ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tougher criteria for work permits & green cards announce

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Southern_Sky

Tougher criteria for work permits & green cards announce

Post by Southern_Sky » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:28 am

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... king33.htm

In addition, the length of time that employers have to advertise jobs will be increased and tougher conditions for the renewal of permits - including higher fees - will also apply.

A further change will see spouses and dependants of future work permit holders having to apply for permits in their own right.

According to figures from the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment, some 30,000 people, or 1.5 per cent of the labour force, hold employment permits.

The Green Card list, which covers professions offering salaries of between €30,000 and €59,999 per annum has also been revised.

From June 1st, a number of roles in the healthcare, financial services and marketing sector will also be ineligible for work permits.

ferrellk
Newly Registered

Re: Tougher criteria for work permits & green cards anno

Post by ferrellk » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:01 pm

I wonder what the "tougher conditions for renewal" means exactly....

tom4

Post by tom4 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:10 pm

Southern_Sky wrote:A further change will see spouses and dependants of future work permit holders having to apply for permits in their own right.
A giant leap backwards.
Tánaiste and Minister for Enterprise, Trade & Employment Mary Coughlan wrote:... while Ireland had benefited greatly from immigration in the past decade and continues to do so now, the revised legislation was needed to reflect the changing realities of the Irish labour market.
Translation: we no longer need you so f*#k off.

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:26 pm

http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits ... ements.htm

full detail here...

and for green card :

http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits ... encard.htm

It doesnt impact existing work permit holders but any new applications will be veted through tough criteria. The way i read it.. might be wrong..

Regards
Tiggs

Southern_Sky

Post by Southern_Sky » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:54 pm

Hmmm....

Q. I am work permit holder that has been placed on short-time working. Am I eligible to have my permit renewed even though I am working fewer hours?

A. The Department will consider applications for the renewal of work permits received in respect of employees placed on short-time working during the currency of their work permit. Applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Q. What happens if I am made redundant while I am a work permit holder?

A. You should notify the Employment Permits Section of the Department when you are informed of your redundancy. If your permission to remain in Ireland allows, you will have up to three months from the date of your redundancy to seek alternative employment. A labour market needs test will be required in respect of any subsequent work permit application you make. If the job from which you were made redundant was among the list of ineligible job categories, you will be entitled to apply for a new work permit for a position from that ineligible list, if you so wish.

Q. What happens if I cannot get another job within three months of being made redundant?

A. You will be expected to leave the country on the expiry of your permission to stay. However, if, having left the country, you are later successful in getting another job offer in Ireland, you are free to apply for an employment permit according to the criteria set out above.

ferrellk
Newly Registered

Post by ferrellk » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:05 pm

tiggs wrote:http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits ... ements.htm

full detail here...

and for green card :

http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits ... encard.htm

It doesnt impact existing work permit holders but any new applications will be veted through tough criteria. The way i read it.. might be wrong..

Regards
Tiggs

Thanks for posting that. From the main page on DETE it says:

"Tougher conditions for the renewal of permits – higher fees and requirement for labour market needs test on renewal"

I thought that existing permit holders would be required to have to go through the advertising and labour needs test again. It seems it is only those people who apply after June 1, 2009 that will.

k8
Newly Registered

Post by k8 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:31 pm

Does anyone know if these new tougher restrictions will also apply to work holiday visas? Or where I can go to find out?

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:08 pm

Tough call K8, at the moment things annouced today are about work permits and green card schemes only. Best you can check with authorities (if you are worried) who issue work holiday Visa. I believe ireland has understanding with some countries..to allow their citizens working visa..same vice versa..But do check if you want to clear ur doubt. So far today's annoucement is in relation to future New workpermit applications and green card applications.

Regards
Tiggs

microlab

Post by microlab » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:44 am

Two Aerials meet on a roof - fall in love - get married.
The ceremony was rubbish but the reception was brilliant.

linus65
Newly Registered

Post by linus65 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:58 pm

[quote="Southern_Sky"]http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... king33.htm

A further change will see spouses and dependants of future work permit holders having to apply for permits in their own right.

Does this mean a spouse of an EU national cannot to take on employment without a permit? Is it not part of the Directive 2004/38/EC that a spouse has the right to reside and work with his/her EU spouse in an EU member state??

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:49 pm

linus65 wrote:Does this mean a spouse of an EU national cannot to take on employment without a permit?
No, it does not mean that.
linus65 wrote:Is it not part of the Directive 2004/38/EC that a spouse has the right to reside and work with his/her EU spouse in an EU member state??
Yes, it is.