ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

In-Person applicants experiences

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

niruv

In-Person applicants experiences

Post by niruv » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:15 pm

Hi,
In Person applications are accepted from 6th of April 2009.
If anyone has already finished his appointment, please share your experiences here.

Thanks!!
Niruv

bonvivz

New Application or Extension!

Post by bonvivz » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:11 am

Hi Niruv,

is your application for new application or extension? have you managed to take an appointment?..

Regards,

bon

bond

Post by bond » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:41 am

HI All,

I Have my appointment on 5th of may in glassgow, Guy Please share you experiences if any one attend before,

Regards
Bond

niruv

Post by niruv » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:39 am

It is for extension.
I have already booked appointment.

bond

Post by bond » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:21 pm

HI niruv

Can you pls let me know when is your appointment for extension, mine is on 5th of may for extension,

Regards
Pavan

Sten

Post by Sten » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:45 pm

Hi All,

has anyone got appointment for extension on 5th of may in Glasgow ?

please share your experiences

Regards
sten
Good luck !

bond

Post by bond » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:52 pm

HI Sten,

Yes i have my appointment on 5th of may in glasgow, hope you too,

Regards
Bond

wphsmpteir1

Post by wphsmpteir1 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:26 pm

Hi,

I am trying to figure out if HSMP (after March-2007) applicants can apply for extension under Tier-1 in person at PEO, found two contradictory links at BIA website

This says OK for Point-based Tier-1 extension
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/conta ... oservices/

This says NO for HSMP extension
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/conta ... available/

under Specific schemes...

This is really confussing !!

bonvivz

how long before we can apply for extension in PEO

Post by bonvivz » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:16 pm

bond wrote:HI niruv

Can you pls let me know when is your appointment for extension, mine is on 5th of may for extension,

Regards
Pavan
Hi Pavan,

can you update us when does your leave expire and how long before you are applying in PEO?..

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Regards,

bon

bonvivz

Sharing!

Post by bonvivz » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:19 pm

niruv wrote:It is for extension.
I have already booked appointment.
Hi Niruv,

Thanks for sharing!.. can yu update how long before you are applying for extension from your current leave to remain?

also can you share when does your leave expires and your appointment date.. I havent booked yet.. my current leave to remain is due to expire in june last week.

Regards

bon

ssvgopal

Post by ssvgopal » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:11 pm

wphsmpteir1 wrote:Hi,

I am trying to figure out if HSMP (after March-2007) applicants can apply for extension under Tier-1 in person at PEO, found two contradictory links at BIA website

This says OK for Point-based Tier-1 extension
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/conta ... oservices/

This says NO for HSMP extension
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/conta ... available/

under Specific schemes...

This is really confussing !!
Hi wphsmpteir1,

You can apply again (from HSMP) to HSMP at PEO.
You can extend your existing leave(from HSMP) by switching to Tier 1(skilled) at PEO.

Hope this helps.

ssvgopal

Post by ssvgopal » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:14 pm

bond wrote:HI Sten,

Yes i have my appointment on 5th of may in glasgow, hope you too,

Regards
Bond
Hi Bond,

When did you book for this appointment?

Your response will give us an idea how early we need call for the appointment.

Cheers,
Sai

wphsmpteir1

Post by wphsmpteir1 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:58 pm

Thanks for clarification -

I think it is sort of repeat question, but would be good to clarify.

My current leave to remain expires on 26-July-2009 (this was granted for two years)

1) When can I apply for extension under Tier-1

2) When ie how soon it is advicable to book appointment at PEO Crydon

3) Do I need to show my Degree certificate and IELTS scrore again, since I had produced them in June-2007 for my first HSMP application

4) While extending in Tier-1, do the points for AGE take into consideration the two years since last application. This was the case in earlier HSMP extension...

5) I have an over-18 dependent, do I need to show their economic activity, so their passport and presence in person at PEO suffice, as used to be the case in good old days.

Thanks a lot guys for sharing your suggestions and guidance

bonvivz

Guys plz respond!

