ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Crack down on 'overstayers' with new control system

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Southern_Sky

Crack down on 'overstayers' with new control system

Post by Southern_Sky » Mon May 04, 2009 11:58 am

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 27871.html

'Mr Ahern has already warned that a growing problem is the increasing phenomenon of so-called "overstayers" -- those granted student, holiday and even limited work visas who intend to go underground and become permanent residents.'

'The number of entitlement cards issued to nationals of some countries far exceeds the number of work permits granted for official arrivals from those same states.'

knapps
Member of Standing

Post by knapps » Mon May 04, 2009 7:08 pm

this is good the whole ireland is doing shame marriages they must stop it and start raiding houses of recently students got married....Estonian girls are coming for money in ireland....total bogus system to check the marriages here.

americanboy
Newly Registered

Post by americanboy » Mon May 11, 2009 1:02 pm

knapps wrote:this is good the whole ireland is doing shame marriages they must stop it and start raiding houses of recently students got married....Estonian girls are coming for money in ireland....total bogus system to check the marriages here.
agree with you. am a legal immigrant here, and it would be fair if legal people get good treatment and ilegal the other appropriate treatment.
this shd have been done 10 years before. better never than late

americanboy
Newly Registered

Post by americanboy » Mon May 11, 2009 1:05 pm

knapps wrote:this is good the whole ireland is doing shame marriages they must stop it and start raiding houses of recently students got married....Estonian girls are coming for money in ireland....total bogus system to check the marriages here.
forgot to mention this to all the legal immigrants
please support this and make your statement clear to one and all.

victor8600

Post by victor8600 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:58 pm

americanboy wrote:...please support this and make your statement clear to one and all.
Nope, sorry. I will not support this or anything else designed to "crack down" or "control" any immigrants, be that legal or illegal. Because most probably it will make the life of legal immigrants harder by introducing the need for more documents/proof.

Secondly, I object to this "crackdown" because a lot of legal immigrants, including me, can very easily become "illegal". Suppose, I have lost my job and my GNIB registration is expired. From that moment I would be considered an illegal immigrant, same as say, a person who came on a student visa and worked here illegally. By law, I have to pack my bags and leave the country immediately. The fact that I worked here for over 6 years legally, paying taxes, have a mortgage etc., does not mean a thing from the view of current immigration laws. so, thank you very much, I would rather prefer no crackdowns.
All your base are belong to us

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Mon May 11, 2009 2:39 pm

The problem is, you should be careful of what authority you give to any justice minister who is like
this and this

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Fri May 29, 2009 11:59 am

victor8600 wrote:
americanboy wrote:...please support this and make your statement clear to one and all.
Nope, sorry. I will not support this or anything else designed to "crack down" or "control" any immigrants, be that legal or illegal. Because most probably it will make the life of legal immigrants harder by introducing the need for more documents/proof.

Secondly, I object to this "crackdown" because a lot of legal immigrants, including me, can very easily become "illegal". Suppose, I have lost my job and my GNIB registration is expired. From that moment I would be considered an illegal immigrant, same as say, a person who came on a student visa and worked here illegally. By law, I have to pack my bags and leave the country immediately. The fact that I worked here for over 6 years legally, paying taxes, have a mortgage etc., does not mean a thing from the view of current immigration laws. so, thank you very much, I would rather prefer no crackdowns.
+1

thestrangepilgrim
Newly Registered

Post by thestrangepilgrim » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:55 am

+1 Again

If my personal case was looked at at the moment I've no doubt I'd be under investigation for breaking 'the rules'. If i had faith that the people in charge would assess each individual case in a fair, unbiased way than maybe I would be for a bit of immigration handbook-revising :). Unfortunately what I've seen and experiences in the immigration offices makes me believe otherwise!

Monifé

:)

Post by Monifé » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:43 pm

victor8600 wrote:

Well said, I am an Irish citizen, but my Fiance is a non-national. I second your objection to the crackdown and control on immigrants. Immigrants are treated like SH*T in this country and it sickens me and makes me ashamed to be Irish. For all they contributed to this country in the boom, and now the DOJ are mimicking all the dearly beloved paddys out there, by making the immigration requirements ridiculously hard, they are basically saying, we used you, gained a hell of a lot, but now you can f**k off to where you came from, its a disgrace!!!!

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:16 pm

victor8600 wrote:

If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.

As for the example you mentioned, aren't you supposed to keep this possibility in mind when you travel to Ireland or some other country for that matter ?

