ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Uk Mobile Number

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sajan.chandran

Uk Mobile Number

Post by sajan.chandran » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:50 am

Hi Friends,

Can we get UK mobile number in India itself if so can we put that number in our resume and apply for UK jobs.
Will it help us in job search.

Thanks,
Sajan Chandran
91-984003119.

djb123
Member of Standing

Re: Uk Mobile Number

Post by djb123 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:08 pm

sajan.chandran wrote:Hi Friends,

Can we get UK mobile number in India itself if so can we put that number in our resume and apply for UK jobs.
Will it help us in job search.

Thanks,
Sajan Chandran
91-984003119.
If you got a UK mobile phone SIM you could use it in India, though whenever you received a call it would cost you money. Another option would be registering for a UK personal number (they begin +4470) which you could redirect to a phone in India.

Not convinced having a UK phone number will make it any easy for you to apply for a UK job.

rajesh9pl
Mood:

Post by rajesh9pl » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:30 pm

Its very tough in UK these days, probably around the world. Having UK no. would cost you a lot. Also, consultant can easily understand they are calling someone on roaming. Sometimes they refrain to connect call, even if they, they will ask are you on roaming? when will you be back to UK etc.
As i understand consultant first look for candidates who live in commutable distance, if they don't find someone suitable then they expand further. India is quite far :)

I would suggest u to wait till market picks up. Good luck.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:38 am

rajesh9pl wrote:Having UK no. would cost you a lot.
This isn't stictly true. You can get some free personal numbers in the UK that can be redirected to a telephone in India for free (costs the caller though about 0.5GBP/min to call).

Unfortunately though these types of numbers are often used by scammers in Nigeria so the use of one of this numbers may arouse suspicion.

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:39 pm

You can set up a skype phone accoutn that allows you to operate 0208 numbers.

That might help :)

hsmp_1476

Post by hsmp_1476 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:52 pm

you can get skype in number for UK (beginning with 020) for approx $15 for 3 months. Then buy sone skype credit and set call forwarding to your indian number. That should cost $0.12, so its not very expensive.

Thats what I had done when I was looking for jobs from India and it definately helps as consultants will think that you are in UK (provided you have a UK address on the resume). I did this just a week before I was set to travel to UK. But that was an year and a half ago, so things might be different now.

Cheers
Vikram

pyke

Post by pyke » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:12 am

hsmp_1476 wrote:you can get skype in number for UK (beginning with 020) for approx $15 for 3 months. Then buy sone skype credit and set call forwarding to your indian number. That should cost $0.12, so its not very expensive.

Thats what I had done when I was looking for jobs from India and it definately helps as consultants will think that you are in UK (provided you have a UK address on the resume). I did this just a week before I was set to travel to UK. But that was an year and a half ago, so things might be different now.

Cheers
Vikram

Wouldn't they suspect something if you give an 020 number but the address doesn't correspond to the area code? You'd have to put a London address.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:22 am

pyke wrote:
hsmp_1476 wrote:you can get skype in number for UK (beginning with 020) for approx $15 for 3 months. Then buy sone skype credit and set call forwarding to your indian number. That should cost $0.12, so its not very expensive.

Cheers
Vikram

Wouldn't they suspect something if you give an 020 number but the address doesn't correspond to the area code? You'd have to put a London address.
ah no, the recruiter isn't bothering to match up numbers to address.

smiles345
Member of Standing

Post by smiles345 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:25 pm

hsmp_1476- how do you do this call diversion to the Indian number? is there any option on skype? please explain

hsmp_1476

Post by hsmp_1476 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:01 pm

smiles345 wrote:hsmp_1476- how do you do this call diversion to the Indian number? is there any option on skype? please explain
Yes, there is an option is Skype. If you goto Skype options and look for call forwarding, you should be able to see all the details. You should have skype credit to do the call forwarding.

-Vikram

smiles345
Member of Standing

Post by smiles345 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:59 am

thanks, hsmp_1476

pyke

Post by pyke » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:22 pm

pyke wrote:
Checked and apparently you can choose from a few area codes. It doesn't have to be 020.

ukchennai
Newly Registered

Uk Mobile Number

Post by ukchennai » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:39 pm

Has anyone tried this option in skype?? i.e. buying subscription for 15 pounds followed by buying skype credit for 10 pounds and enabling call forwarding to indian mobile number...

I have been waiting here in India after my tier 1 visa stamping for close to 4 months. Is that an issue? Can is state valid medical reason?

push

Post by push » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:12 am

Not sure if its still legal in your country (anumber of my friends use it in India) and if I understood your need correctly but you can have a Vonage connection and carry it with you any country. You have a choice of having UK/US or European numbers.