Post by bonvivz » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:16 pm

wphsmpteir1 wrote:Thanks for clarification -

I think it is sort of repeat question, but would be good to clarify.

My current leave to remain expires on 26-July-2009 (this was granted for two years)

1) When can I apply for extension under Tier-1

2) When ie how soon it is advicable to book appointment at PEO Crydon

3) Do I need to show my Degree certificate and IELTS scrore again, since I had produced them in June-2007 for my first HSMP application

4) While extending in Tier-1, do the points for AGE take into consideration the two years since last application. This was the case in earlier HSMP extension...

5) I have an over-18 dependent, do I need to show their economic activity, so their passport and presence in person at PEO suffice, as used to be the case in good old days.

Thanks a lot guys for sharing your suggestions and guidance
Thats what we are trying to assess... guys plz share..
I havent taken the appointment yet.

bond

Post by bond » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:37 am

HI All,

My current 2 years visa expires on july 3, i have booked 2 months in advance, they are giving appointment for only 6 weeks,

Regards
Bond

bonvivz

Thanks!

Post by bonvivz » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:12 am

bond wrote:HI All,

My current 2 years visa expires on july 3, i have booked 2 months in advance, they are giving appointment for only 6 weeks,

Regards
Bond
Thanks bond... I am due to get an appointment , i am planning to get 1 in the 1st week of June and my visa is due to expire in the last week of June!

niruv

Post by niruv » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:22 pm

Hi Guys/gals,

I am glad to tell you that my visa got extended yesterday for three years(i.e on 14-April-2009).

More details:

Application Details: Extension (Switching from HSMP to Tier1) NOT JR
Appointment Details: (Inperson/Premium service) Called HO on 05/03/2009 and got the appointment slot for 14/04/2009
Appointment Time: 09:00 AM
Visa Center: East Croydon
Fee Paid: £1020.00

My Experiences on 14/04/2009

08:00 AM Reached Visa center
There is a seperate Queue for premium applicants and there are not many people in the queue through out the day, may be because it is because of appointment

based.

08:10 AM Security allowed us into the visa center. Had undergone airport type security checks and ended up in another queue.

08:15 AM I was asked to show my application form in the queue to confirm that I am applying for Tier 1.

08:20 AM Each one of us in the queue were called to the counter where the staff will categorize the visa type and will be given the reference number. Now it

is my turn and I went to the counter.

At this counter I was asked the following questions
a) Purpose of visit?
b) Do you have an appointment?
c) Appointment reference number?
Handed over my application and passport.
Verified and stamped on applicaiton.
d) Do you have any dependents?
e) Are you Single or Married?
f) I was asked to read paragraph shown at the counter. This paragraph is to verbally confirm that once the fee paid cannot be withdrawn.

Now I got ticket (reference number). This ticket is very important which you need to show at different counters.

08:40 AM I was guided to first floor by the security staff to pay the applicaiton fee.

08:42 AM Went to first floor. At the payment counter I gave my application and Ticket. Verified and paid the amount £1020.00 thru debit card. Then the she

(staff) striked off my payment details in the applicaiton.
Then I was to asked to sit in the ticket calling area. It is in the same floor. Just opposite to the payment counter.

09:10 AM Call for my ticket number and I went to the counter.

The lady here asked my ticket and application at first.
As the staff are very new these type of appliations so they were not fully aware of rules. She (Counter staff) said to me that it is the first applicaiton

they are dealing with.

Conversation went like this

Staff: Are you extending you visa.
Me: Yes

Staff: Are you switching from Student/Poststudy to Tier 1
Me: No. I am switching from HSMP to Tier 1

Staff: Does your application come under Transitional arrangements?
Me: No.
Here another lady (staff) came and said to the main staff that my application fall under Transitional arrangements.
Me: I explained that my current leave expires in next month and i am switching from HSMP to Tier 1 General visa.

Staff: Oh is it!! We are new to the rules.
Me: Just gave a smile :)
She had a sheet which says go to Page 9 for applicant details.

