ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

wife visa /benefits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Nazz

wife visa /benefits

Post by Nazz » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:07 pm

Dear All

Due to the fact that we are going through this economic uncertainty, a job is not guaranteed anymore.

Question:

What if a sponsor (ILR status) who has a wife (on marriage visa for two years) looses his job, can he claim benefits?

Obviously the wife can’t claim benefits as her residency permit states that no resource to public funds.

So can the sponsor claim benefits till he can find another job?

I did ask a lawyer and he told me that I can claim JSA for myself and not Housing benefit because wife is living with me, how true is this?

If a sponsor looses his job, and if he claims housing benefit, will this have negative effect on his wife's 2 years residency upon renewal?

Nazz

Post by Nazz » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:45 pm

Thank you for posting the link, but this not an answer my quaestion, if i need articles like these then i know where i can find them, nio need to post them

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:55 pm

How is that helpful?

To the OP:
Are there any children in the household? It's not that the ILR holder can't apply for benefits, it's that he may not be in reciept of *more* benefits based on the wife being in the house.

Nazz

Post by Nazz » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:44 am

Thanks yankee girl

In fact I have ILR and my wife is on 2 years spouse visa, there is a great chance that I might loose my job, out of my control.

I was told by a lawyer that if I end up unemployed I can claim JSA but not Housing Benefit as my wife is living with me. Even if I apply under my name only to Housing Benefit this will have negative effect on my wife’s application as she will apply for her ILR in 5 month time. (Renewal of her spouse visa)

How on the earth can someone pay the rent if he looses his job, without resorting to benefits? The lawyer's answer to my question did not convince me.

I thought someone on this forum might know the answer or has been in situation like this.

If I may, I need to add one last comment, I myself don’t want to resort to public funds, I have a professional job, and want to stick to it, but we are going through hard economic times that are beyond out control.

zaphod
Newly Registered

Post by zaphod » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:54 pm

The lawyer is wrong, you absolutely claim Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance if you meet the income criteria. You are not allowed to get a higher rate of benefit because your wife is living with you, but this is not a problem as the Housing Benefit/LHA rates for a single person with no children and a couple with no children are the same.

khan85

Post by khan85 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:05 pm

hi i am in a similar situation

ive lost my job and im pregnant aswell and my husbands wage is not enough to pay rent, bills etc etc

i have tried looking for jobs but these days its real hard and to make matters worse im expecting so its extra hard.

what benefits can i apply for?? that wont affect my husbands ILR in future

lesley15

Post by lesley15 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi,
I have replied to your pm but i don't think you have seen it.Hope my info helps.

Nazz

Post by Nazz » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:40 am

Thank you lesley15 for the response, mighty nice of you

Nazz

Post by Nazz » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:41 am

Thank you lesley15 for the response, mighty nice of you

sams

Post by sams » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:55 pm

lesley15 wrote:Hi,
I have replied to your pm but i don't think you have seen it.Hope my info helps.
Hi

Can you please post the answer here, as I am in the same boat as well.

Thanks.