ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can a married British National sponsor her brother?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Rebus
Newly Registered

Can a married British National sponsor her brother?

Post by Rebus » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:58 pm

Hi,

I've searched through some of the pages and can't find anything on this topic.

I'd like to find out if someone who is a British Citizen and married, can sponsor her younger brother to come and live in the UK permanently, if both their parents are dead and they have no other brothers or sisters? The brother has been in the UK for a few years on a student visa and is currently on a psw visa, which is some kind of working visa, which lasts a couple of years.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on this.

Thank you.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:24 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Rebus
Newly Registered

Post by Rebus » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:34 pm

Hi Vinny, thanks a lot. Would you know if it makes any difference if the sister is married?

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:25 am

No it doesn't matter if you are married.

However if your brother has PSW and if working he is independent, then he will almost certainly be an adult and it will be next to impossible to sponsor him.

In fact I can almost guarantee that his refusal letter will say that the qualifications he has obtained in the UK will help him when he returns to his coutry of origin.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:21 am

I agree, almost zero chance.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Rebus
Newly Registered

Post by Rebus » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 am

PaperPusher wrote:No it doesn't matter if you are married.

However if your brother has PSW and if working he is independent, then he will almost certainly be an adult and it will be next to impossible to sponsor him.

In fact I can almost guarantee that his refusal letter will say that the qualifications he has obtained in the UK will help him when he returns to his coutry of origin.
Hi, thanks. He's not my brother incidentally, he's a friend. He lives with his sister, but yes he's working, though his PSW has started recently, I think. He was a student before. I noticed that the link refers to siblings over 18, so it seems to be referring to sponsorship over 18. By the way, if he could be sponsored, would it matter that he's already in this country?

So if someone has no other relatives around the world, they have to live alone in their country... That seems kind of sad.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:53 pm

Rebus wrote:
So if someone has no other relatives around the world, they have to live alone in their country... That seems kind of sad.
Welcome to the real world.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:56 pm

meats wrote:
Rebus wrote:
Funny int it? People leave their home countries in pursuit of better things and then want to drag the family over too, cos family is sooo important to them. Well if it is, don't leave in the first place, D'oh!!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:06 pm

Wanderer wrote:
meats wrote:
Rebus wrote:
Funny int it? People leave their home countries in pursuit of better things and then want to drag the family over too, cos family is sooo important to them. Well if it is, don't leave in the first place, D'oh!!
Completely agree.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:11 pm

meats wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
meats wrote:
Rebus wrote:
Completely agree.
Agreed. Also, I don't think the UK does the whole chain immigration thing. I know the US does but unless you're applying for a spouse or a child or something, it takes years. Siblings take years to get granted a visa.
I tell it like it is.

Rebus
Newly Registered

Post by Rebus » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:16 pm

Wanderer wrote:
meats wrote:
Rebus wrote:
That sounds a bit mean. His sister left, not him. Thought this site was about helping people... ;)

But anyway, he's on the other working route and I found out he can get to stay after about 4 years if he does his masters.

Rebus
Newly Registered

Post by Rebus » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:26 pm

boulevardofbrokendreams wrote:
meats wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
meats wrote:
Completely agree.
Agreed. Also, I don't think the UK does the whole chain immigration thing. I know the US does but unless you're applying for a spouse or a child or something, it takes years. Siblings take years to get granted a visa.
And I thought the US was less civilised...

Well, thank you all for your thoughts. Guess that's it then.