ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Homeless immigrants flown home

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

global gypsy

Homeless immigrants flown home

Post by global gypsy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:28 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7925499.stm

And H.O. keeps putting more obstacles for highly skilled immigrants from outside the EU?
Great policy indeed!

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:10 am

"I feel very good because I'm going home," Christof said. "But I feel bad because of the alcohol."

Doesn't mention HO. An alcoholic waster has been helped to return voluntarily to Poland. Sounds like a good idea.

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:54 am

Mr Rusty wrote:Doesn't mention HO. An alcoholic waster has been helped to return voluntarily to Poland. Sounds like a good idea.
Looks like you missed the point I was making.
I am talking about the policy of allowing all and sundry from EU to come into the UK (without any checks for skills, language fluency, etc.), thus leading to their being unemployed and supported by taxpayers.
At the same time, they keep raising new obstacles for highly skilled immigrants from non-EU countries.
Surely this is HO/Govt policy?

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:45 pm

Well considering that our EU freedom policy is unlikely to change anytime soon, this is still good work as it takes them out of the UK, makes them happier and keeps the streets a little bit more bum free. :wink:

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:20 pm

this is still good work as it takes them out of the UK, makes them happier and keeps the streets a little bit more bum free
They can get off the coach or plane, take the next flight or bus back to UK and nobody can stop them.

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:26 pm

If they wanted to do that they would just stay anyway! They're not being deported they're being offered plane tickets.

"Immigrants offered plane tickets"

:roll:

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:22 pm

Well, the UK could withdraw from the EU. All those people on EEA family permits would not be happy when they found they could not stay in the UK. And all the people who become Naturalised British citizens and then find they cannot work in the EU any longer would welcome a move like that I am sure.

It is up to the UK to decide that they want to be in the EU and have treaties with other countries as they wish.

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Being part of EU shouldn't mean that you don't have any restrictions at all on who can come in. Recently I took the Life in the UK test, and somewhere in the prep book it says EU citizens can work elsewhere in the EU 'subject to certain conditions'. Are these conditions just things like no criminal record, or do they also include, at the very least, knowledge of the target country's language?
I feel this should apply especially in the case of EU, with very little overlap in languages across member countries.
It's ironical that, say, someone from the US or Australia would be required to have good knowledge of English to come here as an immigrant! And why restrict Life in the UK requirement only to non-EU citizens?

Whole thing is so bizarre.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:21 am

global gypsy wrote:Being part of EU shouldn't mean that you don't have any restrictions at all on who can come in. Recently I took the Life in the UK test, and somewhere in the prep book it says EU citizens can work elsewhere in the EU 'subject to certain conditions'. Are these conditions just things like no criminal record, or do they also include, at the very least, knowledge of the target country's language?
I feel this should apply especially in the case of EU, with very little overlap in languages across member countries.
It's ironical that, say, someone from the US or Australia would be required to have good knowledge of English to come here as an immigrant! And why restrict Life in the UK requirement only to non-EU citizens?

Whole thing is so bizarre.
EU/EEA citizens do not need to take the Life in the UK test because, under European regulations, they obtain permanent residency automatically (or, cannot be required, under the regulation, to take/pass or pay for any tests or applications). Unfortunately this does mean that someone with little or no English language ability could become a permanent resident; they do, however, need to take the test to naturalise as a British citizen (and also pay the required fees).

There are very few restrictions that a country can place to restrict EU/EEA citizens from immigrating. Mostly security or health risks, or adverse criminal records. The whole point of the "free movement of labour" is to reduce the restrictions to a bare minimum (i.e. must work or be self-sufficient, not be a drain on the public purse, etc).

British citizens are also, I believe, one of the largest immigrant groups across the EU/EEA, are they not? So they benefit a great deal from the free movement regulation.

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:50 pm

sakura wrote:EU/EEA citizens do not need to take the Life in the UK test because, under European regulations, they obtain permanent residency automatically (or, cannot be required, under the regulation, to take/pass or pay for any tests or applications). Unfortunately this does mean that someone with little or no English language ability could become a permanent resident;
British citizens are also, I believe, one of the largest immigrant groups across the EU/EEA, are they not? So they benefit a great deal from the free movement regulation.
Yes, I am aware of all this. What I was suggesting was what should be the policy.
I am also for a Brit to show fluency in, say, Swedish, if he/she decides to go live in Sweden.
"Homeless in Stockholm" is something to be avoided just as "Homeless in London" is.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:43 pm

global gypsy wrote: Yes, I am aware of all this. What I was suggesting was what should be the policy.
I am also for a Brit to show fluency in, say, Swedish, if he/she decides to go live in Sweden.
"Homeless in Stockholm" is something to be avoided just as "Homeless in London" is.
This goes against the idea of free movement of labour within the EU which allows the labour force to adapt to the changing economic conditions within each member state.