ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship risk for jobless migrants

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Southern_Sky

Citizenship risk for jobless migrants

Post by Southern_Sky » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:06 pm

...decisions are made “based on all the information availableâ€

Heinrich

Re: Citizenship risk for jobless migrants

Post by Heinrich » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:13 am

[quote="Southern_Sky"]...decisions are made “based on all the information availableâ€

Heinrich

Re: Citizenship risk for jobless migrants

Post by Heinrich » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:17 am

[quote="Southern_Sky"]...decisions are made “based on all the information availableâ€

sideshowsue

Post by sideshowsue » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:36 am

This is main reason why I've become so neurotic that they'll refuse my application for naturalisation, since technically speaking, I'm not supporting myself--it's my spouse who's supporting me. This is even despite the 40-odd grand my spouse pays in tax each year.

The requirements to be naturalised seem like a moving target at the moment, what with the whole 'at the minister's discretion' thing.

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:18 pm

Out of interest, would this impact a person who claimed maternity benefit? Or is there some exclusion for this, as there is for the child benefit? Anyone know?

Heinrich

Post by Heinrich » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:56 pm

esharknz wrote:Out of interest, would this impact a person who claimed maternity benefit? Or is there some exclusion for this, as there is for the child benefit? Anyone know?
From what I can see from previous posts,no Esharknz.Its mainly only people claiming unemployment.

tote
BANNED

Post by tote » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:45 pm

Unemployment should benefits should be made available to irish citizens only, not immigrants who have paid low tax for a short period of time.

immigrants should be working, not living off the irish taxpayer

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:25 pm

esharknz wrote:Out of interest, would this impact a person who claimed maternity benefit? Or is there some exclusion for this, as there is for the child benefit? Anyone know?
People only claim benefit if they meet certain criteria. Once that criteria is met they have right to claim it.

The minister needs to ensure that prospective citizen will not be undue burden to the state.

If you are on benefit and intends to apply for citizenship, i will advise you to put it on hold until 3 years after you have secured an employment and able to support yourself without resorting to public fund.

mickopla30
Newly Registered

Post by mickopla30 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:55 pm

I'm working and Irish and my wife of a year is not working and non EU. Would it be better for her chances of becoming a citizen to not claim social welfare or any benefits from the state until she applies for citizenship in 2011? Any advice would be appreciated. tia

sideshowsue

Post by sideshowsue » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:06 pm

mickopla30 wrote:I'm working and Irish and my wife of a year is not working and non EU. Would it be better for her chances of becoming a citizen to not claim social welfare or any benefits from the state until she applies for citizenship in 2011? Any advice would be appreciated. tia
If she hopes to have the best possible chances of having her application approved, she should avoid claiming for social welfare at all cost. For example:
Self supporting

In general, apart from refugees and stateless persons, applicants for naturalisation must prove they can support themselves and their families while living in Ireland. If you can show that you have not received State support in the 3 years before your application, this will generally meet the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform's requirement that you have been supporting yourself and your dependants and that you will continue to do so.
A few of cases have cropped up on this forum where people have drawn unemployment and still were granted naturalisation, but it seemed like these were cases in which the applicant only drew SW for a very short time (like one or two months) until they found alternative employment.

Bottom line: SW and naturalisation, not a good combination.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:05 am

This must be one of the more ridiculous threads I've read in a long time.

1. Why should your need for assistance determine your eligibility for citizenship? At this stage you have paid your fair share into the system. For example, you can naturalized in the U.S. while claiming benefits.

2. There should be no distinction between natural born citizens and those who acquired it through naturalisation.

For those who are considering a move to Ireland, which is unlikely in this economy, give it a miss. Canada, U.S., Australia, New Zealand offer much better opportunities, and theres no requirement to bend over backwards to become a citizen.

Lost Soul

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:54 am

Unemployment should benefits should be made available to irish citizens only, not immigrants who have paid low tax for a short period of time.

Very helpful comment you idiot!

I paid tax on an income of €80k to €110k for eight years prior to naturalisation. Totalled about €250k in tax and PRSI.

Not entitled to any unemployment benefit?

How much have you paid?

What a twit!

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:47 am

tote wrote:Unemployment should benefits should be made available to irish citizens only, not immigrants who have paid low tax for a short period of time.

Immigrants actually pay higher tax because we have to give the GNIB €150 every year for that stupid fecking card.
...and get this...we ARE IRISH TAXPAYERS!