ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British National - Getting married in India - Please advise

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sum-img

British National - Getting married in India - Please advise

Post by sum-img » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:47 am

Hi There,

Hope someone can help me. Got my British nationality this month (previously nationality - Indian and Indian by birth) and will be getting my British passport in three weeks time.

I went to India in December 2008 and while my visit I got engaged there as well. Obviously she is an Indian National. Now getting married in May 2009. Guys I need your help and advise for all the paper work needed to get married and bring my wife (after marriage) here.

Looking forward to get some help please.

Regards

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:41 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sum-img

Post by sum-img » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:07 pm

Thanks Vinny for your kind help. One thing I would like to ask, DO I need any sort of permission from Home Office to get married in India?

Please advise.

Cheers,

lesley15

Post by lesley15 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:00 pm

No .I got married in India in December 2007.You have to get the wedding registered ,take all the paperwork from the temple with you,both your passports and photos and both go to the registar and he will give you the marriage certificate,once you have got that submit all your paperwork to the Embassy including marriage certificate.

sum-img

Post by sum-img » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:16 am

lesley15 wrote:No .I got married in India in December 2007.You have to get the wedding registered ,take all the paperwork from the temple with you,both your passports and photos and both go to the registar and he will give you the marriage certificate,once you have got that submit all your paperwork to the Embassy including marriage certificate.
Thank mate. Few things if possible.

1. Do I need to book register date in advance. Somebody told me I have to inform atleast a month before, something like that.

2. Once the marriage is registered, after how long I will get the marriage certificate.

3. How long it will take my wife to get here in the country.

4. I did not the point in which you said, take all the paperwork from the the temple???

Cheers,

Prem

Post by Prem » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:56 pm

Are you both over 21?

I got married in India at the end of 2007.

sum-img

Post by sum-img » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:42 pm

Prem wrote:Are you both over 21?

I got married in India at the end of 2007.
I am around 30 and she is around 26. Can you please brief me any complications. After how long your wife came to this country...

lesley15

Post by lesley15 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:38 am

My husband just went to the registar and gave the certificate he got from the temple he then collected the certificate 3 days later.The paper work we got from the temple was a certificate which proves you have got married and has witnesses signature on it.
The length of time it will take for your wife to get here depends on a lot of things ie whether she has to be interviewed,if she gets refused and has to appeal or if she is sucessful and just gets granted her visa.

sum-img

Post by sum-img » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:09 pm

lesley15 wrote:My husband just went to the registar and gave the certificate he got from the temple he then collected the certificate 3 days later.The paper work we got from the temple was a certificate which proves you have got married and has witnesses signature on it.
The length of time it will take for your wife to get here depends on a lot of things ie whether she has to be interviewed,if she gets refused and has to appeal or if she is sucessful and just gets granted her visa.
I did not know you can get certificate from temple. My understanding is to get a proper certificate from the registrar office something like that.

lesley15

Post by lesley15 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:27 pm

Yes the marriage is registered at the registar but the certificate you get at the temple is to show the ceremony took place and you,your wife and 2 witnesses sign on it.

sum-img

Post by sum-img » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:03 pm

sum-img wrote:
Thanks Vinny for your kind help. One thing I would like to ask, DO I need any sort of permission from Home Office to get married in India?

Please advise.

Cheers,
hi vinny,

Just gone through all the links which you sent me. Just clearing some points, according to one of URL below,

http://ukinindia.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for ... arriage-or

The third points says "residence in the district for a period of not less than thirty days immediately preceding the date on which the notice of intended marriage is given."

Does this means I need to be physcially present in India for 30 days before I get registered?

After how long they will issue the certificate...???