ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Isle Of Wight

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

UK_BR5

Isle Of Wight

Post by UK_BR5 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:35 am

Dear All,

i am a non-Eu national with EC rights , i am offered a job in the Isle of Wight and i want to know if the Home office considers the Isle a part of the UK - for the purpose of counting absence from the UK as i cannot exceed 6 months outside the country.

if they don't consider it a part of the UK, anyone has experience commuting everyday to the Isle ? like living in UK mainland and takin a ferry everyday to work ? is that practical ?

thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Isle Of Wight

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:37 am

UK_BR5 wrote:Dear All,

i am a non-Eu national with EC rights , i am offered a job in the Isle of Wight and i want to know if the Home office considers the Isle a part of the UK - for the purpose of counting absence from the UK as i cannot exceed 6 months outside the country.

if they don't consider it a part of the UK, anyone has experience commuting everyday to the Isle ? like living in UK mainland and takin a ferry everyday to work ? is that practical ?

thanks
Course it is!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

UK_BR5

Post by UK_BR5 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:42 am

Wanderer wrote:

thanks
Course it is!
thanks wanderer for your fast reply.

what made me doubt it is a paragraph i read on the European Casework Instructions (chapter 6, page 3) that says :

N.B. We sometimes get applications from people who have lived in the Channel Islands
or the Isle of Man prior to coming to the UK. Time spent in the Channel Islands/Isle of
Man does not count towards the 5-year qualifying period.

peejay

Post by peejay » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:37 pm

Hi, IoW is fully a part of UK!! I work there under HSMP and now ILR...no issues at all!!!
UK_BR5 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

thanks
Course it is!
thanks wanderer for your fast reply.

what made me doubt it is a paragraph i read on the European Casework Instructions (chapter 6, page 3) that says :

N.B. We sometimes get applications from people who have lived in the Channel Islands
or the Isle of Man prior to coming to the UK. Time spent in the Channel Islands/Isle of

UK_BR5

Post by UK_BR5 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:08 pm

many thanks for the confirmation peejay :-)

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:11 pm

What is this nonsense?

The Corkheads are always whining that there aren't any jobs!!

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:57 pm

UK_BR5 wrote: N.B. We sometimes get applications from people who have lived in the Channel Islands

A brief look at the map should confirm the distinction between the Isle of Wight and the Isle of Man.

UK_BR5

Post by UK_BR5 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:17 am

JAJ wrote:
UK_BR5 wrote: N.B. We sometimes get applications from people who have lived in the Channel Islands

A brief look at the map should confirm the distinction between the Isle of Wight and the Isle of Man.
yes, i was under the wrong impression that isle of wight was among channel islands.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:43 am

JAJ wrote:
Well, maybe, maybe not. Lots of maps don't indicate (or, if they do, not very clearly) that the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands are not part of the United Kingdom. The Isle of Wight, however, is. The geographical position is not the determining factor, however...

pankaj25
Newly Registered

Post by pankaj25 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:19 am

Though the isle of wight is part of UK but for the tax purposes HMRC does consider it as a foreign territory.i am not thorough with the exact details but i have lived on isle of man and it is a fact.

newperson

Post by newperson » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:50 am

pankaj25 wrote:Though the isle of wight is part of UK but for the tax purposes HMRC does consider it as a foreign territory.
This is absolutely, categorically not true.

The Isle of Wight is as part of England as Devon, the Midlands or London. The Isle of Man and the Channel Islands of Guernsey, Jersey, Alderney, Sark and Herm are however an entirely different kettle of fish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Wight