Staff: She asked me she couldn't find page 9
Me: It is page 10 and there is no number for page 9 as it is just an info for the applicants saying "If you are producing a double-sided copy...."
She carried on looking into my application from Page 10. Referring to section 3A...

Staff: Are you claiming points for age?
She was about to tick the Age seciton in section 3A
Me: The section you are referring does not applicable to me. My details are found from Section 3C

Staff: So you don't need to fill these pages?

Staff: We are new and we are learning them.
Then she started looking from section 3C and had a glance at the rest of the pages. She called another staff to asist her in entering the details into their

system.
Looking at my appliation form, While entering the details.,

Staff: Can I have your educational certificates?
Me: Sure.
Gave my Master's certificate and Degree certificate with the english langauge letter.
(Though these documents are not necessary, still i took them just to be on the safer side)

Staff: Can I have your bank statements and Payslips?
Me: Sure
Gave my bank statements, pay slips and P60
She started entering all my details into the system to calculate the points. Looks somewhat similar to points based calculator.

Staff: In which state did you study your masters?
Me: Tamilnadu

Staff: How long was that course?
Me: 3 Years

Staff: Shall I select 3 or less than 4?

Staff: Are you sure is your masters a 3 year course?
Me: Yes. It is 3 years

Staff (Who is asisting her): No masters is 3 year long.
Me: In india MCA is 3 year long.
Staff: Ok. With strange expression on the face

Staff: When did you enter UK?
Me: June 2007

Staff: You have given payslips from June 2008, then where are your payslips from June 2007?
Me: Because I am claiming points from JUne 2008. It is not necessary to submit more than 12 months payslips. As per the guidence I can only claim for any 12

month period 15 months prior to my application.

Staff: Is it?
Looked at each other.
Staff: Wait let me find out.
Me: ok
She called to someone and enquired over phone.
Came back and counted and started looking into my payslips

Staff: There are only 10 months payslips where are the other two months payslips?
Me: I am claiming only for 10 months and it is not necessary to claim for the whole period.
I explained her in detail saying, as per guidance notes, as long as I meet the required earnings points I am eligible for extension....

Staff: Why are you just claiming for 10 months? Were you not working before?
Me: These 10 months payslips are from my current employer and now I dont have proper proof to show the earnings from my previous employer.

Staff: Is this all your 10 months bank statements?

Staff: We just need to your last 3 months bank statements.
And she gave me the rest.
I was wondered about what they are doing.
But I just kept quit.
she asking to another guy (staff), I couldn't listen properly what she was asking, and then she replied to that guy 'Yes he is economically active'
And I was told to wait for a while.

Then after sometime she again called someone over phone (probably senior officer).
She came back and took all my bank statements again and pinned along with my payslips and P60.
Oh god bit relief for me.
She entered all the possible applicaiton details into the system

Staff: It is much paper work involved in these applicaitons
Me: Smiled.

After two hours long,
Staff: It is all done by me. I have done all the stuff what I could do. Now I need to send it to my supervisor and she will
verify my work and if everything goes fine you will get your visa extended till May 2012. This might take around 1 hour to 1.30 hours.
Sit here somewhere near where I could see you. Once I get the decision I will call you. By that time if you want you can go out and come.

Me: Ok Thank you. May I know what has been done till now? Did you just register my case or did you actually consider my case?
What is the next stage called?
Staff:I have done initial verificaiton here it looks ok for me and my supervisor has to decide. So your case is still under consideraiton.
Me: Ok thank you.
They are so polite to answer all my questions and through out the day, all the staff are happy to assist.
I just saw the clock and it was around 11:30 AM
I came back at around 12:30 PM. And sat on the becnch oppoiste to her counter and saw and noded her head.
She was looking into another tier 1 case. This time she is better in dealing. As I could see she was not asking that many silly questions.

Around 12:45 PM she called me
Staff: I havn't heard anything about your case. You may have to wait for some more time.
Me: Ya sure.
Thought, What else I could do. It is anyway better than postal.

