ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR HSMP JR - Self Employed -InPerson Application Experience

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Shaunking
Newly Registered

ILR HSMP JR - Self Employed -InPerson Application Experience

Post by Shaunking » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:53 pm

Hello everyone,

I got my ILR based on HSMP JR and wanted to share my experience of an In Person application at Birmingham PEO.

Application Type - ILR (SET O) under HSMP JR
PEO - Birmingham
Current Employment Status - Self Employed.
Initial HSMP approval - 10 MAY 2005

Documents Prepared

1. Application form
2. Passports including dependents (Wife +Son)
3. Photographs (Very Recent ) - Do not take old photographs
4. P60s - Past 4 years
5. Ltd company details (Certificate, VAT certificate, Invoices, Business Bank Statements, Tax vouchers, Dividend declaration forms, Business insurance)
6. Payslips (12 months)
7. Bank Statements (Current & Savings) - 12 Months
8. Mortgage Statement
9. Land Registry certificate (Showing me as the owner of the property)
10. Statement of earnings from my previous employers
11. Reference letter from my Previous employer
12. Reference letter from my accountant (For my limited company) addressing directly to the Immigration officer
13. Personal tax computation from my accountant for the year 2008-09 (This indicates my total earnings for the year)
14. HSMP approval letters (Initial + Extension)
15. My current contract documents from Client

My appointment was at 11:00AM. I reached PEO office by 9:00AM as I had to drive 120 miles. Went to the reception and went through the security check and they issued a Token and directed me to the waiting area around 9:15AM.

Luckily there was only one person before me. My number was called at 9:25AM.

At the counter, met my case worker (Very polite Gentleman) and I was offered a seat.

I handed in the application form and passports and also mentioned that I am applying under HSMP JR. Caseworker did a few initial checks and and kept on filling a form (I think their checklist) and asked me whether I have included all my absences from UK. I had clearly indicated my absence from UK which was 52 days in total from past 4 years.

After initial checks, he asked me to provide evidence of my economic activity in the past 4 years. I questioned back saying "I have the documents (Mentioned all the documents I had) and which one should he needs first". He then replied saying "Lets start from P60s". Handed in all 4 P60s. I had 2 original P60s and 2 true copies from my previous employer i.e., stamped and signed on a printout. He then asked me who has stamped these documents. I replied my previous employer and also mentioned that I have reference letter (Stating I was an employee of their company) and statement of earnings for that period. He then took these 2 documents and made some note. He looked at my 2 recent P60s and asked me whether I am employed or self employed. I said "Self Employed". Then he asked me to provide evidence of my business progression. I handed in the reference letter from my Accountant (Comprehensively written) along with my Personal tax computation. He then added these 2 to the rest of the pack and wrote more notes in the checklist document.

He then asked me to write in the application form that " I have switched from SEGS to HSMP on 10 May 2005". I think this is just to make sure to count the absences from 10 May 2005. After I did, he asked for 2 recent photographs of me and each dependant. I handed in the photographs and mentioned that they were taken 3 days back.

He then put all the documents in a folder and said "I have made a decision to give you and your dependents settlement in the UK. Congratulations". I said "Thank you very much" and asked if he needed any bank statements / Payslips etc. He asked me to provide 3 recent payslips but did not ask for the bank statements. Then he asked me to go to the payment counter to make the payment and wait for an hour to collect the passports.

The time was 10:05AM, I made the payment and waited for the passports to arrive. at 10:40AM, my number was called and they gave me all the documents (Except the accountants reference letter which was addressed to them) and passports. Also had a letter mentioning that my dependents and I were made free from Immigration on the 10 may 2009.

Overall it was a plesant experience and I was very pleased with the service.

If you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask.

Cheers
Shaun...

Jk2007
BANNED

Post by Jk2007 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:32 pm

Shaunking,

Congratulations on your success! Best Wishes!!

I am in a similar situation (HSMP JR Self employed), will be applying shortly.

Are you paying yoprself dividends + salary through your limited company? Is this case accepted as self employed?
Last edited by Jk2007 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

indianuk2
Newly Registered

Post by indianuk2 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:04 pm

Jk2007 wrote:Shaunking,

Congratulations on your success! Best Wishes!!

I am in a similar situation (HSMP JR Self employed), will be applying shortly.

