ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Voting Rights - Tier 1 visa holder from commonweath country

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dilip_gem

Voting Rights - Tier 1 visa holder from commonweath country

Post by dilip_gem » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:28 pm

Can Tier 1 (General) visa holder from Commonwealth Country vote in the General local elections? I wanted to register in the voter list and found this useful information. Please clarify whether a person on Tier 1 Visa vote in the elections? The site says that "To qualify, Commonwealth citizens must be resident in the UK and either have leave to remain in the UK or not require such leave. The definition of a 'Commonwealth citizen' includes citizens of British Crown Dependencies and British Overseas Territories."
It does NOT say ILR. I guess Tier 1 (General) migrant is 'Leave to enter and remain'

http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/who_can_re ... _vote.aspx

Regards,
Gem

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Re: Voting Rights - Tier 1 visa holder from commonweath coun

Post by aruni4470 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:32 am

dilip_gem wrote:Can Tier 1 (General) visa holder from Commonwealth Country vote in the General local elections? I wanted to register in the voter list and found this useful information. Please clarify whether a person on Tier 1 Visa vote in the elections? The site says that "To qualify, Commonwealth citizens must be resident in the UK and either have leave to remain in the UK or not require such leave. The definition of a 'Commonwealth citizen' includes citizens of British Crown Dependencies and British Overseas Territories."
It does NOT say ILR. I guess Tier 1 (General) migrant is 'Leave to enter and remain'

Yes you can register to vote and are eligible to vote when you are from a common wealth country

Regards,
Gem

dilip_gem

Post by dilip_gem » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:06 am

?????

aruni4470 wrote:
dilip_gem wrote:Can Tier 1 (General) visa holder from Commonwealth Country vote in the General local elections? I wanted to register in the voter list and found this useful information. Please clarify whether a person on Tier 1 Visa vote in the elections? The site says that "To qualify, Commonwealth citizens must be resident in the UK and either have leave to remain in the UK or not require such leave. The definition of a 'Commonwealth citizen' includes citizens of British Crown Dependencies and British Overseas Territories."

Yes you can register to vote and are eligible to vote when you are from a common wealth country

Regards,
Gem

push

Post by push » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:11 am

dilip_gem wrote:?????

aruni4470 wrote:

Regards,
Gem
yes you can (although have been hearing that this is going to be changed in future). Get in touch with your council's electoral team - the will send you a form. If you are on electoral register it also helps in improving your credit score.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

dilip_gem

Post by dilip_gem » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:42 am

Thanks brother. I have already sent my form. I did this to improve my credit score as I do not have any credit history here. Do we get any confirmation from them? I mean Voting Card or something like that?

push wrote:
dilip_gem wrote:?????

aruni4470 wrote:

Regards,
Gem
yes you can (although have been hearing that this is going to be changed in future). Get in touch with your council's electoral team - the will send you a form. If you are on electoral register it also helps in improving your credit score.

push

Post by push » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:15 pm

No you dont. Apart from the Annual updation which takes place between Oct & Dec the revised registers are published every month. Send an email to your council's electoral team and they will confirm whether or not ur name has been added.

You receive Voting cards nearer the election dates.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer