ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI for my daughter

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mallikz

OCI for my daughter

Post by mallikz » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:20 am

Thanks all for your help.

Soon I'm going to apply BC (on MN1) for my daughter who was born here. Currently she is holding Indian Passport.

My question is once she got the British Passport, can I apply OCI for her immediately or do I need to wait until I got my BC (currently I'm on ILR)?

any thoughts??

thanks

llNicell

Re: OCI for my daughter

Post by llNicell » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:39 pm

mallikz wrote:Thanks all for your help.

Soon I'm going to apply BC (on MN1) for my daughter who was born here. Currently she is holding Indian Passport.

My question is once she got the British Passport, can I apply OCI for her immediately or do I need to wait until I got my BC (currently I'm on ILR)?

any thoughts??

thanks
yes, you can apply for her OCI & you do no need to wait unitil you get your BC.

tech
Member of Standing

Post by tech » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:38 pm

No you can't. You can only get PIO. To get OCI , parents need to hold foreign passport.

http://www.cgibirmingham.org/OCI.htm

Read the below
"However, minor children, whose both parents are Indian citizens, are not eligible for OCI"

Hope this helps.

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:03 am

Tech,
For god’s sake please don’t give wrong information. The rule is either the applicant or his/her parents or grandparents was holding Indian passport after Jan 26, 1950, then the applicant is eligible to apply for OCI.

Give the appropriate link for OCI application.

http://hcilondon.in/oci.php

http://mha.nic.in/uniquepage.asp?Id_Pk=553

mallikz

Post by mallikz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:33 am

RAJ2007 wrote:Tech,
For god’s sake please don’t give wrong information. The rule is either the applicant or his/her parents or grandparents was holding Indian passport after Jan 26, 1950, then the applicant is eligible to apply for OCI.

Thanks for your replies. But still I'm a little confused.

My daughter is currenlty holding an Indian Passport and I registered her birth as an Indian. Therefore I'm thinking that as she has got the Indian Citizenship so she can apply for OCI directly without waiting for my BC.
Is this correct?

thanks

HSMP2008_JANUARY

Post by HSMP2008_JANUARY » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:51 am

mallikz wrote:

My daughter is currenlty holding an Indian Passport and I registered her birth as an Indian. Therefore I'm thinking that as she has got the Indian Citizenship so she can apply for OCI directly without waiting for my BC.
Is this correct?

thanks
You will be applying for OCI only after your daughter gets British passport.
Even if your daughter did not hold Indian passport or registered as Indian citizen they are still entitled to OCI as you (Parent) hold Indian passport and getting OCI for your daughter has got nothing to do with your BC.

mallikz

Post by mallikz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:55 pm

HSMP2008_JANUARY wrote:
mallikz wrote:

Is this correct?

thanks
You will be applying for OCI only after your daughter gets British passport.
Even if your daughter did not hold Indian passport or registered as Indian citizen they are still entitled to OCI as you (Parent) hold Indian passport and getting OCI for your daughter has got nothing to do with your BC.
I heard that if any child born here and got the BC immediatly without any Indian Passport then in that case either of the parent should have BC to get OCI for the child.

But I dont have any idea about a child born here and got Indian Passport first then got the BC should require either of the parents should have BC???

Can some one thro some light?

HSMP2008_JANUARY

Post by HSMP2008_JANUARY » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:48 pm

Look its simple. Now your daughter have denounced Indian citizenship and accepted British Citizenship. So if she needs visa to visit India she need to have Indian visa as India dont have dual citizenship. But Indian govt introduced a rule saying that those who were Indian citizen earlier or their parents hold Indian passport after 1950 they can apply for new visa called OCI which makes them live in India as long as they want and without reporting to police station for every 180 days ( and cant vote and hold agri land) as other visa holds.

I hope this will clear your doubts.

mallikz

Post by mallikz » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:54 pm

This is very clear and thanks for your help.

IMBerocca
Newly Registered

Post by IMBerocca » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:54 am

mallikz,

you can apply for OCI if you or your wife have got British citizenship. If you are still on Indian passport, you can only apply for PIO for you child.

One of the parents need to be British to apply for OCI for a child holding British citizenship.

mallikz

Post by mallikz » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:02 pm

IMBerocca wrote:mallikz,

you can apply for OCI if you or your wife have got British citizenship. If you are still on Indian passport, you can only apply for PIO for you child.

