ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 Application rejected due to photograph

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

deepthy_ravi
Newly Registered

Tier 1 Application rejected due to photograph

Post by deepthy_ravi » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:06 pm

I am currently living and working in UK on a 5 year employer sponsored work permit. Last month I had submitted an application to convert the work permit to Tier 1 General visa.
Inspite of having 110 points and all the required documentation, my application was rejected saying that my wife’s photograph( tier 1 dependant) is more than 1 month old !!!

My wife came to UK on a WP dependant visa in August 2008 and the case worker would have cross checked her visa photograph against the photo provided along with the application.

Can someone please let me know if we can appeal against this verdict?

If yes, how long does the process take?

Thanks.

Vardhineni

Post by Vardhineni » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi,

As per the guidelines, the photograph should not be more than 1 month.

Have you submitted the same photograph as the one used for initial visa in Aug 08?

If you have then the case worker is correct in rejecting the application. You cannot appeal.

If not, then how would you prove that it is a recent photo? I do not see any chances of appealing.

--Pradeep

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:45 pm

Sorry to hear abt it ravi..

u might have understood how serious the HO was going to take the photograph issue just by looking at the Photograph GUIDANCE they have setup..

Goodluck anyway..

sxprak2
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 1 Application rejected due to photograph

Post by sxprak2 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:06 pm

Hi Ravi,

Sorry to hear about this.

Lesson learnt the hard way. Appeal might not be possible here.

However, a fresh application can be made, isnt it?

Could senior members please advice if a fresh application can be made in this case?

monday

Post by monday » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:08 pm

HI
The issue of photograph is becoming more serious with HO. I don't think you can appeal if the case worker has not sent an appeal for AIT-1 to you. I will suggest you make a fresh application ASAP if this is possible.

deepthy_ravi
Newly Registered

Post by deepthy_ravi » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:21 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I talked to someone at HO today and he said that the application is 'Invalid' and asked us to re-send the
whole application and supporting documents along with updated photographs.

Does anyone know if the application fee will be refunded or not?

( when they returned the application with all documents, they have not returned the first page of the application form which contains the credit card number !)

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:29 pm

deepthy_ravi wrote:Thanks everyone for your replies.

I talked to someone at HO today and he said that the application is 'Invalid' and asked us to re-send the

( when they returned the application with all documents, they have not returned the first page of the application form which contains the credit card number !)
I think for invalid application, fees is refunded. Besides there are many cases where HO asked for new photographs from people without rejecting/returning application.
Call HO and ask them about the fees. Worth a try. It should be refunded as your application is not "rejected" which means caseworker has not taken any decision on it. But don't loose your sleep over it if it is not refunded.
Reapply as early as you can.

patni
Newly Registered

Post by patni » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:43 pm

I had my application rejected as well, however the accompanying letter said that "arrangements will be made to refund the application fee".

Any idea how long does it take? The 0870 number for UKBA is never reachable.

deepthy_ravi
Newly Registered

Post by deepthy_ravi » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:55 pm

Thats right.. the UKBA number is not reachable. But if you hold the line for nearly an hour, the call may get connected.

I think the fee will be refunded within 35 days !

sxprak2
Newly Registered

Post by sxprak2 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:34 pm

Hi Guys,

I think my application will be rejected as well for the same reason i.e. old photograph.

I applied for HSMP to Tier 1 extension on 16th July. I did not get the reply yet, but as per the pattern I think its lined up for rejection on grounds of invalid application due to old photographs.

I would be grateful if you guys can confirm........

1) We (ppl whose app got rejected due to old photo) can apply again.
2) Application money will be refunded(I am not loosing sleep on this one).
3) Time line . When did you guys apply i.e. after how many days you got to know that you app is rejected.
4) (IMP) Do we need to apply with new bank statements or the old ones would do?

-thanks a lot

patni
Newly Registered

Post by patni » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:43 pm

#2: Dont know when it will be refunded... the letter I got just said "arrangements will be made..."

Has anyone got similar stuff in the letter?

#3 Applied 3 weeks ago

#4 Dont think so.. the requirement is for 12 consecutive months in a 15 month period. I had submitted till June 09 (since I applied in July) so it should be okay

UKBA is pathetic, after charging close to £1000 for an application, the least they can do is provide a means for contacting them.

sxprak2
Newly Registered

Post by sxprak2 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:58 pm

Hi Patni,

Thanks for replying.

By New statements I meant, statements for maintenance funds. I think they will be almost a month old when you reapply.

My case is same as yours, I applied on 16th July which date did you apply? Thing is I am waiting for my application to come back, I will get some idea based on ur timeline.

Its good that they mentioned about refund arrangement in several other rejects they didn't even mention that.

-thanks

patni wrote:#2: Dont know when it will be refunded... the letter I got just said "arrangements will be made..."

Has anyone got similar stuff in the letter?

#3 Applied 3 weeks ago

#4 Dont think so.. the requirement is for 12 consecutive months in a 15 month period. I had submitted till June 09 (since I applied in July) so it should be okay

UKBA is pathetic, after charging close to £1000 for an application, the least they can do is provide a means for contacting them.

ash786
BANNED

Post by ash786 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:12 pm

deepthy_ravi wrote:I am currently living and working in UK on a 5 year employer sponsored work permit. Last month I had submitted an application to convert the work permit to Tier 1 General visa.
Inspite of having 110 points and all the required documentation, my application was rejected saying that my wife’s photograph( tier 1 dependant) is more than 1 month old !!!

