ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registering with the NHS.

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

pyke

Registering with the NHS.

Post by pyke » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:39 pm

I was wondering, how does one go about doing that? Does it take a long time to process? With the flu, one can never be too careful!

push

Re: Registering with the NHS.

Post by push » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:22 pm

pyke wrote:I was wondering, how does one go about doing that? Does it take a long time to process? With the flu, one can never be too careful!
Contact your nearest surgery which is accepting new patients. They will ask you to come on a particular date and ask for address proof. Simple questionnaire to fill/BP measurement and thats it!!
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:37 pm

pyke wrote:I was wondering, how does one go about doing that? Does it take a long time to process? With the flu, one can never be too careful!
Its a straight forward process. Won't take more than one appointment. Call your nearest surgery beforehand for appointment. If they are not accepting new patients at the moment, they will be able to guide further.

pyke

Post by pyke » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:32 pm

Thanks for your replies.

push_hsmp wrote:They will ask you to come on a particular date and ask for address proof.

What sort of address proof will be required? A bill? I wouldn't have that until I've been there for at least a month.

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:46 pm

Your house agreement could do. But I don't think it is that hard and fast.
pyke wrote:Thanks for your replies.

push_hsmp wrote:They will ask you to come on a particular date and ask for address proof.

What sort of address proof will be required? A bill? I wouldn't have that until I've been there for at least a month.

push

Post by push » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:03 pm

Address proof is needed because a number of Surgeries do not accept patients outside their catchment area. Your tenancy agreement will normally do.

Even otherwise, you are fully entitled to receive treatment. In case you face any problem getting registered, you should contact your PCT (Primary Care Trust) and they will do the needful. See the following:
Primary care and emergency services

Anyone living in the UK lawfully, and on a settled basis, is also entitled to free primary health care. When you become a resident in the UK, you should register with a GP surgery. GP surgeries are listed in the phone book, on the NHS choices website (see 'further information') or at the public library. You can phone or visit a GP surgery to ask if you can be accepted as a NHS patient.
The GP surgery may choose to accept or decline your application. They cannot decline you on the grounds of your race, gender, social class, age, religion, sexual orientation, appearance, disability, or medical condition.
However, there are some instances in which a GP practice could decline you - for example, if live outside of the GP's surgery area. If you have any difficulties registering with a GP surgery, contact your local Primary Care Trust (PCT).
If you require emergency treatment at a GP surgery, accident & emergency department, or walk-in centre this will be given free of charge.
When you are first registered with the NHS, you will be assigned an NHS number and given an NHS medical card. The NHS number is used to keep your medical records updated and to trace patients when they access different parts of the NHS.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

pyke

Post by pyke » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:32 pm

Great, thanks for your help!