ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

2 year spouse visa and leaving UK.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Paulhino
Newly Registered

2 year spouse visa and leaving UK.

Post by Paulhino » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:44 pm

Does anyone know what the regulations (if there is one) about leaving the UK whilst holding a 2 year spouse visa. How long is one legally allowed to be away, especially when it comes to applying for the ILR?

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:49 pm

They are no fast rules about this. If you intend to go on holiday or short period visits between 1-8 weeks in the two year period, you should have no problems.

If on the other hand you are making several of these visits within this period, you will probally have to apply for further leave to remain to make up the two years, as the Home Office will say you are not making the Uk your permanant home, for which you have been issued a visa.

Paulhino
Newly Registered

Post by Paulhino » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:52 am

batleykhan wrote:They are no fast rules about this. If you intend to go on holiday or short period visits between 1-8 weeks in the two year period, you should have no problems.

If on the other hand you are making several of these visits within this period, you will probally have to apply for further leave to remain to make up the two years, as the Home Office will say you are not making the Uk your permanant home, for which you have been issued a visa.
Thanks,

I spoke to several people in the Home Office who couldn't give me definite answer. I've been offered a job outside the UK and I either stay in the UK and remain jobless (with no recourse to public funds) or take the job elsewhere and return home every 2months.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:47 am

Paulhino wrote:
batleykhan wrote:They are no fast rules about this. If you intend to go on holiday or short period visits between 1-8 weeks in the two year period, you should have no problems.

Thanks,

I spoke to several people in the Home Office who couldn't give me definite answer. I've been offered a job outside the UK and I either stay in the UK and remain jobless (with no recourse to public funds) or take the job elsewhere and return home every 2months.
Do you have a work permit for this job?

I suspect you might have problems obtaining ILR if you're only in the UK a couple of days every two months...

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:54 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Paulhino
Newly Registered

Post by Paulhino » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:16 pm

sakura wrote:
Paulhino wrote:

Thanks,

Do you have a work permit for this job?

I suspect you might have problems obtaining ILR if you're only in the UK a couple of days every two months...

I do have a work permit for my current job outside the UK. I spent the last 16 months of the 2 years in the UK till I was made redudant.

Thanks Vinnie. That did make things a bit clearer.