ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

name change before, during or after naturalisation.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

strongbow
Member of Standing

name change before, during or after naturalisation.

Post by strongbow » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:11 pm

Folks,
Just wondering if someone can advise on the following.

My wife is applying for naturalisation after 5 years of living/working here. She hasn't changed her maiden name yet after marriage but wants to change it now. This will mean that my first name would be her middle name and surname will be my surname.

Obviously all her documentation here so far has been in her maiden name.

We are thinking which is the best time to change her name.

1. Change her name before applying for naturalisation : The key issue here being that all her documents that will be attached with the naturalisation form will have her maiden name. One only hopes that this is not an issue. Additionally she will have to get a new passport as well.

2. Change her name while the naturalisation application is being processed: Don't know if there are any issues with this, except that the original form she would send will have her maiden name and one would only hope that INIS will issue her naturalisation cert in the changed name rather than the old name.

3. Change her name after naturalisation: In this case her naturalisation cert will have the old name. Will this be an issue? Once she changes her name after naturalisation will she get a new naturalisaiton cert?

Any information/thoughts on the above are welcome.
Does anyone have first-hand experience of this.

americanboy
Newly Registered

Re: name change before, during or after naturalisation.

Post by americanboy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:18 pm

strongbow wrote:Folks,

My wife is applying for naturalisation after 5 years of living/working here. She hasn't changed her maiden name yet after marriage but wants to change it now. This will mean that my first name would be her middle name and surname will be my surname.

1. Change her name before applying for naturalisation : The key issue here being that all her documents that will be attached with the naturalisation form will have her maiden name. One only hopes that this is not an issue. Additionally she will have to get a new passport as well.

2. Change her name while the naturalisation application is being processed: Don't know if there are any issues with this, except that the original form she would send will have her maiden name and one would only hope that INIS will issue her naturalisation cert in the changed name rather than the old name.

3. Change her name after naturalisation: In this case her naturalisation cert will have the old name. Will this be an issue? Once she changes her name after naturalisation will she get a new naturalisaiton cert?

the 3rd option is the best. you can submit ur marriage certificate while applying for her passport. dont do anything untill that. thats my idea any way

aswadref

Post by aswadref » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:19 am

hello strongbow,
i dont think it will be that complecated and the embassy wont give u a new passport all they will do is stamp it under observation best option i think is ring up the indian embassy and find out wht they do when they change the name...may be u get some ling from there

ChIrl

Post by ChIrl » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:38 pm

Hi

I am also in the same position as you. I am also planning to apply my wife's naturalisation application and wondering about changing her mainden name.

My wife also completed 5 years, but i am planning to apply based on my Naturalisation, which I received recently. I am under impression that processing based on Irish spouse is quicker. Any ideas?

Nehro
Ireland

Post by Nehro » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:32 pm

americanboy wrote:

the 3rd option is the best. you can submit ur marriage certificate while applying for her passport. dont do anything untill that. thats my idea any way
I agree. Only change the name after getting the naturalisation certificate and the first passport. Once she gets the first passport with the old name, then she can submit a new passport application with the new name in section 2A and the old name in section 2B of the application Form (that is the name on her birth and naturalisation certificates, but with ticking the box of "do not wish to record my birth certificate name on my passport"). The new passport application should be accompanied with her old passport, and marriage certificate. This is what my wife has done. Good luck

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:07 pm

Thanks guys for your suggestions...Option 3 looks good to me as well. I guess that there's no need to ask for Dept of Justice in that case for another naturalisation cert as she will be changing her name AFTER getting the first passport.

@ChIRL - I don't know of your situation exactly but in my case, we have been married for 5.5 years now but I got naturalisaed only in Nov last year so my wife cannot apply on the basis of being married to an Irish citizen. If my understanding is correct, she can apply for naturalisation on the basis of marriage to Irish citizen only after we remain married and live together in Ireland for 3 years AFTER my naturalisation--only that way the condition of being married to an Irish citizen for 3 years is satisfied. don't know if what I'm saying makes sense. She has completed 5+ years here now in her own right as a person working on a spousal work permit so she's applying on that basis.
Yes you are right in that applications on the basis of marriage to Irish citizens or Irish association are being processed much faster than other applications.

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:10 pm

@Nehro - 1 question for you.
When your wife changed her name after getting her first Irish passport I presume she had to go to the court and execute a deed poll and only then applied for the second Irish passport with the changed name? Can you confirm the procedure please.
Thanks in advance.

Nehro
Ireland

Post by Nehro » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:01 pm

strongbow wrote:@Nehro - 1 question for you.
When your wife changed her name after getting her first Irish passport I presume she had to go to the court and execute a deed poll and only then applied for the second Irish passport with the changed name? Can you confirm the procedure please.
Thanks in advance.
Hi Strongbow
All she did was filling a new passport application Form witnessed in the Garda Station, putting in my surname as hers, and then submitting it along with our marriage certificate.
Hope this helps.