Around 01:15 PM she completed with current case and went to his superrior to handover that case and came back.
She Called me
Staff: They are considering your case. So you will come to know.
Me: Ok

She went for lunch and came back around 02:00 PM and started dealing with other cases

03:00 PM When she was not dealing with anyone, I went and asked her about my case whether did she get any info on that.
Staff: I still didn't get any info, but Wait let me find out for you.
She came back
Staff: They are still considering your case.
Me: So long? :)
Staff: They were considering your case and were half way thru then they took a break for lunch, and now they started looking into your case.

04:15: She saw me and went to find out about my case
Staff: They are still looking.
Me: Oh is it! Are they finding difficult? Do they need more extra info on my case?
Staff: No no it is nothing to do with you. There are only four case workers working on all tier 1,2,3 and 4 applications
and there are more cases today, so it is workload for them.
Me: Will I get the decision today?
Staff: Ya sure by the end of the day you should get it.

Around 04:50 PM She got my papers. I could see them. I was bit tensed. Waited for 5 minutes. she was entering all the
details and looks stressed. She didn't call me. Then I went I asked her

Around 05:00 PM
Me: Is everything OK?
Staff: Ya all the paper work is done. Dont worry it is all done. I have some details to enter into my system for the records.

After a while around 10 mins she called me and started saying "I am really sorry to tell you...." before finishing her words my thougts went somewhere, she

was about to say "sorry to keep you waiting"
Thank god I didn't hear anything bad!!

Me: Is my case decided?
Staff: Ya your visa is approved and we need to stamp your visa and it might take around an hour.
And she handed over me some letter.
I read it, Whow I am so happy to read "YOUR APPLICATION IS APPROVED!!!!!!!:)))))))"
Usually this approal letter will be given along with the passport.
But she just gave me I dont know why.

Staff: Handed over all my documents and told me wait at help desk counter.
I waited for around 45 Mins and around 06:00 PM I was called to counter and they handed over my passport
Me: Thank yOu with a BIG SMILE

Help desk Staff: Called my ticket number.
Me: Shown my ticket
Help desk Staff: Your stay in United kingdom has been extended until 2012 and please check your name and other details on the visa.
I Checked all the details.
Me: All the details are fine. Thank YOu
Other stuff that might be useful to know.
-> Total time I spent 08 AM to 06 PM.
-> This might not be same with all. As the person who dealt my case was new, it took so long time.
Two of my friends have booked appointment in liverpool and one got at visa at 02:00 PM and the other 03:30 PM appointments are 09:00AM and 10:00 AM respectively.
-> Seems in croydon might take more time than the other centers.
-> My friend's leave expires in Feb 2010 but he got 3 years extension from Feb 2010 and not from the current date.
-> To book an appointment best time is 09:00 AM
Call on 08706067766
-> It is better to carry all the necessary documents. No harm in that.
Though i explained them my masters, bachelors degree and english language letter are not nessary, as I have proved all of them in the initial hsmp, still they asked me. So I gave it.
-> Carry your appointment reference number also.
-> If your applying for your dependents, you don't need to take dependents with you.
-> £50.00 more for each dependent apart from £1020.00 for the main applicant

Cheers,
Niruv
Last edited by niruv on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jd
Member of Standing

Post by jd » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:59 pm

Congrats Niruv

you great mate.. Thanks for your time.

My leave is expiring by end of Nov and planning to apply for extension in Aug. I was in doubt whether I can apply that early but as you told about your friend, I'm much more confident now.

Thanks,
JD

bonvivz

Congrats!

Post by bonvivz » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:16 pm

Hi Niruv,

Firstly.. a very congratulations to you!.. Well done mate!.Couple of areas confused me :
----

---

Now.. I am on HSMP issued in June 2007 and If I am not wrong we are extending under TIER 1... if its a switching as u mentioned, does that mean we require Masters degree???...

can you please clarify...

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

bon
niruv wrote:Hi Guys/gals,

I am glad to tell you that my visa got extended yesterday for three years(i.e on 14-April-2009).

