ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Important things to do upon entering UK

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ashwin_srao
Newly Registered

Important things to do upon entering UK

Post by ashwin_srao » Fri May 08, 2009 10:14 am

Hello All,
I would like to know the different steps to be executed upon entering UK for getting employment. As I know you need to register for NI number first, what would be the other important steps?

Thanks a lot

ChetanOjha

Re: Important things to do upon entering UK

Post by ChetanOjha » Fri May 08, 2009 10:44 am

Find the job as soon as possible and rest everything will be taken care of. NI etc can be taken care by employer itself.

Just find the job and make it your first priority.
ashwin_srao wrote:Hello All,
I would like to know the different steps to be executed upon entering UK for getting employment. As I know you need to register for NI number first, what would be the other important steps?

Thanks a lot

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Fri May 08, 2009 11:13 am

Depending upon where you're coming from, it is critical to register with the local police within 7 days of arrival. That info should be stamped on your visa if it is a requirement.

You can apply for an NHS card, but you must show that you are actively looking for work. This means that you will need emails or letters to say that you have interviews scheduled, etc. If you don't have this, then it can be difficult to get your NHS number.

push

Post by push » Fri May 08, 2009 11:29 pm

UKbound wrote:Depending upon where you're coming from, it is critical to register with the local police within 7 days of arrival. That info should be stamped on your visa if it is a requirement.

You can apply for an NHS card, but you must show that you are actively looking for work. This means that you will need emails or letters to say that you have interviews scheduled, etc. If you don't have this, then it can be difficult to get your NHS number.
Where did you hear that from? You can get registered for NHS irrespective of your employment status/ your search for job.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

push

Post by push » Fri May 08, 2009 11:29 pm

UKbound wrote:Depending upon where you're coming from, it is critical to register with the local police within 7 days of arrival. That info should be stamped on your visa if it is a requirement.

Where did you hear that from? You can get registered for NHS irrespective of your employment status/ your search for job.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sat May 09, 2009 4:03 am

push_hsmp wrote:
UKbound wrote:You can apply for an NHS card, but you must show that you are actively looking for work. This means that you will need emails or letters to say that you have interviews scheduled, etc. If you don't have this, then it can be difficult to get your NHS number.
Guess a National Insurance (NI) card is being refered to, rather than National Health Service (NHS).

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Sat May 09, 2009 7:17 am

Oops, yes I meant NI card. Thanks.

maheshnair
BANNED

Re: Important things to do upon entering UK

Post by maheshnair » Sat May 09, 2009 9:41 am

ashwin_srao wrote:Hello All,

Thanks a lot

Buddy ,

Forget NHS , NI etc as they are last priorities ...

First is JOB ....

once you get job you can do the rest slowly ...It is not mandatory to have NHS / Ni as soon as u come ...

Also i think (Not sure) for the first finanacial year NI need not be paid ..You could start paying NI from Year 2 .
People who always win today and tommorow were the people who always lost yesterday ...