ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

***ILR - List of Possible Documents to Produce ***

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

mrshaque28
Newly Registered

***ILR - List of Possible Documents to Produce ***

Post by mrshaque28 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:16 pm

Hi All

My husband (non UK citizen) and I (UK citizen) are in the process of gathering documents/evidence for his ILR application which we are hoping to submit in early December.

I understand previously at least 20 documents had to be submitted in joint names, however this has now been reduced to 6.

At the moment we have the following in our ever expanding black folder:

PARTICULARS

Birth Certificate x3 (hubby, me and our son)
Change of Name Deed Poll (mine)
Marriage Certificate

DOCUMENTS IN JOINT NAMES

Post Office Savings Account
BT Landline Phone Account
Barclays Bank Account
HSBC Bank Account
Utility Bills (Council Tax and Water)

DOCUMENTS IN INDIVIDUAL NAMES (Hubby)

NHS Medical Card
Manchester City Council Electoral Role Letter
DSA (Driving Standards Agency) Confirmation of Theory Test Letter and Certificate
DVLA Counterpart Driving License
Kwik Fit Car Insurance Certificate of Motor Insurance
Letter from HM Revenue & Customs (NI information)
Welcome Letter of Employment
Payslips (April 2008 – present)
P60 End of Year Certificate 2009
Certifcate of Training – for work
NOCN ESOL Skills for Life (Entry 2) Certificate
Welcome Letter from the Home Learning College
Welcome Letter from the Institute of Certified Bookeepers
Welcome Letter from Emirates Skywards

DOCUMENTS IN MY NAME (do we need to submit any of this?? Im confused!)

CRB Disclosure
General Teaching Council Confirmation Letter
DVLA Counterpart Driving License
Welcome Letter from Emirates Skywards
Payslips (October 2008 – present)
The Children’s Mutual Child Trust Fund Letter
Letter from Kids Allowed
3G Itemised Mobile Phone Bill

DOCUMENTS/CARDS REGARDING OUR RELATIONSHIP

Congratualtion Cards, Birthday cards, Valentine Day cards, Mother’s Day cards, Father’s Day cards etc
Photographs of Special Days – First Family Holiday, 1st birthday party, Days Out, Family Pics etc
Letters from friends and family confirming our relationship
Receipts from days out etc

Erm, have I missed anything out?

Please do let me know if you think this is too much, relevant etc

Many thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Mrs H

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:42 pm

You don't need the proof of relationship for ILR...photos etc.
Do you intend to apply in person? If so, you can take everything and they will select what they want.
I assume you're submitting the ESOL certificate instead of KOL test?
If so, in addition to the certificate you need a letter from the college confirming that the course contained Citizens content and that your husband progressed from one level to the next.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:55 pm

mrshaque28, two questions :-
  1. Have you actually downloaded the form SET(M) and read it? Judging by your list, I doubt it.
  2. How are you applying? By post, or in person at a PEO?
John

mrshaque28
Newly Registered

Post by mrshaque28 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:40 pm

Thanks for your replies Casa and John.

Hubby would like to apply in person so I suppose we will do that.

Re ESOL. Hubby completed this when he first arrived in the UK but, he intends to comlplete and pass the Life in the U.K. test.

Re Set M. Ive had a quick glance at it.

I guess its Section 10 that Im most concerned about. And, having gone throught the paperwork re Settlement visa I assumed, at first, the paperwork process would be of a similar nature hence the long list of documents.

Would appreciate any advice John...

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:54 pm

A couple of comments. Firstly, as you know doubt appreciate, "merely" having ESOL certificates, whilst useful in improving English Language ability, is insufficient as regards obtaining ILR. He either needs to get a completion certificate from a combined ESOL/Citizenship course, or a pass certificate from the Life in the UK Citizenship test.

Secondly, as regards evidence, as the application will be made in person at a PEO, I suggest you select 6 items, as per the form SET(M) .... but no harm taking along the folder anyway. That is, it does no harm having "reserve evidence" available in case it would help the application. We certainly did that back in 2002 when my own wife applied for her ILR at the Birmingham PEO, but in fact none of that "reserve evidence" was needed at all.
John

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:49 am

I agree with John. My only comment would be that now the requirement has been reduced from 20 documents to 6 for some (unexplicable) reason if you're applying in person they appear to want more than the 6 requested. When my husband (successfully) applied at Croydon in March, they selected 15 in total from a mix of joint and single...even though we had 6 in joint names. They seem to like Medical/hospital letters, TV licence, in addition to the normal Utility Bills etc.
Bear in mind if your husband hasn't read the study books and intends to sit the Life in the UK test, this isn't an English language test as such...it's a test of knowledge of the UK...laws, politics, customs and social history.

mrshaque28
Newly Registered

Post by mrshaque28 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:11 am

Again, thank you both for your replies.

We will definately still take along all the evidence that we have collected so far just in case they choose to select more than 6 peices of documents on the day.

Congrats to you both on the success of your spouses applications!

Even though we wont be applying until late November/ early December 2009, we are beginning to feel the pressure.. getting this folder together just helps us to feel orgainsed and prepared I guess.

My hubby and I both understand the requirements/contents of the Life in the UK Test. Ive had a go at some of the practice questions myself and erm if im truthful I would struggle! Hubby is preparing himself for this by reading various books/information on this.

Id like to add that this is an excellent forum for people who are seeking advice. thank you.

Best wishes

Mrs H

naz08
Member of Standing

Post by naz08 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:44 pm

so what is more important then ESOL certificate or life in UK test? does the llife in uk test have en expiry date?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:54 pm

does the llife in uk test have en expiry date?
No
so what is more important then ESOL certificate or life in UK test?
When applying for ILR, or if it wasn't produced when applying for ILR, then when applying for Naturalisation as British, the applicant needs to supply either :-
  • a pass certificate from the Life in the UK Citizenship test, or
  • a completion certificate from a combined ESOL/Citizenship course
Accordingly, whilst an ESOL certificate is worthwhile, in the sense it shows the person has improved their English language ability, such a "mere" ESOL certificate, with no Citizenship content to the course, is useless as regards getting ILR or Naturalisation.
John