ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is Switzerland part of EU?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Is Switzerland part of EU?

Post by gainvidya » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:41 am

I travelled to Switzerland on Indian passport having a Work Permit in 2005. Now it seems we need a schengan visa but still not considered as part of EU?

Also are UK citizens allowed to work there without any restriction?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Is Switzerland part of EU?

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:55 am

gainvidya wrote:I travelled to Switzerland on Indian passport having a Work Permit in 2005. Now it seems we need a schengan visa but still not considered as part of EU?

Part of EEA I think - kind of the same but not the same! Like Norway....

Schengen visa IS required now - before the Swiss kept their own rules now they've signed up to Schengen.

UK Citz can work their - I get enough jobs possibles from Jobserve anyway! Plus half the staff at my gf's workplace are Swiss - must be reciprocal.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Sten

Post by Sten » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:19 pm

EU membership is irrelevant in this context.

Yes they fully implemented Schengen agreement in Dec 2008, so now FLR/ILR individuals who need visa to e.g. France also need a visa to Switzerland.

There was/is a special agreement between Switzerland and other EU countries implementing the freedom of movement agreement, so yes UK nationals can work there.
Good luck !

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:39 pm

Wanderer wrote:
gainvidya wrote:I travelled to Switzerland on Indian passport having a Work Permit in 2005. Now it seems we need a schengan visa but still not considered as part of EU?

No they are not EEA. The have a separate agreement with the EU regarding free movement. See the comments from flyboy in http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... c&start=40

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:41 pm

86ti wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

No they are not EEA. The have a separate agreement with the EU regarding free movement. See the comments from flyboy in http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... c&start=40
My brain hurts....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

londonlad
Newly Registered

Post by londonlad » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:10 pm

So, Indian passport holders with UK visa can no longer go to Swizterland without visa?

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:45 pm

londonlad wrote:So, Indian passport holders with UK visa can no longer go to Swizterland without visa?
No! Schengen visa required.

bani

Post by bani » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:47 am

londonlad wrote:So, Indian passport holders with UK visa can no longer go to Swizterland without visa?
That is correct. Your UK visa is no longer enough, you need a Schengen.