ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Hong Kong Resident moving to Uk - Advice Needed

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ian220375
Newly Registered

Hong Kong Resident moving to Uk - Advice Needed

Post by Ian220375 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi Everyone,

After some research on this subject, I'm getting more and more confused!

I met my girlfriend in 2004 when we both worked for the same company in Hong Kong. I am English and my gf is HK Chinese born in Hong Kong.

In 2005, I transferred back to UK (same company) and my girlfriend continued to live and work in HK and we continued to see each other on frequent trips/ holidays etc.

My girlfriend was recently made redundant and although she found another job quickly she/I decided she wants to move to Uk to live/work, possibly in the future we will get married but initially want to see if the relationship works out.

My girlfriend has a BNO Passport and also a Canadian Passport having lived/studied in Toronto for approx 15 years. She is educated to Degree Level and speaks fluent english.

If necessary, I can prove that we are both financially independant and will not require any government assistance.

In simple terms, what should we do next ......

Thanks for reading and any help appreciated
Ian

pyke

Post by pyke » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:42 am

As the two of you are not married, my guess is that she will have to select one of the immigration categories and apply for it like everyone else.

BNO passports do not confer right of abode in the UK.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:59 pm

If only she had renounced her PRC and Canadian citizenships before 19th March 2009, your girlfriend would have been entitled to register as a British citizen from 13th January 2010.

Alas, it is now too late, and in her present situation she is subject to UK immigration control the same as any other non-visa required non-EEA national.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:24 am

benifa wrote:If only she had renounced her PRC and Canadian citizenships before 19th March 2009, your girlfriend would have been entitled to register as a British citizen from 13th January 2010.

Alas, it is now too late, and in her present situation she is subject to UK immigration control the same as any other non-visa required non-EEA national.

Why on earth would she want to renounce Canadian citizenship, even if it got the option of British citizenship?

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:00 am

JAJ wrote:
benifa wrote:If only she had renounced her PRC and Canadian citizenships before 19th March 2009, your girlfriend would have been entitled to register as a British citizen from 13th January 2010.

Why on earth would she want to renounce Canadian citizenship, even if it got the option of British citizenship?
Because she intends on living in the UK and not in Canada.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.