You can live in a foreign country for several years, paying the taxes and all that but if the law says you can be thrown out under some conditions, then I suppose you should be accepting the law.

You are allowed to live in Ireland on the condition that you have work and if the condition is not met, you shouldn't be in Ireland. You must have been aware of this when you were leaving your home country for Ireland.

Sorry if I took your example wrong but this is my opinion and I don't think I am wrong.
“Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.â€

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:20 pm

That is a dearly beloved and disgusting comment. From where do you know all the marriages are sham ???

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:44 pm

Um, Estonia is part of the EU. "Estonian girls" can go to Ireland and live there and make money LEGALLY, and they can certainly marry who they want. There is no immigration benefit so this comment is unneccessary and ignorant.
I tell it like it is.

knapps
Member of Standing

Post by knapps » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:54 pm

the problem is there is a chain working with estonian and latvian girls bringing them here and paying emm couple of thousand euro and hooking em up with non irish... this is retard!! and this has to stop!!! i am a non irish but i certainly wont favor all this crap.

This is a shame!! Girls are not supposed to be treated like that!!

this is my opinion!

IrishTom
BANNED

Re: :)

Post by IrishTom » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:13 pm

jennybean wrote: Well said, I am an Irish citizen, but my Fiance is a non-national. I second your objection to the crackdown and control on immigrants. Immigrants are treated like SH*T in this country and it sickens me and makes me ashamed to be Irish. For all they contributed to this country in the boom, and now the DOJ are mimicking all the dearly beloved paddys out there, by making the immigration requirements ridiculously hard, they are basically saying, we used you, gained a hell of a lot, but now you can f**k off to where you came from, its a disgrace!!!!
If Ireland is so dearly beloved, why are there circa 100,000 foreigners in receipt of social welfare in this "dearly beloved" country? :lol:

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:15 pm

ElenaW wrote:
Um, Estonia is part of the EU. "Estonian girls" can go to Ireland and live there and make money LEGALLY, and they can certainly marry who they want. There is no immigration benefit so this comment is unneccessary and ignorant.
30% of all applications for leave to remain due to marriage to EU citizens are deemed to be a sham.

Deport them all.

Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:13 am

victor8600 wrote:

Neither do I will support this. Not in million years.
It is far to easy for GNIB to make someone illegal from legal, give my own example, couple years ago they sent work permit to our old office and it was not possible to contact them and they won't issue new one. They only produce letter that work permit have been granted.

When I was in GNIB, they ask for original one and told me I was illegally living here.

No, I will never support any crack down or whatever they call it.

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:14 am

IrishTom wrote:
jennybean wrote: Well said, I am an Irish citizen, but my Fiance is a non-national. I second your objection to the crackdown and control on immigrants. Immigrants are treated like SH*T in this country and it sickens me and makes me ashamed to be Irish. For all they contributed to this country in the boom, and now the DOJ are mimicking all the dearly beloved paddys out there, by making the immigration requirements ridiculously hard, they are basically saying, we used you, gained a hell of a lot, but now you can f**k off to where you came from, its a disgrace!!!!
If Ireland is so dearly beloved, why are there circa 100,000 foreigners in receipt of social welfare in this "dearly beloved" country? :lol:
where did you get those statistics from Irish Tom? And just because they are on the dole, doesn't make Ireland any less dearly beloved, it just means that the foreign nationals that came here, had a job and were obviously let go due to the recession like many of the Irish. Ireland, in my experience, is one of the most dearly beloved countries in the EU.

I have read some of your other posts, you b**ch about "foreigners" being on the dole, what about all the paddys on the dole since 2005, in the height of the boom they were on the dole, they were obviously well able to get a job, but just weren't bothered, and then you give the immigrants stick for being hard working but being let go due to reasons out of their hands.

And what about all the paddys in England still receiving dole. You should check your "statistics" and look at your/our own people before making negative comments!

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:23 am

knapps wrote:the problem is there is a chain working with estonian and latvian girls bringing them here and paying emm couple of thousand euro and hooking em up with non irish... this is retard!! and this has to stop!!! i am a non irish but i certainly wont favor all this crap.

This is a shame!! Girls are not supposed to be treated like that!!

this is my opinion!
What if I say your marriage with your Czech wife was also set by this chain that you are calling retard and crap ?? Afteral, you also got your Irish residency just because of your marriage with an EU citizen. Nothing out of your own.

