ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How is the Job Market in UK now ???

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Humana

Post by Humana » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:06 pm

Can anybody please update???

Thanks for your time in advance.

Sten

Re: How is the Job Market in UK now ???

Post by Sten » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:23 pm

People are working for free ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8102862.stm
Good luck !

Final
Newly Registered

Post by Final » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:33 pm

Google UK and Jobs

NEARLY 400 people are chasing EVERY vacancy in some jobs, shock new figures reveal.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... ocket.html

Humana wrote:How is the Job Market in UK now ???

push

Post by push » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:20 pm

You have got perfect timing. Govt came out with unemployment figures today. The headlines in evening news papers read like - joblessness highest in 12 years; one job is lost every second....

There have been talks of Greenshoots but one cant be sure of a recovery until some encouraging news on employment comes.... not likely till Dec atleast
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:25 pm

Almost same situation all over the world, you just try your best whereever you are and hope for the best!! Assuming you are a "Highly Skilled Person", you should be in top 10 out of 400 applicants.
Last edited by mvent00 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dahokolomoki
- thin ice -

Post by dahokolomoki » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:51 pm

if you are good enough at what you do, and have a skill in demand, you will find a job.

I was just served my redundacy notice a week ago. I have since applied for loads of jobs, and have several interviews scheduled for next week already.

By the way the jobs I am applying for are in the financial industry, one of the hardest hit, and from my experience there were loads of job listings (hundreds?) available, so its not a complete desert out there.

Of course there will probably be lots of people chasing for the same job. But if you are good, and have the experience, then I can't see why it is hard to find a job.

As always, you also have to be flexible about your expectations. You must apply for jobs where you are better than other candidates applying, otherwise you won't get it. It is no point trying to chase a dream job when there are many others with better CVs. Better to chase a realistic job (where you definitely meet and surpass the minimum requirements) that pays less but it means you don't have to live on the street.
[Edit: Advertising removed by Moderator]

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:02 pm

Yes, it is one of the important key points. Infact, all of your post is the summary of what one should do while pursuing a job.
dahokolomoki wrote: I have since applied for loads of jobs, and have several interviews scheduled for next week already.

manishmittal
BANNED

Post by manishmittal » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:35 pm

Its bad don't come here.

push

Post by push » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:45 pm

dahokolomoki wrote:if you are good enough at what you do, and have a skill in demand, you will find a job.

I was just served my redundacy notice a week ago. I have since applied for loads of jobs, and have several interviews scheduled for next week already.

By the way the jobs I am applying for are in the financial industry, one of the hardest hit, and from my experience there were loads of job listings (hundreds?) available, so its not a complete desert out there.

Of course there will probably be lots of people chasing for the same job. But if you are good, and have the experience, then I can't see why it is hard to find a job.

As always, you also have to be flexible about your expectations. You must apply for jobs where you are better than other candidates applying, otherwise you won't get it. It is no point trying to chase a dream job when there are many others with better CVs. Better to chase a realistic job (where you definitely meet and surpass the minimum requirements) that pays less but it means you don't have to live on the street.
I guess the question is not about one being good or bad. The query basically is about overall job situation in UK which is really terrible at the moment. Good and bad is a relative thing and as far as job market is concerned there is huge imbalance between demand and supply which has lead to substantial job losses. Top quality and highly efficient workers in a number of sectors have lost jobs - not because they were not good but because the market they were catering to dried up/ project pipelines disappeared and people decided to hold their money back - a factor which is way beyond the personal capabilities of an individual. Merit plays its role but when there are negative macroeconomic events occur no one can claim to be immune.
regards,
push

AkashS
Member of Standing

Post by AkashS » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:40 pm

While I am agree that job market is not so good but that all depends on your field also. For example, I am into Information Security and I think this is the field where job market is still very good. In fact I am receiving emails about the jobs (contract and Permanent both) while I am in India.

last time I could not use my HSMP so keen to make it this time and planning to go there by August. I hope market will improve further by the end of the year and many jobs will be available at that time

So it depends on the demand of your skill rather than overall job market.

- Akash

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:29 pm

Receiving job related emails is different than getting job. Many consultants still post requirements on websites and through emails to get candidate details and if possible some leads e.g. manager name, company etc.
AkashS wrote:While I am agree that job market is not so good but that all depends on your field also. For example, I am into Information Security and I think this is the field where job market is still very good. In fact I am receiving emails about the jobs (contract and Permanent both) while I am in India.

last time I could not use my HSMP so keen to make it this time and planning to go there by August. I hope market will improve further by the end of the year and many jobs will be available at that time

- Akash

manishmittal
BANNED

Post by manishmittal » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:26 pm

AkashS wrote:While I am agree that job market is not so good but that all depends on your field also. For example, I am into Information Security and I think this is the field where job market is still very good. In fact I am receiving emails about the jobs (contract and Permanent both) while I am in India.

- Akash
How does it feel in dreamland?