I am not advertising a particular VoIP provider (pls look for other similar offerings as well)but such a number helps you in receiving unlimited calls and free outgoing landline calls within UK and standard tariffs for calls to UK mobile nos.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

cskmail

Post by cskmail » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:46 pm

Hi,

When the market is expected to pick up for IT jobs?
rajesh9pl wrote:Its very tough in UK these days, probably around the world. Having UK no. would cost you a lot. Also, consultant can easily understand they are calling someone on roaming. Sometimes they refrain to connect call, even if they, they will ask are you on roaming? when will you be back to UK etc.
As i understand consultant first look for candidates who live in commutable distance, if they don't find someone suitable then they expand further. India is quite far :)

I would suggest u to wait till market picks up. Good luck.

cskmail

Post by cskmail » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:50 pm

Skype number for UK definitely works.

For getting a decent job in UK, you have to be in UK

:)
ukchennai wrote:Has anyone tried this option in skype?? i.e. buying subscription for 15 pounds followed by buying skype credit for 10 pounds and enabling call forwarding to indian mobile number...

I have been waiting here in India after my tier 1 visa stamping for close to 4 months. Is that an issue? Can is state valid medical reason?

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:14 pm

cskmail wrote:Skype number for UK definitely works.

ukchennai wrote:Has anyone tried this option in skype?? i.e. buying subscription for 15 pounds followed by buying skype credit for 10 pounds and enabling call forwarding to indian mobile number...

I am a free roaming uk sim number as I prefer to live in Europe in between jobs as it is cheaper. Anyway lately the recruiters say off the bat, I know you are out of the country because the number rings differently when it has to roam to reach me. This sucks since the conversation takes a completely different complexion. Usually it doesnt matter if I am not in the country because they just want to forward my CV and schedule an interview but when they think you are out of the country they don't want to do anything until you are back. Annoying.

pyke

Re:

Post by pyke » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:01 pm

republique wrote: I am a free roaming uk sim number as I prefer to live in Europe in between jobs as it is cheaper. Anyway lately the recruiters say off the bat, I know you are out of the country because the number rings differently when it has to roam to reach me. This sucks since the conversation takes a completely different complexion. Usually it doesnt matter if I am not in the country because they just want to forward my CV and schedule an interview but when they think you are out of the country they don't want to do anything until you are back. Annoying.
That does get tricky, doesn't it? I suppose when you tell them that you'll get yourself in the country they'll agree to wait and reschedule the interview? Or does that lead to missed opportunities?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:09 pm

republique wrote:

I am a free roaming uk sim number as I prefer to live in Europe in between jobs as it is cheaper. Anyway lately the recruiters say off the bat, I know you are out of the country because the number rings differently when it has to roam to reach me. This sucks since the conversation takes a completely different complexion. Usually it doesnt matter if I am not in the country because they just want to forward my CV and schedule an interview but when they think you are out of the country they don't want to do anything until you are back. Annoying.
Maybe say ur in Germany or wherever for interview? I was in Hamburg last week and got a few calls - I think it looks good - that u are in demand everywhere...

Anyway, how come ur still on thin ice? And what did u say to get on thin ice?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:34 pm

Wanderer wrote:
republique wrote:

Maybe say ur in Germany or wherever for interview? I was in Hamburg last week and got a few calls - I think it looks good - that u are in demand everywhere...

Anyway, how come ur still on thin ice? And what did u say to get on thin ice?
I dont really remember what I said, I do remember I didn't think it was a big deal. However I agree, I felt by now that this distinguishing title would have been removed but alas it has not.

pyke

Re:

Post by pyke » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:07 pm

Wanderer wrote:
That's difficult if you're on Tier 1 though, as it doesn't quite allow work in other countries.

I go in and out of the country too, but tell them that I'm on holiday. Not sure if that makes me sound like a slacker though!

pyke

Post by pyke » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:12 pm

republique wrote:
I dont really remember what I said, I do remember I didn't think it was a big deal. However I agree, I felt by now that this distinguishing title would have been removed but alas it has not.
Don't worry, it gives you a bit of an edge!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re:

Post by Wanderer » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:48 pm

pyke wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
That's difficult if you're on Tier 1 though, as it doesn't quite allow work in other countries.

I go in and out of the country too, but tell them that I'm on holiday. Not sure if that makes me sound like a slacker though!
Plenty of EU co's sponsor Work Permits - doubt the average IT recruitment agent knows the ins and outs of WP/HSMP/Tier1/Tier2 rules!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:04 am

pyke wrote:
republique wrote:
Don't worry, it gives you a bit of an edge!
If you say so :?