One of the parents need to be British to apply for OCI for a child holding British citizenship.
HI IMBerocca, I disagree with you, as my daughter has already got an Indian Passport and she is registered as an Indian. Please see the rule for OCI extracted from the site

"A foreign national, who
was eligible to become
citizen of India on
26.01.1950 or was a
citizen of India on or at
anytime after 26.01.1950
or belonged to a territory
that became part of India
after 15.08.1947 and
his/her children and
grand children, provided
his/her country of
citizenship allows dual
citizenship in some form
or other under the local
laws, is eligible for
registration as Overseas
Citizen of India (OCI).
Minor children of such
person are also eligible
for OCI. However, if the
applicant had ever been a
citizen of Pakistan or
Bangladesh, he/she will
not be eligible for OCI."

I agree with HSMP2008_JANUARY.

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:02 pm

Mallikz,

I agree with IMBerocca. I rang HCi twice and spoke to two different people last week and I also checked the FAQ in mha website, it clearly says that

ONLY FOR MINORS - if a minor like to get OCI then one of the parents should be eligible for OCI, that means one of the parent must be holding foreign passport. I used to think like you and was surprised after speaking to HCI.

'Minor children of such
person are also eligible
for OCI.' - in your case, you and youwife both are still and therefore not eligible for OCI yet. therefore your minor child can't get OCI yet. It's very odd, no logic in it. unfortuately, that's how it works.

That's why I am going to apply for my son's PIO this week not OCI! After I get my British passport (next year) I can transfer my son's PIO to OCI by paying £18.

You can also check with HCI - 02078368484, option 2, then option 3.

mallikz

Post by mallikz » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:51 pm

RAJ2007 wrote:Mallikz,

I agree with IMBerocca. I rang HCi twice and spoke to two different people last week and I also checked the FAQ in mha website, it clearly says that

ONLY FOR MINORS - if a minor like to get OCI then one of the parents should be eligible for OCI, that means one of the parent must be holding foreign passport. I used to think like you and was surprised after speaking to HCI.

'Minor children of such
person are also eligible
for OCI.' - in your case, you and youwife both are still and therefore not eligible for OCI yet. therefore your minor child can't get OCI yet. It's very odd, no logic in it. unfortuately, that's how it works.

That's why I am going to apply for my son's PIO this week not OCI! After I get my British passport (next year) I can transfer my son's PIO to OCI by paying £18.

Hi Raj,

I tried that number but no one is picking up the call, i waited for almost 10 mins :(

Anyway, one question, if you apply PIO now and want to convert that PIO to OCI we need to pay £18 pounds is it???
But unfortunately i didnt see this information on the site. Do you have the link?

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:29 am

see at the bottom of the page where the fees are mentioned, there fees for pio holders is £18.

another no you can try 02076323119

HSMP2008_JANUARY

Post by HSMP2008_JANUARY » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:55 am

RAJ2007 wrote:Mallikz,

'Minor children of such
person are also eligible

You are right, I was wrong on this.
How long does it takes to get PIO ?

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:12 pm

it takes 3 weeks to get pio. also it cheaper.

suppose you apply oci for minor, it would cost £165
whereas if you apply for pio for minor, it is £110 and then to convert to oci you will charged £18.

hert

Post by hert » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi,

I think Raj has clarified the situation that one of the patents has to have a foreign passport. Additional details available on this link-
http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/oci-faq.pdf

Relevant faq -
Can Minor children apply for OCI?
Yes, if either of the parents is eligible for OCI.....Hope that helps

mallikz

Post by mallikz » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:48 pm

Thanks all.

Once i convert from PIO to OCI, will they issue a new visa on the passport and a new booklet for OCI?

Did anyone passed thru this channel?

mallikz

Post by mallikz » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:12 am

mallikz wrote:Thanks all.

Once i convert from PIO to OCI, will they issue a new visa on the passport and a new booklet for OCI?

Did anyone passed thru this channel?
Any updates on this please?

siddiqui29
Newly Registered

oci enquiry

Post by siddiqui29 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:48 pm

dear brother

i am an indian citizen still holding an indian passport, residing in uk on dependant visa

my wife is a dual citizen ( british and pakistani)

my child who is 7 months old is a british citizen by birth.

i just wanted to know if he would be eligible for an oci.

he is not eligible for pio as my wife is a pakistani citizen along with british.

indian embassy says he is not eligible for oci as i still hold an indian passport.as per high commission i can apply for his oci along with mine when i renounce my indian citizenship.

i have consulted a couple of solicitors in uk.they say it does not matter if i still hold an indian passport.my son can still get an oci on my grounds.

i am really confused.

i shall deem it a great favour if you could kindly advice on this matter.

thanks and have a blessed day