ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP extension -- Council Tax payment defaulted

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

shrini25
Newly Registered

HSMP extension -- Council Tax payment defaulted

Post by shrini25 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:59 am

Hello All,

Currently I am applying for my extension (HSMP) FLR.
Yesterday I received a letter from the council stating that we (sharing my Apt with my friend) had not paid the council tax from april (we had paid for earlier months) and they are filing a case in the county court against us. If we want to settle it we should call them up. The letter also had an hearing date on it.
We were very surprised as this was unintentional and the last council tax my friend had set up a direct debit from his account and he missed to actually check if subsequent txns were taken from his account. We called up today and explained the case and they have found our case genuine and settled it today.

Question: As I am applying for my HSMP (Tier -1) extension should I need to mention this as this was not tried or we didnt go for any hearing.We called up the council office within the next day and settled it? I had seen some posts here that people's visa gettign rejected because of some traffic offence which was not explicity reported.
If i did mention do I need to send any specific document to say that it was resolved within the next dayand it was an uninentional case? Does sending information weaken my case for extension and put me on the mercy of the case worker to give the judgement?

Appreciate all inputs as I am planning to put my extension letter in just one week. I just hope this would have got delayed :(

Thanks in advance...

ChetanOjha

Re: HSMP extension -- Council Tax payment defaulted

Post by ChetanOjha » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:12 pm

shrini25 wrote:Hello All,

Yesterday I received a letter from the council stating that we (sharing my Apt with my friend) had not paid the council tax from april (we had paid for earlier months) and they are filing a case in the county court against us. If we want to settle it we should call them up. The letter also had an hearing date on it.
We were very surprised as this was unintentional and the last council tax my friend had set up a direct debit from his account and he missed to actually check if subsequent txns were taken from his account. We called up today and explained the case and they have found our case genuine and settled it today.

Question: As I am applying for my HSMP (Tier -1) extension should I need to mention this as this was not tried or we didnt go for any hearing.We called up the council office within the next day and settled it? I had seen some posts here that people's visa gettign rejected because of some traffic offence which was not explicity reported.
If i did mention do I need to send any specific document to say that it was resolved within the next dayand it was an uninentional case? Does sending information weaken my case for extension and put me on the mercy of the case worker to give the judgement?

Appreciate all inputs as I am planning to put my extension letter in just one week. I just hope this would have got delayed :(

Thanks in advance...
No need to mention this in your application. You will be fine without it.

shrini25
Newly Registered

Post by shrini25 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:16 pm

Hi Chetan,
Thank you very much for a prompt response.
Not mentioning it in the application qualify for a non-disclosure? or is it that the council tax settled(without any hearing) does not lead to a criminal so not required to mention.
I know its too much to ask, but is there any link on the home office site which can tell me about any similar instance?

Thank you for taking time to answer this query.

Regards,
Shrini
chetanojha wrote:

Thanks in advance...

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:26 pm

shrini25 wrote:Hi Chetan,
Thank you very much for a prompt response.
Not mentioning it in the application qualify for a non-disclosure? or is it that the council tax settled(without any hearing) does not lead to a criminal so not required to mention.
I know its too much to ask, but is there any link on the home office site which can tell me about any similar instance?

Thank you for taking time to answer this query.

Regards,
Shrini
chetanojha wrote:

Thanks in advance...
I don't have any link to prove it. But the issue is clearly with the direct-debit not setup correctly or so, which was rectified. The issue was not from your side but on council's side. Once you have given instructions of direct debit they have to make sure it is setup correctly as you are not managing their systems. Responsibility lies on other side and not you.You trusted them and didn't checked the bank account presuming it is setup correctly which is further acknowledged by other party as well. Many people who pay on monthly basis(without direct debit) miss the payments while they are away on holidays or out of country. Also you are not fined anything for that, nor you were summoned to court,nor convincted by judge.
I don't think you will any problem due to this.

kapoor@yahoo.com

Post by kapoor@yahoo.com » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:52 pm

No need to be concerned about this as it is just a reminder to you( with legal wording).

nksg

Post by nksg » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:55 pm

as long as all the dues are settled you should be fine...

Thanks in advance...

shrini25
Newly Registered

Post by shrini25 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:04 pm

Hi Kapoor/nksg/chetan,

To be more presise these guys send me a letter saying that they have made a complaint to the magistrates court that I have not paid the council tax. So they have send me a summon to appear before the magistrates court. We settled this within one day of receiving this letter and I guess they will take the case back or say its settled (not sure of how this works)
Is sending a summon also considered a criminial offence?

Shrini
kapoor@yahoo.com wrote:No need to be concerned about this as it is just a reminder to you( with legal wording).

rsathish

Post by rsathish » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:15 pm

Summon, Complaint, deffered-payments etc are different from

Default, conviction, Criminal offense...

Don't confuse them & lose your sleep over it.

You don't have to declare anything nor should you be guilty over anything. Period.
shrini25 wrote:Hi Kapoor/nksg/chetan,

To be more presise these guys send me a letter saying that they have made a complaint to the magistrates court that I have not paid the council tax. So they have send me a summon to appear before the magistrates court. We settled this within one day of receiving this letter and I guess they will take the case back or say its settled (not sure of how this works)

Shrini
kapoor@yahoo.com wrote:No need to be concerned about this as it is just a reminder to you( with legal wording).

shrini25
Newly Registered

Post by shrini25 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:41 pm

Thanks Satish and everybody who posted thier insights. I really appreciate it ...
Now I am going to have a sound sleep ;)

Regards,
Shrini
rsathish wrote:Summon, Complaint, deffered-payments etc are different from

Default, conviction, Criminal offense...

Don't confuse them & lose your sleep over it.

You don't have to declare anything nor should you be guilty over anything. Period.
shrini25 wrote:Hi Kapoor/nksg/chetan,

Shrini