AkashS
Member of Standing

Post by AkashS » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:50 am

manishmittal wrote:

- Akash
Well, to be frank, there are plenty of jobs available at least for Information Security professional and Ethical Hacker. I am not sure about other people.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:51 am

AkashS wrote:
manishmittal wrote:

- Akash
Well, to be frank, there are plenty of jobs available at least for Information Security professional and Ethical Hacker. I am not sure about other people.
Plenty of jobs are being advertised, you only have to look on sites like Monster to see that. As was said earlier, a lot of them are just to get hold of CVs and general advertising. The job market is awful at the moment and if you feel that getting emails regarding jobs means that any particular field is good then you are rather wrong unfortunately.

manishmittal
BANNED

Post by manishmittal » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:32 am

manishmittal wrote:

- Akash

HA HA HA. How does it feel to be in dreamland completely cutoff from reality?

manishmittal
BANNED

Post by manishmittal » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:41 am

meats wrote:
AkashS wrote:
manishmittal wrote:

- Akash
Plenty of jobs are being advertised, you only have to look on sites like Monster to see that. As was said earlier, a lot of them are just to get hold of CVs and general advertising. The job market is awful at the moment and if you feel that getting emails regarding jobs means that any particular field is good then you are rather wrong unfortunately.
Why dont just apply for any of those. You will realise the reality yourself, If you are trying to console yourself that some how your profession is the only one in demand than get over it. When industry goes down, first thing hit is service sector. As far jog emails are concerned, I still get emails from monster / naukri.com about jobs in US/India/Middle East though I left US 4 years back and India some 8 years back. They dont even bother to check whether I have updated my CV for long time or not.

In India IT people think they are running the world and live in dremaland same is with you. Once you come here, you will realise IT sector is the hardest hit.

Stop living in fools paradise. Stick where you are.

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:06 pm

It does not matter that where are you now.

If you are in UK or in any other country of the world, the methods to secure a job and the current economic crisis, remain the same.

You have to apply for several hundred positions every month and not only to the field which matches to your speciality but also to the others which are more or less you can do and might have a lower output in terms of income.

rsathish

Post by rsathish » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:12 am

This is quite debatable and unless we bring in hard facts, we will only going around the bush.

Forget about consultant quering either by email or phone & also jobs listed on jobs portals. These are the means and ways agencies build up their CV database. Unless you secure a job, all these are second to waste, from a job-seeker point of view.

Also, forget the news articles in Sun or BBC - the journalist is trying to save his own job there, by publishing juicy news & numbers, which are quite generic.

The devil is in the detail. Bring in the numbers, like how long since you were made redundant or since searching a job, & nature of the industry you are in, how you got this role (HR consultant or head-hunted or networking). Then, viewers can draw their own fair opinion.

Here is mine,
Industry: Investment Banking
Nature of job: Middle Office
Exp: 4yrs
Type: Permanent
Security?: Possiblity of job made redundant by another 2 or 3 months.
Similar jobs in the market?: Just one bank recruiting for a similar profile.
No of vacancies: 2 to 4
How are they souring candidates? cityjobs.com, efinancialcareers.com, Their own career site, plus couple of consultants.

Hope this helps.

push

Post by push » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:23 pm

Talk to ppl in your sector and you will get a fair idea of what the situations is. Macro trends are negative for almost all the sectors. To say so called "highly skilled" should not worry and the best will get picked up so one should not worry is akin to staying detached from the reality.

Everyone is affected and there is no dearth of skilled ppl on the street. New enterants to UK are pitted against those who have a distinct advantage in terms of UK experience.
regards,
push

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:20 pm

As push said, everyone is affected whether they are highly skilled or not. Some industries might not have been as badly hit as others but all of them have been hit and the job market in the UK right now is pretty bad.

dahokolomoki
- thin ice -

Post by dahokolomoki » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:28 pm

I agree that the job market currently is probably the toughest in a very long time, and that even very skilled people are losing their jobs.

There are still plenty of job vacancies out there, but then the number of applicants for each job is probably double or triple what it used to be before.

But the job market is essentially a rat race. Employers know that there's more supply than demand, so that is why they advertise the jobs, get lots of applications, and then choose the best.
[Edit: Advertising removed by Moderator]

push

Post by push » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:20 am

See this report from bloomberg:[quote]Britain’s Got No Talent: Half of U.K. Expats Threaten to Exit

June 24 (Bloomberg) -- Almost half of U.K.-based foreign professionals are considering leaving as they endure rising living expenses and the recession, more than in any other country, a survey by HSBC Holdings Plc showed.
Forty-four percent of expatriates in Britain are contemplating moving, suggesting the U.K. doesn’t live up to the name of the “Britain’s Got Talentâ€
regards,
push

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:02 am

dahokolomoki wrote:But the job market is essentially a rat race. Employers know that there's more supply than demand, so that is why they advertise the jobs, get lots of applications, and then choose the best.
And Cheapest...