ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dublin airport passport inspection

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Dublin airport passport inspection

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:33 am

Question about arriving as a family with some people having EU passports, and some having non-visa-requiring passports.

Do the non-EU have to use a different lane from the EU? Do they need to fill out forms, or is the passport just stamped on entry?

Or is the inspection just as quick as the EU inspection?

El shaddai
Member of Standing

Post by El shaddai » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:39 am

Nothing is as quick as Eu Line,as a Non EU or if u are family member u need to go to Non Eu and your passport will be stamp in and sometimes lots of questions about your EU spouse,it depends on which officer at the counter.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:42 am

Do the non-EU have to fill out a form?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:05 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Do the non-EU have to fill out a form?
They certainly do mate. They will also be subjected to answering irrelevant and stupid question.

If you are with your partner, it will certainly limit the intimidation, that she would have to face.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:30 am

Obie can I ask you what kind of questions they ask?

I can only imagine, I always wondered about this? Lets say in a couple of years myself (Irish citizen exercising treaty rights moving home under EU law) and my Non-EU spouse arrive at Dublin airport? Does he go through the non-eu queue alone or could I go with him??

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:42 am

ciaramc wrote:Obie can I ask you what kind of questions they ask?

I can only imagine, I always wondered about this? Lets say in a couple of years myself (Irish citizen exercising treaty rights moving home under EU law) and my Non-EU spouse arrive at Dublin airport? Does he go through the non-eu queue alone or could I go with him??
I was asked why i haven't led an independent life? even though i showed them my university admission letter and Tution fees paid by my sister, and the fact that i have never worked and under 21 years.

My sister (EU National) was asked what she is doing in Ireland. Even though she is an EU national and not allowed to be asked that kind of question.

The officer even had the audacity of asking her how she obtained her British Passport.

He was even asking me when i would be returning to the UK, having seen my sister's work transfer, and having told him previously that i will be here for the foreseeable future.

It is quite a boring experience.

If she hadn't come to that Non-eu queue i think i would certainly have lost it with that guy. She was the voice of reasoning calming me down.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:54 am

Obie wrote:The officer even had the audacity of asking her how she obtained her British Passport.
Could it be he did not have a passport himself and was wondering about the process of getting one?

Remember they can ask all the questions they want, but you do not have to answer them. It may be worth very visibly writing down the questions they are asking.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:09 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote: Could it be he did not have a passport himself and was wondering about the process of getting one?
I thought along those lines as well. Or perhaps there was some underlying cognitive deficiency.
Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Remember they can ask all the questions they want, but you do not have to answer them. It may be worth very visibly writing down the questions they are asking.
I had already told him we will not dignify that question with an answer, before my sister intervened and answered his silly question.

scrudu

Re: Dublin airport passport inspection

Post by scrudu » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:39 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Question about arriving as a family with some people having EU passports, and some having non-visa-requiring passports.

Do the non-EU have to use a different lane from the EU? Do they need to fill out forms, or is the passport just stamped on entry?

When travelling together we always go to the non-EU queue together and hand in both passports. Usually 0 questions are asked and the non-EU passport simply stamped. We do this as I am willing to stand up to the Immigration officers should they get "arsy". We have tried both going to the EU counter together only to be turned back so haven't done this since. We've gone seperately and my husband has been asked questions (nothing harassing or difficult). It's just easier to go together we've found. We do the same when we visit other EU countries. When we've handed in the 2 passports together my husband has been asked far fewer (usually none) questions.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:12 pm

In Schengen, the non-EU family members can go in the EU line.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:47 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Question about arriving as a family with some people having EU passports, and some having non-visa-requiring passports.

I asked this question to the European Commission on 04/06/09 and am awaiting a reply.

In my experience, currently there are no forms / landing cards at Irish ports of entry.

Obie wrote:My sister (EU National) was asked what she is doing in Ireland. Even though she is an EU national and not allowed to be asked that kind of question.
Incorrect. An EU national's right to reside in accordance with the Directive is, beyond the first three months, conditional on his/her exercising a Treaty Right. It is reasonable, therefore, that an EU national is asked "what she is doing in Ireland".
Last edited by Ben on Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:13 pm

benifa wrote:
No, currently there are no forms / landing cards at Irish ports of entry.
They gave me a form to fill in my details. Perhaps that is not a landing form. It might be due to me not providing them with a visa. I will check with my sister as she was the one that filled it.
benifa wrote:Incorrect. An EU national's right to reside in accordance with the Directive is, beyond the first three months, conditional on his/her exercising a Treaty Right. It is reasonable, therefore, that an EU national is asked "what she is doing in Ireland".
I sort of agree with you in a way. But my point was, she showed them a work transfer letter and it was her first entrance into Ireland.

