ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Canada and US tourist Visa requirements..

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

amitc

Canada and US tourist Visa requirements..

Post by amitc » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:21 am

Hello Forum members. I am in UK under Tier1 G visa and both me and my wife working full time in London. We are planning to visit US and Canada next year for few days. Guys can anyone please give me idea about tourist visa for US and Canada? Is there any common visa for US and Canada or I have to apply for both the visas? What documents require for both visa applications? As I didn’t plan any specific date for travel can I apply without accommodation and flight booking and approx date for travelling? Can I apply for long term multiple entry tourist visa?Please guide me the detail procedures. I have already google with diffrent key words but not clear about my queries..

Thanks in advance

johnsienk
BANNED

Post by johnsienk » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:30 pm

<original post deleted>
Last edited by johnsienk on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maxies
Newly Registered

Post by Maxies » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:54 am

Since Canada and USA are 2 separate countries, there is no common tourist visa for both countries.

If your country of origin is not tourist visa exempt for Canada and US, you'll need to apply at the Canadian and US embassies in UK for a tourist visa.

Generally, you'll need to prove that you have sufficient funds and have a strong link with UK (work). Canadian and US immigration does not want you to overstay or live illegally in Canada or in the US. In addition, you need to know exactly where you are going to stay (accomodation) and have a return ticket.

amitc

Post by amitc » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:35 am

Hi Maxies, Thanks for your reply. I have following documents to submit for B2 Visa for US and Temporary resident visa for Canada:
6 mths payslips ( both me and my wife- Permanent Job)
6 mths bank statements ( more than enough funds)
Health Insurance
Pasports, photographs, marriage certificate and birth certificate for baby.

Can you please tell me what else documents require for the visa? Travel date is not fixed yet so dont book any hotel or flight. Is it ok to apply wihout valid accomodation and flight booking? Do you have any idea for how long they usually issue visa? I am looking for 5 yrs multiple so that i dont need to take visa every year.
Thanks in advance..

Maxies
Newly Registered

Post by Maxies » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:12 am

If you provide what the Canadian Immigration officers want, you should be fine with the US Immigration officers since they need less documentation.

You also need to provide the following :

- proof of fund : bank statement (fine), proof of property ownership (if you have one)
- proof of employment : letter of current employer and payslips
- previous passports showing travel history
- Proof of official residence in UK (permit)

Regarding your flight and accomodation, you need to provide full details on the supplementary information form (Canada only). If you have not taken your plane tickets yet, just indicate it on the form that you prefer to wait until you'll get a positive answer.

For both countries, you will need to provide an address where you plan to stay in each country (generally the place where you're staying on the first night). However, you do need to provide a proof that you book an hotel room.

The processing time is around 6 weeks for Canada and 3 weeks for the USA.

In addition, people coming from some countries (Afghanistan, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Syria, Haiti, Rwanda, Somalia, Sudan, Palestinian Authority, China, Russia, Vietnam and Northern Cyprus) have to fill in country-specific form or provide additional documentation. Generally, the processing time for people coming from those countries is longer than the usual 6 weeks and the Immigration authorities in both countries may require several interviews at the embassy or consulate, even though they are UK resident. If it is the case for you, it's better to check with the US and Canadian embassies ASAP as it may delay your vacation trip.

amitc

Post by amitc » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi maxies,

Thanks for your reply. I have booked my appointment with US embassy end of this month. I have nearly managed all docs ready. Please check the list of documents and tell me if its enough:
1. Passports with valid UK visa
2. Photographs
3. filled in DS 156 for all applicant
4. filled in DS 157 form for me
5. Employer letter for me and wife
6. 3 months pay slips for both of us
7. 6 months bank statements for both of us
8. Hotel booking confirmation
9. Travel Insurance

Optional documents carrying with me in case they want see:
10.Police Clearence Certificate from UK
11. Utility bill/ Tenancy agreement ( To prove my UK address)

also a cover letter and list of documents supplied is attached.

Do you think its ok??

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:37 pm

Be careful with the photographs for the US emabassy as they are different from most other embassies. Otherwise list looks ok to me.

Also how long have you been in the UK? I have had suggestions that if you are 'new' to the UK it may be harder to get US or Can visa

amitc

Post by amitc » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:23 pm

Thx f2k for your quick resp.
Yes I know about the photographs. soon I will visit any studio for the photographs as per their guidelines. I am in UK for last 5 yrs.

Visa is totally depend on the case worker. last month one of my friends B2 visa was refused without any valid reason. He is a doctor in UK. Where as another person I know is a student here with less funds got the visa few weeks back. So lets try the luck....

Maxies
Newly Registered

Looks good.

Post by Maxies » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:08 am

It looks good. Good luck for your appointment. Keep us up-to-date.

Cheers,

amitc

Post by amitc » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:06 am

Hi folks, just to inform you that I got B1/B2 Visa for 10 years multiple entries. It was really easy than I expected. Immigration Officer was very friendly. She has just asked me for bank statements and proof of employment. I am relief and planning to visit US/Canada in summer or next year. Guys can anyone got idea about Canada tourist visa requirements and for how long they usually issue visa. If they issue for long time like US then I will apply now otherwise wait till fix my travel dates.
Thanks every one for valuable suggestions.

Maxies
Newly Registered

Post by Maxies » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:46 am

I'm pleased that you got your US Visa.

Actually, the documents submitted for US Immigration officers should be the same for Canadian Immigration officers. Maybe you won't have to see them as they may send you the visa by mail.

However, after applying for a Canadian temporary visa, Immigration officers may ask you or not to have a medical examination, police certificate and an interview with you. It depends on the information submitted on the visa application. Most of the time, they do not require these supplementary details.

Regarding temporary visa, you can apply for a single entry visa or multiple entry visa (it cost more). The validity of a single entry visa is generally 6 months and the multiple entry visa does not exceed the validity of your current passport. For both, the immigration officer decide the validity of the visa on a case-by-case basis.

For more information, I will suggest you to read the following from the Canadian High Commission in London :
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/un ... raire.aspx