ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage in Sweden?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Tiny
Newly Registered

Marriage in Sweden?

Post by Tiny » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:12 pm

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone here knows anything about Swedish marriage regulations. My fiance and I are planning to get married in Sweden soon and we're having a bit of a hard time finding out exactly what it is we have to do.

First, a bit of background - He's a Swedish citizen, living and working in the UK. I'm a Kenyan citizen, currenttly in the UK but will be back in Kenya within the next few weeks.

I know that he has to physically go to the Skatteverket (tax office) to get the marriage licence but do I need to be present too? It'll be pretty expensive to fly over from Kenya to get the marriage licence and then AGAIN for the wedding! :roll:

If anyone's got any information about getting married in Sweden, please let me know. I've been trawling the internet for weeks and can only seem to come up with very basic information.

Thanks!

Tiny

AlexandraSweden
Newly Registered

Post by AlexandraSweden » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:34 am

Hi,

I got married in Sweden 3yrs ago and first before you get married, you have to apply for permission to get married (Hindersprovning). It takes about 2 weeks before you get the result and the you can fix a date wilt a city hall for your wedding and you get the marriage certificate right after the wedding ( Same day)

Our wedding was in Helsingborg but I think its pretty much same in all cities.

Hope this helps

Tiny
Newly Registered

Post by Tiny » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:55 am

Thanks for the info AlexandraSweden but I'm still a little confused! I know he has to go over to Sweden to apply for the Hindersprovning and as far as I know I have to get a similar document from home (Certificate of No Impediment) but what I'm wondering is if I personally need to go to Sweden as well...

Of course I will if I have to but better start saving now! :)

Also, if it makes any difference he's not registered as living in Sweden anymore...

Any more info would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Tiny

AlexandraSweden
Newly Registered

Post by AlexandraSweden » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:59 am

As far as am aware, you have to be in Sweden for the wedding. You can come on a Tourist Visa and yes, you have to submit a certificate of no impediment which is just a paper stating that you are not married and you must be here when you apply for the hindersprovning.

I dont think it makes any difference that he is not registered here anymore as long as he is a Swedish citizen.

Tiny
Newly Registered

Post by Tiny » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:05 pm

Many thanks Alexandra - looks like I'd better start saving for a couple of flights to Sweden! :D