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:09 am

jennybean wrote:
where did you get those statistics from Irish Tom? And just because they are on the dole, doesn't make Ireland any less dearly beloved, it just means that the foreign nationals that came here, had a job and were obviously let go due to the recession like many of the Irish. Ireland, in my experience, is one of the most dearly beloved countries in the EU.

I got the figure from the CSO. You are talking through your hoop. Once an "asylum seeker" is given leave to remain, they are entitled to go on the dole for the rest of their natural. Once an EU citizen has worked for two years in an EU country and made one PRSI contribution in the free state, they are entitled to go on the dole for the rest of their natural.

We owe foreigners nada, zilch, feck all.
jennybean wrote:I have read some of your other posts, you b**ch about "foreigners" being on the dole, what about all the paddys on the dole since 2005, in the height of the boom they were on the dole,

I speak for the majority of my people. We are fed up of the foreign invasion.

Circa 100,000 people were on the dole in the height of the boom. Over 20% of them foreigners. During the boom 68% of all Nigerians legally in the state were on the scratch!!!! So much for your portrayal of immigrants as all working(again, check the CSO).
jennybean wrote:they were obviously well able to get a job, but just weren't bothered, and then you give the immigrants stick for being hard working but being let go due to reasons out of their hands.

More generalisations. What about your fiance, why the hell is he seeking asylum in this green and lovely land, a rock off western europe? How did he get here? How many safe countries did he travel through?

Wouldnt be for our liberal welfare benfits, would it?
jennybean wrote:And what about all the paddys in England still receiving dole. You should check your "statistics" and look at your/our own people before making negative comments!
Why would a Paddy go to the UK to leech on the dole when Irelands dole is much higher? Anyway, the Irish are the last of the UKS worries. :lol:

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:14 am

victor8600 wrote:Secondly, I object to this "crackdown" because a lot of legal immigrants, including me, can very easily become "illegal". Suppose, I have lost my job and my GNIB registration is expired. From that moment I would be considered an illegal immigrant, same as say, a person who came on a student visa and worked here illegally. By law, I have to pack my bags and leave the country immediately. The fact that I worked here for over 6 years legally, paying taxes, have a mortgage etc., does not mean a thing from the view of current immigration laws. so, thank you very much, I would rather prefer no crackdowns.
It is up to you to ensure that your GNIB card does not expire and that you keep it up to date. If you are in the country on a Work Permit (i.e. being sponsored by your employer) and you lose your job, then just because you paid taxes in the country for a few years or entered into a mortgage despite not having permanent residence here, doesn't mean that you are any less illegal here if you have no current residence permit.

If you were to go to the UK/Australia/USA it would be the exact same situation. These visas are intended to be a stopgap solution and to allow employers to fill posts that cannot be otherwise filled by Irish or EU citizens.

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:54 pm

IrishTom wrote:
We owe foreigners nada, zilch, feck all.

I speak for the majority of my people. We are fed up of the foreign invasion.
U say we owe them nothing, but i am sure u would b**ch about it if you were in a foreign country and they treated you the way "foreigners" are treated here! And you can't say you speak for the majority of people, do u know and talk to all 4 million+ Irish, i don't think so.
IrishTom wrote:More generalisations. What about your fiance, why the hell is he seeking asylum in this green and lovely land, a rock off western europe? How did he get here? How many safe countries did he travel through?

Wouldnt be for our liberal welfare benfits, would it?:
No he is not seeking asylum just to claim the dole, he is a hard worker and wants to work and have a better life.

Why are you so against people of different nationalites wanting to come to a country to better their life? You, and a lot of other "immigrant haters", seem to forget the sheer volume of Irish who emmigrated 50 years ago to better their lives and who are even emmigrating this very day and other countries, for example Australia, let them in no bother.
IrishTom wrote:
jennybean wrote:And what about all the paddys in England still receiving dole. You should check your "statistics" and look at your/our own people before making negative comments!
Why would a Paddy go to the UK to leech on the dole when Irelands dole is much higher? Anyway, the Irish are the last of the UKS worries. :lol:
I didnt say the paddys were leeching off the UK dole, I said they are living over there and still claiming the Irish dole!

TRV

Post by TRV » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:49 pm

Go on Irish Tom...waiting for your response... Go Tommy, Go Tommy, Go Tommy....

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:10 pm

jennybean wrote: U say we owe them nothing, but i am sure u would b**ch about it if you were in a foreign country and they treated you the way "foreigners" are treated here! And you can't say you speak for the majority of people, do u know and talk to all 4 million+ Irish, i don't think so.
Thats your problem right there, opposing welfare tourism, importation of poverty and support for the viability of the citizenship system here doesn't necessarily make one a rabid xenophobe. Some people can only see things in terms of pro- or anti-.

