ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What next after EEA2?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

mellowd
Newly Registered

What next after EEA2?

Post by mellowd » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:37 am

Hi there.

I'm a South African citizen who has lived in the UK for almost 5 years now. I originally came here in August 2004 on a 2 year working holiday visa. I met my future wife at my first place of work and we got married in April 2006.

My wife is Hungarian and originally was working without first getting her worker registration card. She applied and received the card in February of 2006.

I then applied for a FMRS and received that eventually. When that was due to expire I applied for the EEA2 visa and received that one eventually as well.

My current visa expires on 2012 though my current passport expires in 2010. Is it correct that I can apply for a new passport yet still keep my old one to show my visa? Is it also possible to get my visa moved into my newer passport while still keeping the current date on it?

Secondly, and more importantly, what is the next step forward? I would eventually like to become a British citizen but I'm not sure which is the next way to head for.

I assume I can apply for indefinate leave to remain eventually. When will I be able to do this though? Do I need to wait for my wife to apply for ILR first and then apply when she has finished that? When can I then apply to be a British citizen? Straight after I get my ILR? By that time I probably would've been in the UK for 6-7 years so I see no problem with that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

edro

Re: What next after EEA2?

Post by edro » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:26 am

[quote="mellowd"]Hi there.

I'm a South African citizen who has lived in the UK for almost 5 years now. I originally came here in August 2004 on a 2 year working holiday visa. I met my future wife at my first place of work and we got married in April 2006.

My wife is Hungarian and originally was working without first getting her worker registration card. She applied and received the card in February of 2006.

I then applied for a FMRS and received that eventually. When that was due to expire I applied for the EEA2 visa and received that one eventually as well.

My current visa expires on 2012 though my current passport expires in 2010. Is it correct that I can apply for a new passport yet still keep my old one to show my visa? Is it also possible to get my visa moved into my newer passport while still keeping the current date on it?

Secondly, and more importantly, what is the next step forward? I would eventually like to become a British citizen but I'm not sure which is the next way to head for.

I assume I can apply for indefinate leave to remain eventually. When will I be able to do this though? Do I need to wait for my wife to apply for ILR first and then apply when she has finished that? When can I then apply to be a British citizen? Straight after I get my ILR? By that time I probably would've been in the UK for 6-7 years so I see no problem with that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks![/quote]
hi
i'll answer what i can
you can transfer your visa to the new pasport but it will take ages to get it back so better if you use both pasport togather or (the best way is to extend your pasport through your ebassy,you need to hold ilr for one year before u apply for british, i think but i'm not sure you can apply for ilr with your wife if you been togather for more than 3 years.