Are you paying yopurself dividends + salary through your limited company? Is this case accepted as self employed? Were there any questions asked about this, especially if the salary component is smaller compared to dividends?
Shaunking - I am also in a same position but do not take Payslips at the moment. I do have Remittance Advices from client + my Invoices + Bank Statements to show the earnings in my Business Account. I draw a specific amount every month (incl of Salary + Divident) without any payslip. Will that be a problem? Also I am registered as "PAYE" (Director of my Company) - will that make any difference in terms of documents required?

Idea

ILR-Self-employed PEO Glasgow

Post by Idea » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:59 pm

First my thanks to the admin.s and all posters for all the info on the forum.

I have been browsing the forum for a while and yesterday got my ILR. I thought its my turn to share my experience if it may be useful to anyone.

I had booked the appointment online in mid sept..for in-person application under HSMP-JR category. I got the heads-up on the introduction of online appt. booking through this forum and booked i think 2nd day from introduction.

My background.

Entered the UK dec 2005
got first extension for 4 yrs in dec 06.
worked as staff till mid 2007 and from then as a contractor.

The application process was quite simple and faster than i thought, the appt was for 10am, was there by 9:15 and out by 10:45

doc.s submitted.

-passport
-appln. form+photos
-personal bank stmt-6mths
-business bank stmt-6 mths
-p60s
-contract letters (current+1previous)
-summary of accounts for the last 12 mths from accountant

for the questions in last post

- i did not submit any invoices or dividend vouchers. bec the accoutant statement gave a summary of all invoices in a single sheet, with corporation tax, salary part, dividend part, money in business account left, money drawn etc,

-i operated through an umbrella co. earlier and only operating the business account since april 08. so i did not have self-assesment in hand since its due only in jan 10.

- the accountant letter had info about HMRC reference numbers

hope it helps in someway.

pkumar
Member of Standing

Re: ILR-Self-employed PEO Glasgow

Post by pkumar » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:51 pm

What if you don't remember all your absence? I am afraid i am not sincerely noting my exits and entry.

Idea

Post by Idea » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:09 am

pkumar

you can get your absence dates from the passport stampings (seal during immigration check)

Shaunking
Newly Registered

Post by Shaunking » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Hi Guys,

I am sorry to have confused a few by writing in the first post that I said to the Immigration officer that I am "Self Employed". It was a typo and I actually said I am "Employed".

Jk2007
BANNED

Re: ILR HSMP JR - Self Employed -InPerson Application Experi

Post by Jk2007 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:43 am

Shaunking wrote:...He looked at my 2 recent P60s and asked me whether I am employed or self employed. I said "Self Employed". Then he asked me to provide evidence of my business progression. I handed in the reference letter from my Accountant (Comprehensively written) along with my Personal tax computation. He then added these 2 to the rest of the pack and wrote more notes in the checklist document. ...
The evidence of business progression is asked only for self employed?

pradeeppradhan
Newly Registered

congratulation

Post by pradeeppradhan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:44 am

hi sahun,
congratulation on acessation to UK indefinately..!!
i have some confusions, hope u can clear it as u are experienced.

1. what date is taken to count 4/5 yrs as qualifyingperiod, entry clearance (visa date) or physically check in date?

2. how many days of absences are allowed at maximum in a year and in whole period?

thank you.
pradeep

Janisblue
Newly Registered

Re: ILR HSMP JR - Self Employed -InPerson Application Experi

Post by Janisblue » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:04 am

Hi there,
So dont they charge any money if they will NOT grant it?

If they ask to keep your passport, do you have the option to take the passport to travel?
If yes, does this means they have rejected you OR can you apply again after a while?
Many thanks,
Aysun

kamalin10

Post by kamalin10 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:26 am

Idea wrote:pkumar

you can get your absence dates from the passport stampings (seal during immigration check)
yes, but if you used IRIS then you suppose to get dates from them and so far i couldn't find any website or even information on how to get evidence of your travel dates from IRIS ;)

kamalin10

Post by kamalin10 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:19 am

Shaunking

you have not mentionned police registration certificate.
i assume you were not asked to register with the police but for many other nationals it is still a requirement i think...to register and to provide an up to date document for ILR application (4 or 5 years - no difference)

Jk2007
BANNED

Post by Jk2007 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:23 pm

indianuk2 wrote:[Shaunking - I am also in a same position but do not take Payslips at the moment. I do have Remittance Advices from client + my Invoices + Bank Statements to show the earnings in my Business Account. I draw a specific amount every month (incl of Salary + Divident) without any payslip. Will that be a problem? Also I am registered as "PAYE" (Director of my Company) - will that make any difference in terms of documents required?
IndianUK2,

Have you managed to put together the documents for your application? When are you planning to apply?