I am certainly anti-uncontrolled immigration. The Immigrant Council of Ireland, Irish Refugee Council, Migrant Rights Centre Ireland, National Consultative Committee on beloved and Interculturalism and Residents Against beloved are definitely supportive of a completely liberal, no-barriers form of immigration policy.

Now, if Ireland is such an "evil big bad dearly beloved island" why has an unprecedented number of foreigners flocked to our shores? Why are circa 100,000 foreigners in receipt of handouts from said "big bad evil dearly beloved island"?

You are talking nonsense.

Now lets see the Irish peoples view of mass immigration.

THE VAST majority (72 per cent) of people want to see a reduction in the number of non-irish immigrants living here, according to an Irish Times Behaviour Attitudes opinion.

Overall, a total of 43 per cent say they would like to see some, but not all, immigrants leave the state, while 29 per cent would like to see most immigrants leave. In contrast, just over a quarter (26 per cent) would like to see ther number of immigrants remain as it is.

http://pavee.ie/mediamonitor/?p=2574

or

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 94640.html

or even....

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fro ... 78623.html

jennybean wrote:No he is not seeking asylum just to claim the dole, he is a hard worker and wants to work and have a better life.
So hes fleeing his own country due to lack of work? Then hes no more an asylum seeker than I am. Hes an economic migrants using the asylum route to get into this country. There are billions of people who are hard workers and want a better life. Should Ireland let them all in? Newsflash: aint our problem!

jennybean wrote:Why are you so against people of different nationalites wanting to come to a country to better their life? You, and a lot of other "immigrant haters", seem to forget the sheer volume of Irish who emmigrated 50 years ago to better their lives and who are even emmigrating this very day and other countries, for example Australia, let them in no bother.
Ok, lets go with Australia. Your fellas an asylum seeker. "Big bad dearly beloved Ireland" houses asylum seekers in hostels and three star hotels. In Australia he would be locked up for in prison like conditions.

CHRISTMAS ISLAND, Australia — Deep in the jungle on this small island lost in the Indian Ocean, Australia’s new $370 million refugee detention center reaches its full power after its lights come on at dusk. Bracketed by rain forest, steep cliffs and the sea, it rises from the enveloping darkness and becomes visible from the island’s only inhabited corner, about 10 miles away.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/world ... sland.html

There is turbulence in the accomodation industry in Limerick, with one hotel going on the market for €8m and another being closed and used as a hostel for assylum seekers.

The Limerick Leader reports a story which has been floating around the internet for a few days that the Sarsfield Bridge Hotel, which includes the Pier One bar, is closing and is to become a hostel for 125 assylum seekers.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limer ... 4221378.jp

Now, if we copied Australias policies instead of our own, your fella would be locked up. You would never have met him. So please, please, please stop spouting nonsense about "dearly beloved Ireland". We treat asylum seekers better than any other nation. A shockingly high figure of approx. 300 million is being spent on asylum seekers each year. This is an unaccountable amount of money. It averages at approx. 20,000 euro per asylum application.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... king63.htm

Now to your silly statement about Oz letting everyone in "easily". Laughable.:lol: Oz is issuing Irish people under 35 with working holiday visas. Firstly, you must have a large amount of cash to support yourself and work in menial jobs like fruit picking, farm hand, etc etc. You can only gain employment if the employer cannot find an Australian citizen first. You are not entitled to any state benefits. If only Ireland adopted a similar approach. Many Irish are getting phuced out too. No court cases, no "migration quangos" screaming beloved. No nonsense. Fair play to the Auzzies. Oh, and once you are deported, you are banned.

At least a dozen Irish nationals have been deported from Australia in the past two weeks in a crackdown on immigration fraud.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... king49.htm

Il leave it with ya.

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:10 pm

TRV wrote:Go on Irish Tom...waiting for your response... Go Tommy, Go Tommy, Go Tommy....
Done, son. Done.

anotherimmigrant

Post by anotherimmigrant » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:57 am

IrishTom wrote: Thats your problem right there, opposing welfare tourism, importation of poverty and support for the viability of the citizenship system here doesn't necessarily make one a rabid xenophobe. Some people can only see things in terms of pro- or anti-.

