide do not charge you for using your debit card overseas. If you can get a Visa debit card, then you can use it overseas, so no immediate need for a credit card.

I also hear good things about IMG Direct (high interest savings rates), but I think they only offer online banking?

vickivickii

Post by vickivickii » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:03 pm

thanks sakura. the reason we want to get a credit card is because the maldives do not take debit card, only major credit cards.

hamid84
Member of Standing

Post by hamid84 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:56 pm

He might not be able to get CC straight away however, other option is to get prepaid CC like Tuxedo...

Click http://www.tuxedo-eccount.co.uk/affiliates/mastercard/ for more details.