ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Married to a UK Citizen. Visa Options help appriciated

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

gimli
Newly Registered
Wales

Married to a UK Citizen. Visa Options help appriciated

Post by gimli » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:34 pm

Hi everyone

I am a US Citizen and have been studying in the UK since August 2007. I have just recently got married to a UK citizen and will be applying for my UK spouse Visa shortly to replace my current student visa.

I have a few questions and I am hoping that I can get some information from someone with experience in this, sorry in advance if there are too many questions!!

1. My current US passport with the UK student visa expires in December 2009. How soon can I renew this before the date of expiry.

2. Once this passport is renewed, will I have difficulty returning to the US after a prolonged absence, what I mean is, will there be similar situations as to if I were a green card holder etc.

3. We are, as mentioned applying for the UK spouse visa so I can remain here in the UK longer, we have not fully decided if we want to reside in the UK or the US. My husband is a teacher and it seems that at present, the benefits are better here in the UK. We have family in the US which we often visit, Is my husband eligible for applying for any other visa when we visit or must he still apply for the tourist one each time we go to the US.

4. (Last one) If we decide to move and live in the US in the future, Do I need to show that I have been living back in the US a set amount of time after being living in the UK, before applying for my husband to move to the US.

Again, sorry about asking so many questions (it's in my nature) but seriously, we had so much help with my student visa application from this site that this seemed the best place to ask

Thanks all in advance and we hope that you have a wonderful New Year

S&C

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:38 pm

Hello
I am a US Citizen and have been studying in the UK since August 2007. I have just recently got married to a UK citizen and will be applying for my UK spouse Visa shortly to replace my current student visa.

I have a few questions and I am hoping that I can get some information from someone with experience in this, sorry in advance if there are too many questions!!
before the date of expiry
1. My current US passport with the UK student visa expires in December 2009. How soon can I renew this .
Not sure.
2. Once this passport is renewed, will I have difficulty returning to the US after a prolonged absence, what I mean is, will there be similar situations as to if I were a green card holder etc.
I do not think that the US causes problems to it's own citizens
3. We are, as mentioned applying for the UK spouse visa so I can remain here in the UK longer, we have not fully decided if we want to reside in the UK or the US. My husband is a teacher and it seems that at present, the benefits are better here in the UK. We have family in the US which we often visit, Is my husband eligible for applying for any other visa when we visit or must he still apply for the tourist one each time we go to the US.
When you apply for a spouse visa you must intend to settle in the UK. Not sure about the US aspect.
4. (Last one) If we decide to move and live in the US in the future, Do I need to show that I have been living back in the US a set amount of time after being living in the UK, before applying for my husband to move to the US.
I doubt it.

gimli
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by gimli » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:59 pm

Hi Thanks PaperPusher.

I guess we need to keep searching out some more answers but thanks for the response.

Its the spouse US visa which we are mainly trying to fathom out and if there is a way that we can enter together as husband and wife rather than the conventional way of applying for the VWP bit etc

Cheers

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:25 pm

1. Why don't you want to switch to a spouse visa?

2. NO! But you should think about would you like to become a British citizen first.

3. To visit - tourist visa or VWP. To live - spouse visa, generally.

4. Search for "Direct Consular Filing".