I am certainly anti-uncontrolled immigration. The Immigrant Council of Ireland, Irish Refugee Council, Migrant Rights Centre Ireland, National Consultative Committee on beloved and Interculturalism and Residents Against beloved are definitely supportive of a completely liberal, no-barriers form of immigration policy.

Now, if Ireland is such an "evil big bad dearly beloved island" why has an unprecedented number of foreigners flocked to our shores? Why are circa 100,000 foreigners in receipt of handouts from said "big bad evil dearly beloved island"?

You are talking nonsense.

Now lets see the Irish peoples view of mass immigration.

THE VAST majority (72 per cent) of people want to see a reduction in the number of non-irish immigrants living here, according to an Irish Times Behaviour Attitudes opinion.

Overall, a total of 43 per cent say they would like to see some, but not all, immigrants leave the state, while 29 per cent would like to see most immigrants leave. In contrast, just over a quarter (26 per cent) would like to see ther number of immigrants remain as it is.

http://pavee.ie/mediamonitor/?p=2574

or

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 94640.html

or even....

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fro ... 78623.html

jennybean wrote:No he is not seeking asylum just to claim the dole, he is a hard worker and wants to work and have a better life.
So hes fleeing his own country due to lack of work? Then hes no more an asylum seeker than I am. Hes an economic migrants using the asylum route to get into this country. There are billions of people who are hard workers and want a better life. Should Ireland let them all in? Newsflash: aint our problem!

Ok, lets go with Australia. Your fellas an asylum seeker. "Big bad dearly beloved Ireland" houses asylum seekers in hostels and three star hotels. In Australia he would be locked up for in prison like conditions.

CHRISTMAS ISLAND, Australia — Deep in the jungle on this small island lost in the Indian Ocean, Australia’s new $370 million refugee detention center reaches its full power after its lights come on at dusk. Bracketed by rain forest, steep cliffs and the sea, it rises from the enveloping darkness and becomes visible from the island’s only inhabited corner, about 10 miles away.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/world ... sland.html

There is turbulence in the accomodation industry in Limerick, with one hotel going on the market for €8m and another being closed and used as a hostel for assylum seekers.

The Limerick Leader reports a story which has been floating around the internet for a few days that the Sarsfield Bridge Hotel, which includes the Pier One bar, is closing and is to become a hostel for 125 assylum seekers.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limer ... 4221378.jp

Now, if we copied Australias policies instead of our own, your fella would be locked up. You would never have met him. So please, please, please stop spouting nonsense about "dearly beloved Ireland". We treat asylum seekers better than any other nation. A shockingly high figure of approx. 300 million is being spent on asylum seekers each year. This is an unaccountable amount of money. It averages at approx. 20,000 euro per asylum application.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... king63.htm

Now to your silly statement about Oz letting everyone in "easily". Laughable.:lol: Oz is issuing Irish people under 35 with working holiday visas. Firstly, you must have a large amount of cash to support yourself and work in menial jobs like fruit picking, farm hand, etc etc. You can only gain employment if the employer cannot find an Australian citizen first. You are not entitled to any state benefits. If only Ireland adopted a similar approach. Many Irish are getting phuced out too. No court cases, no "migration quangos" screaming beloved. No nonsense. Fair play to the Auzzies. Oh, and once you are deported, you are banned.

At least a dozen Irish nationals have been deported from Australia in the past two weeks in a crackdown on immigration fraud.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... king49.htm

Il leave it with ya.
I am taxpayer here, this country feeds my family here with my saving i am feeding my parents in back home. I work hard like any other irish person never unemployed in last 10 yrs because constant upgradation of skills. I have respect and admire this country.

10000 people blah blah blah blah...

1) Welfare will come only if the person contributed to economy legally resident and habitual resident here..

2) On the height of boom they contributed like every one else

3) They paid exhburent rents Irish Land lord community for shoe box and sub standard accomidation.

4) Paid VAT here like any one else. [Probably paid more value for money if you shop English/Irish super makets ]

So where exactly the free loaders? some sensational links from property driven national news papers wont make strong argument.

Your big lecture about Australian Immigration Policy. One word my response What Australia did to its own native people. Abregional community any clue? A total voilation of their human rights and Kevin Rudd openly said sorry after centuries of abuse. It is disgrace and black mark Australian history for ever.

What about "Whites Only" immigration policy until 1970 [ :roll: ]. How many patents from Australian university reasearch compare with Irish universities research? Just having BBQ 365 days and yobbish behviour doesn't Australian dark pask go away from the memories. Bottom line given immature attiude towards its own citizens by Australia it is not surprise it has tougher regime in place.