My wife came to UK on a WP dependant visa in August 2008 and the case worker would have cross checked her visa photograph against the photo provided along with the application.

Thanks.
Well the guidence is clear why did u provide the old photograph and not the new one as it clearly explains that phograph must be within a mont old time. U have given them a chance to refuse the application uself.

ash786
BANNED

Post by ash786 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:14 pm

sxprak2 wrote:Hi Ravi,

Sorry to hear about this.

Lesson learnt the hard way. Appeal might not be possible here.

However, a fresh application can be made, isnt it?

Could senior members please advice if a fresh application can be made in this case?
Its possible as the OP has mentioned that it was invalid assuming that OP still got valid leave.

ash786
BANNED

Post by ash786 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:16 pm

monday wrote:HI
The issue of photograph is becoming more serious with HO. I don't think you can appeal if the case worker has not sent an appeal for AIT-1 to you. I will suggest you make a fresh application ASAP if this is possible.
If the OP has still got a valid leave then he is not entitled for appeal as he still got a valid leave for the visa. Only chance is to reapply asap.

ash786
BANNED

Post by ash786 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:18 pm

If its a invalid application then the fee shud be refunded as per the guidence. They have kept the payment page so wen u resend the application they will use the details if its same and if u paying with a different card then the new one will be used. Hav u checked that if payment has been taken by HO?

ash786
BANNED

Post by ash786 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:23 pm

sxprak2 wrote:Hi Guys,

I think my application will be rejected as well for the same reason i.e. old photograph.

I applied for HSMP to Tier 1 extension on 16th July. I did not get the reply yet, but as per the pattern I think its lined up for rejection on grounds of invalid application due to old photographs.

I would be grateful if you guys can confirm........

1) We (ppl whose app got rejected due to old photo) can apply again.
2) Application money will be refunded(I am not loosing sleep on this one).
3) Time line . When did you guys apply i.e. after how many days you got to know that you app is rejected.
4) (IMP) Do we need to apply with new bank statements or the old ones would do?

-thanks a lot
If the Ho refuse the application on the basis of invalid due to photographs then it will be returned to you. U will be able to reapply if u still have a valid leave and if not then an appeal form shud be included. The bank statements will be fine as long as the most recement statement does not pass the 1 month old rule. If the most receent statement passed the 1 mont rule then a new bank statement wud be required.

deepthy_ravi
Newly Registered

Post by deepthy_ravi » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:26 pm

ash786 wrote:
deepthy_ravi wrote:I am currently living and working in UK on a 5 year employer sponsored work permit. Last month I had submitted an application to convert the work permit to Tier 1 General visa.

Thanks.
Well the guidence is clear why did u provide the old photograph and not the new one as it clearly explains that phograph must be within a mont old time. U have given them a chance to refuse the application uself.

That was a miss out on our side.I was more keen about the photo size specification and the background..and did not read the line that said that the photo should not be more than a month old.

'U have given them a chance to refuse the application uself'

:(

ash786
BANNED

Post by ash786 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:05 pm

deepthy_ravi

My whole point is that why not check the application and the documents in the first place to avoid situations like that. Its u career and future. Anyway if they have returned the application and u still got valid leave then just reapply as it was not a refusal cuz application was invalid. Just make sure that the most recent statement is within a month at the time of the application. Gud luk.

deepthy_ravi
Newly Registered

Post by deepthy_ravi » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:32 pm

chetanojha wrote:

I think for invalid application, fees is refunded. Besides there are many cases where HO asked for new photographs from people without rejecting/returning application.
Call HO and ask them about the fees. Worth a try. It should be refunded as your application is not "rejected" which means caseworker has not taken any decision on it. But don't loose your sleep over it if it is not refunded.
Reapply as early as you can.

HO has refunded the amount. Got the refund today.

oceanboy_99
Newly Registered

Post by oceanboy_99 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi deepthy_ravi,

This morning, after 4 weeks since I sent my Tier 1 General application, I received a bad news, saying that my application is invalid and therefore rejected. The reason of the rejection is the same as yours.

How did you get the refund? Was it automatically done?

What are you going to do next? Reapplying?

Thanks a lot in advance.

patni
Newly Registered

Post by patni » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:58 pm

Finally got the refund, the same manner as the mode of payment.

took 15 days from date of rejection.

Incidentally they rejected me a second time: I resent the old application form. They want a brand new form. No fee was charged the second time.

deepthy_ravi
Newly Registered

Post by deepthy_ravi » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:52 pm

Isnt this ridiculous? Legitimate applicants who are paying most of their hard earned money as taxes to UK govt are bearing the brunt of their immigration rules !
Last edited by deepthy_ravi on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sapphire1974

Post by Sapphire1974 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:28 pm

How would they know if pic is exactly a month old? I think pic of my son and my wife is about a month old...I can foresee whats gona happen to my application now :(

How did you get the money back? did you write to them?

And more over if you reapply after say three months; you need to keep £2400 in bank account again :(

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:59 pm

Sapphire1974 wrote:How would they know if pic is exactly a month old? I think pic of my son and my wife is about a month old...I can foresee whats gona happen to my application now :(
Only way I can think of to know about age of photograph is comparing it with other photographs in passport. I think in this case OP has used same photograph for visa issued well back in past.