I still maintain the view, that based on the above facts, that the question was stupid and unnecessary.

I suppose you will agree with them asking her "How did she obtain her British Passport" as well.

Even the officer realised the errors of his questioning in the end. Despite his failure to acknowledge it.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:25 pm

Incorrect. An EU national's right to reside in accordance with the Directive is, beyond the first three months, conditional on his/her exercising a Treaty Right. It is reasonable, therefore, that an EU national is asked "what she is doing in Ireland".
I do not see why it is reasonable to ask an EU citizen on arrival. They can enter as they wish. Even if they previously were not working and staying too long, each arrival resets the clock and they get the initial 90 days of time to do whatever they want.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:29 pm

Obie wrote:I suppose you will agree with them asking her "How did she obtain her British Passport" as well.
You suppose wrong Obie. :roll:

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:51 pm

I note you have edited you previous post.

I am not confidently inaccurate, as you stated earlier.

I am still learning, and open to correction, and acknowledge my mistakes.

I am obviously not as knowledgeable as you are. But hopefully i might get there one day. I can only be hopeful.

Sorry for any upset i may have caused you

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:55 pm

*sigh*

You see this is what you do - you post something, get corrected or read an alternative opinion, defend yourself, then post back all humble-like with your tale between your legs.

So many threads of late have been like this. What's the point?

Unfortunately phpBB2 doesn't have an ignore facility.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:00 pm

deleted.
Last edited by Obie on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:35 pm

We've passed though Dublin Airport quite a few times this year, and we have always taken the E.U queue...The only question we've been asked so far was where were we returning from. I've never had my passport stamped,and I wouldn't really mind getting the stamp. The more stamps the passport has, the quicker it passes scrutiny (generally, I think). I guess the questions depend on the officers manning the booth.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:53 pm

archigabe wrote:I guess the questions depend on the officers manning the booth.
Exactly archigabe - this is the main problem.

The GNIB have yet to release into the public domain any kind of border immigration "manual" (unlike the UK who openly host theirs, here). Why is this? While I have no proof, I suspect it's because no such manuals exists. According to Aisling Brennan, FOI officer at the DoJ, the Gardai are not subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act, so are not obliged to divulge any such of information to the public.

Anyway, I digress, but it could explain why the behaviours of GNIB officers are so very inconsistent.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:32 pm

benifa wrote:*sigh*

You see this is what you do - you post something, get corrected or read an alternative opinion, defend yourself, then post back all humble-like with your tale between your legs.

So many threads of late have been like this. What's the point?

Unfortunately phpBB2 doesn't have an ignore facility.
Sorry i was a bit sleepy earlier. What exactly did i post that is incorrect.

I might be wrong, but i can't help thinking that your tone has been particularly harsh with me these past two days.

Please enlighten me on how exactly my tale is between my legs.

I hope you are not seeking to suppress my thoughts, experiences and opinions.

If there is any unresolved issues between us, it will be best for us to resolve it and move forward. Life is too short.

I apologized for any unintended upset i may have caused you, which led to the hostility i have been experiencing from you, and not for any inaccurate item i posted.

You need to tone down the personal attacks, it is really uncool and boring

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:45 pm

I've been asked to fill out an entry form twice to Ireland. Once coming in from Prague, and the other from Philidelphia. Just basic questions really. Have flown in countless time otherwise and never had these.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:38 am

esharknz wrote:
I've been asked to fill out an entry form twice to Ireland. Once coming in from Prague, and the other from Philidelphia. Just basic questions really. Have flown in countless time otherwise and never had these.
Same experience. On the flight home just before landing the airline staff go through the plan handing out Landing Cards to all non-EU passengers. The card is from Immigration and has to be handed in to the Immigration staff.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:03 pm

My sister has confirmed that the form we filled bears the hallmarks of a Landing form, albeit it was not given to us on the plane but when we went to the immigration officer's desk.

There was a second form which me filled, which requested more detailed information about us. That was the last stage before our passports were returned and we were let out. After several hours of grilling and agony.

We have an holiday booked in the next fortnight from Heathrow Airport.

With them, refusing to issue me with a temporary Stamp 4, i suspect i will have to sing the same music with them on my return.

Hopefully, just hopefully they will be better informed by the time i return. One can only hope.

Then again with the fantastic African retreat, i might be compelled to be a bit nicer to them this time.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:13 pm

Deleted

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:40 am

Entry into ireland: Several EU lines which are only for EU (though I suspect also for Residence Card holders). One for all passports. And a few for non-EU passports.