More details:

Appointment Details: (Inperson/Premium service) Called HO on 05/03/2009 and got the appointment slot for 14/04/2009

There is a seperate Queue for premium applicants and there are not many people in the queue through out the day, may be because it is because of appointment

based.

08:10 AM Security allowed us into the visa center. Had undergone airport type security checks and ended up in another queue.

08:15 AM I was asked to show my application form in the queue to confirm that I am applying for Tier 1.

08:20 AM Each one of us in the queue were called to the counter where the staff will categorize the visa type and will be given the reference number. Now it

a) Purpose of visit?
f) I was asked to read paragraph shown at the counter. This paragraph is to verbally confirm that once the fee paid cannot be withdrawn.

Now I got ticket (reference number). This ticket is very important which you need to show at different counters.

08:40 AM I was guided to first floor by the security staff to pay the applicaiton fee.

08:42 AM Went to first floor. At the payment counter I gave my application and Ticket. Verified and paid the amount £1020.00 thru debit card. Then the she

Then I was to asked to sit in the ticket calling area. It is in the same floor. Just opposite to the payment counter.

As the staff are very new these type of appliations so they were not fully aware of rules. She (Counter staff) said to me that it is the first applicaiton

they are dealing with.

Here another lady (staff) came and said to the main staff that my application fall under Transitional arrangements.
Me: I explained that my current leave expires in next month and i am switching from HSMP to Tier 1 General visa.

Me: It is page 10 and there is no number for page 9 as it is just an info for the applicants saying "If you are producing a double-sided copy...."
She carried on looking into my application from Page 10. Referring to section 3A...

Me: The section you are referring does not applicable to me. My details are found from Section 3C

Then she started looking from section 3C and had a glance at the rest of the pages. She called another staff to asist her in entering the details into their

system.

Gave my Master's certificate and Degree certificate with the english langauge letter.
(Though these documents are not necessary, still i took them just to be on the safer side)

She started entering all my details into the system to calculate the points. Looks somewhat similar to points based calculator.

Staff: You have given payslips from June 2008, then where are your payslips from June 2007?
Me: Because I am claiming points from JUne 2008. It is not necessary to submit more than 12 months payslips. As per the guidence I can only claim for any 12

Looked at each other.

Staff: There are only 10 months payslips where are the other two months payslips?
Me: I am claiming only for 10 months and it is not necessary to claim for the whole period.
I explained her in detail saying, as per guidance notes, as long as I meet the required earnings points I am eligible for extension....

Me: These 10 months payslips are from my current employer and now I dont have proper proof to show the earnings from my previous employer.

But I just kept quit.
she asking to another guy (staff), I couldn't listen properly what she was asking, and then she replied to that guy 'Yes he is economically active'

Then after sometime she again called someone over phone (probably senior officer).
She came back and took all my bank statements again and pinned along with my payslips and P60.

After two hours long,
Staff: It is all done by me. I have done all the stuff what I could do. Now I need to send it to my supervisor and she will
verify my work and if everything goes fine you will get your visa extended till May 2012. This might take around 1 hour to 1.30 hours.
Sit here somewhere near where I could see you. Once I get the decision I will call you. By that time if you want you can go out and come.

Me: Ok Thank you. May I know what has been done till now? Did you just register my case or did you actually consider my case?
Staff:I have done initial verificaiton here it looks ok for me and my supervisor has to decide. So your case is still under consideraiton.
They are so polite to answer all my questions and through out the day, all the staff are happy to assist.
I came back at around 12:30 PM. And sat on the becnch oppoiste to her counter and saw and noded her head.
She was looking into another tier 1 case. This time she is better in dealing. As I could see she was not asking that many silly questions.

Staff: I havn't heard anything about your case. You may have to wait for some more time.

Around 01:15 PM she completed with current case and went to his superrior to handover that case and came back.
She Called me

She went for lunch and came back around 02:00 PM and started dealing with other cases

03:00 PM When she was not dealing with anyone, I went and asked her about my case whether did she get any info on that.
She came back
Staff: They were considering your case and were half way thru then they took a break for lunch, and now they started looking into your case.

