ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

immigration/passport checks at Belfast Airport?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ashimashi

immigration/passport checks at Belfast Airport?

Post by ashimashi » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:16 pm

Hi,

Quick question: has anyone got any experience of flying from UK mainland to any of Belfast airports? Is there any passport checks? It's a domestic flight so there shouldn't be, but I was wondering if they ask people upon arrival about their intention/reasons for traveling to Belfast or do they even have the right to. That's for a non-EU citizen, traveling from London to Belfast, having a valid UK visa but NOT an Irish one.

Cheers
Ashimashi

ashimashi

Post by ashimashi » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:27 pm

123 viewing and no opinion!? Thanks for your help guys :-)

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:31 pm

I don't think there are any checks. Even if there were any they wouldn't check for a RoI visa. They'd be interested in checking only your UK visa.

ashimashi

Post by ashimashi » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:32 pm

strongbow wrote:I don't think there are any checks. Even if there were any they wouldn't check for a RoI visa. They'd be interested in checking only your UK visa.
Thanks!

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:17 am

They don't check at the Airport, but don't try to get into the Republic by Bus (and possible train).

These days the Irish Police (garda) is stopping busses every day between NI and Ireland just after the border to check for people without Visas. they also very regularly check the Train running between Belfast and Dublin.

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:13 pm

They don't check at the Airport, but don't try to get into the Republic by Bus (and possible train).
yes this is definitely true..lots of checks these days!

Ben
Diamond Member

Re: immigration/passport checks at Belfast Airport?

Post by Ben » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:15 pm

ashimashi wrote:Quick question: has anyone got any experience of flying from UK mainland to any of Belfast airports? Is there any passport checks?
There are no passport checks for passengers flying from one airport in the UK to another, as a passport is not required to be carried.

There are no border controls for passengers flying from one airport in the UK to another, as no border is being crossed.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

yamaha
Newly Registered

Post by yamaha » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:51 pm

But if you are non-white you could very well be stopped,but if you have a valid visa no reason to worry.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:14 am

yamaha wrote:But if you are non-white you could very well be stopped,but if you have a valid visa no reason to worry.
No passport and no visa is required for movements within the United Kingdom.

yamaha
Newly Registered

Post by yamaha » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:23 am

benifa wrote:
yamaha wrote:But if you are non-white you could very well be stopped,but if you have a valid visa no reason to worry.
No passport and no visa is required for movements within the United Kingdom.

I know mate,but there have been several cases of non-white people being stopped and detained at both Belfast International and Belfast city Airports.
Even from the Scotland to Belfast ferries too.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:36 am

yamaha wrote:I know mate,but there have been several cases of non-white people being stopped and detained at both Belfast International and Belfast city Airports.
Even from the Scotland to Belfast ferries too.
It has been known that the Irish GNIB have had officers at Northern Ireland ports before now, but they're interested only in persons intent on entering Ireland.

The UKBA have no interested in persons moving within the UK, whether it's movement from Birmingham to Bradford or Liverpool to Londonderry.

yamaha
Newly Registered

Post by yamaha » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:04 pm

I see what you mean about concerns that people might try to cross the border illegally,but this guy was on his way back to London,the GNIB confirmed that there was notihng untoward and he still got locked up.

UKBA May Be dearly beloved Afterall
11 October 2009 No Comment
Easy AdSense by Unreal

The government is being sued by a Congolese university lecturer wrongfully arrested during a holiday visit to the UK and then transferred and detained in five centres within a fortnight, spanning England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Jean-Pierre Djimbonge, 51, was held as he left a flight to Northern Ireland. He believes he was victim of an unfair trawl of such flights by immigration officers focusing their attention on non-whites.
The lecturer in hydraulics and thermo-dynamics had the appropriate travel documents and was released only last week, when he was finally able to engage lawyers to make representations on his behalf.
Told of the case, Keith Vaz, chairman of the home affairs select committee, said officials may need to review their procedures for communicating with detainees. “It seems ludicrous to transport someone in detention to three different immigration centres only for him to be released without charge,â€