ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extending Discretionary Leave - affected by housing benefit?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sarah2007
Newly Registered

Extending Discretionary Leave - affected by housing benefit?

Post by sarah2007 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:29 am

I am British, my husband is Jordanian. He was an overstayer so he was refused a marriage visa but he was granted Discretionary Leave instead. This runs out in November and we need to extend it for another 3 years.

I am not currently working (we have two small children), but my husband is working full time. Despite the fact that my husband is working, due to the high rent in the area where we live (Central London), we have to claim housing benefit to make up the rent.

I am really worried that the fact that we claim housing benefit will affect the extending of his visa, and that he will be refused.

The housing benefit is in my name but he is mentioned on the forms. I know that he is allowed to claim benefits, but the forms always say that you need to be able to support yourself without having to use public funds. I am really confused and worried and any help would be much appreciated. I have searched everywhere but can't find a definite answer on this.

Thanks in advance,

Sarah

abidjan1

Re: Extending Discretionary Leave - affected by housing bene

Post by abidjan1 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:46 pm

i personnaly think that he shouldn't a problem as his name is on the form because your married.
sometime ago i did see what classified as public fund in different application regarding leave to remain but couldn't find it today. try to google it.

abidjan1

Post by abidjan1 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:48 pm

jude

Post by jude » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:22 pm

Are you not claming child tax credit or child benifits?
Housing benifit is ok but it has to be in both names.
hallo

segzeybaba
Newly Registered

Post by segzeybaba » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:58 pm

sarah....how did u apply for DL and what are your 'exceptional circumstances'

i am in the same situation as your hubby before he got DL,

Please enlighten me darlin