Me: Oh is it! Are they finding difficult? Do they need more extra info on my case?
Staff: No no it is nothing to do with you. There are only four case workers working on all tier 1,2,3 and 4 applications

Around 04:50 PM She got my papers. I could see them. I was bit tensed. Waited for 5 minutes. she was entering all the

Staff: Ya all the paper work is done. Dont worry it is all done. I have some details to enter into my system for the records.

After a while around 10 mins she called me and started saying "I am really sorry to tell you...." before finishing her words my thougts went somewhere, she

Staff: Ya your visa is approved and we need to stamp your visa and it might take around an hour.
I read it, Whow I am so happy to read "YOUR APPLICATION IS APPROVED!!!!!!!:)))))))"

I waited for around 45 Mins and around 06:00 PM I was called to counter and they handed over my passport

Help desk Staff: Your stay in United kingdom has been extended until 2012 and please check your name and other details on the visa.
-> This might not be same with all. As the person who dealt my case was new, it took so long time.
Two of my friends have booked appointment in liverpool and one got at visa at 02:00 PM and the other 03:30 PM appointments are 09:00AM and 10:00 AM respectively.
-> My friend's leave expires in Feb 2010 but he got 3 years extension from Feb 2010 and not from the current date.
Call on 08706067766
Though i explained them my masters, bachelors degree and english language letter are not nessary, as I have proved all of them in the initial hsmp, still they asked me. So I gave it.
Cheers,
Niruv

niruv

Post by niruv » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:47 pm

It is finally extension. But as there is no extension to HSMP so you need to switch to tier 1. When she asked am i switching from student to tier 1, I said to her in her words that I am switching, from hsmp to teir 1.

But it is always extension from hsmp to tier1.

We don't need masters degree.

bonvivz

Thanks !

Post by bonvivz » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:52 pm

niruv wrote:It is finally extension. But as there is no extension to HSMP so you need to switch to tier 1. When she asked am i switching from student to tier 1, I said to her in her words that I am switching, from hsmp to teir 1.

Thanks very much mate!.. thats clears the confusion..

Cheers for that.

marrik

Post by marrik » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:29 pm

hi all,
Is it mandatory to have all the dependants with you during time of extension when you are appearing in person? Reason being, I will be extending my visa along with my wife and our 1 month old baby and am not sure if we can bring baby there and wait for a long time.

Kindly share your experiences for an in person application.

Thanks in advance

niruv

Post by niruv » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:57 pm

You dont need to take your dependents with you.

maheshnair
BANNED

Post by maheshnair » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:56 pm

niruv wrote:It is finally extension. But as there is no extension to HSMP so you need to switch to tier 1. When she asked am i switching from student to tier 1, I said to her in her words that I am switching, from hsmp to teir 1.

Hi Niruv ,

congrats ..............

Even my friend got stamped in liverpool yesterday .
He was also saying that the staffs were more tensed and the lady dealing with my friends case was totally confused and she was tensed .....
She was asking him doubts ....

So thumb rule is go after becoming an expert ....better go with guidance pdf print out so that if they ask some blunder , you can show the pdf ....

she asked my friend where is latest bank statements , then he showed the printout showing that 1 month old bank statements is enough and dont need very very latest for maintainence funds ...

My friend was saying , she just was totally lost ......and she just said Ok fine ok fine for what ever y friend said ...

Looks like staff are not trained enough ....

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:12 pm

niruv wrote:Hi Guys/gals,

More details:

based.

a) Purpose of visit?

they are dealing with.

system.

Looked at each other.

But I just kept quit.

After two hours long,

She Called me

She came back

Call on 08706067766
-> If your applying for your dependents, you don't need to take dependents with you.
-> £50.00 more for each dependent apart from £1020.00 for the main applicant

Cheers,
Niruv
congrats buddy and thanks for that nice description.