ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

sham marriages

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

omeo_21

sham marriages

Post by omeo_21 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:12 am

Hi everyone,

i just read an article in the newspaper that was basically saying many people were marrying eastern european nationals to gain the right to stay in the UK and they were just going to registry offices and getting married without the COA because of a ruling in 2008.

so does that mean u dont need a COA anyomore, has it effectively been stopped, if someone is here no matter if its on a tourist visa, you can just get married and if u can prove its genuine then you'll be ok?? IS is that easy lol so whats the need of these marriage settlement visa's??

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Re: sham marriages

Post by ElenaW » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:22 am

omeo_21 wrote:Hi everyone,

i just read an article in the newspaper that was basically saying many people were marrying eastern european nationals to gain the right to stay in the UK and they were just going to registry offices and getting married without the COA because of a ruling in 2008.

so does that mean u dont need a COA anyomore, has it effectively been stopped, if someone is here no matter if its on a tourist visa, you can just get married and if u can prove its genuine then you'll be ok?? IS is that easy lol so whats the need of these marriage settlement visa's??
No applicants still need the Coa unless they're getting married in the church of england.

The COA is not an entry clearance or a further leave to remain document. It does not replace a settlement visa. So just because a COA is granted and the couple gets married, it does not mean that the applicant has any sort of legal status in the uk. This is under uk law. I'm not quite sure how it would work under eu law.
I tell it like it is.

omeo_21

Post by omeo_21 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:29 am

If they still need the COA how where people who didn't even speak the same language like they were saying in the article receive the COA from the home office, doesn't seem to make sense? and if the courts said it was against human rights to have to prove a marriage then why has the home office not removed the COA??

they have no legal status in the UK but they still are able to remain in the UK, they are not forced to remove, but im sure the home office would make it very difficult to get any sort of legal status

mykebolton
Newly Registered

EU LAW/UK LAW

Post by mykebolton » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:30 am

Hi..........I will like to clarify here that EU law is relatively complex than UK Immigration law.....Illegal immigrants in the UK can get married in the church of england to an EU national and apply to the home office for confirmation of residence known as residence card -valid for 5years in other to be qualified for indefinate leave to remain...well,this is a short corner for those with no legal status in the UK but they are still obliged to prove to the HO that the marriage is genuine and not of convenience......In contrary,immigrant in the UK even with no legal status have now been exploiting the recently decided case of Chikwamba VS Secratary of states. by the house of lords to gain some form of leave -by getting married to british nationals in the church of england thus establishing a family life - Article 8..........This is a loop hole under the current Certificate of Approval requirements which i personally dont believe its right anyway,for people to seek permission before getting married....what should matter is home office carrying out thorough checks to confirm genuity of a marriage before any form of grants.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:41 am

omeo_21 wrote:If they still need the COA how where people who didn't even speak the same language like they were saying in the article receive the COA from the home office, doesn't seem to make sense? and if the courts said it was against human rights to have to prove a marriage then why has the home office not removed the COA??

they have no legal status in the UK but they still are able to remain in the UK, they are not forced to remove, but im sure the home office would make it very difficult to get any sort of legal status
I guess they approved the Certificates of approval simply because they don't give status so why would it matter if such people were allowed to marry?

I agree with you, I think the COA is useless. It's just a nice way for UKBA to keep tabs on overstayers to go arrest them on their wedding day.
I tell it like it is.

jude

Post by jude » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:58 am

omeo_21
You was be really ignorance to asked that question . Do you need to speak the same langauge to fall inlove with someone?

If they still need the COA how where people who didn't even speak the same language like they were saying in the article receive the COA from the home office, doesn't seem to make sense? and if the courts said it was against human rights to have to prove a marriage then why has the home office not removed the COA??

they have no legal status in the UK but they still are able to remain in the UK, they are not forced to remove, but im sure the home office would make it very difficult to get any sort of legal status[/quote]
hallo

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:48 pm

No you don't need to speak a common language to fall in love, in fact you can fall in love even without talking for example two mutes falling in love or for example I fall in love almost everyday on the underground with different women who I never happen to speak with but......for getting married, you need to speak a common language.

We don't live in a romantic novel or rubbish unfortunately, this is real life and Home Office would like to see real things happening between the couple if they are to take a marriag as genuine.

The COA, as far as I understand was introduced to stop illegal residents from getting married because once married, they start singing about family ties, family union, human rights bla bla bla and it becomes almost impossible to remove them.

It doesn't stop them from getting married though for example they can go back home ( or to some other country for that matter ), get married and then come back legally but thats a longer and more difficult route hence they go for shortcuts.

No surprise it pays back when the UKBA guys come to the wedding uninvited.
“Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.â€

salop22
Newly Registered

Post by salop22 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:24 pm

This sham things really pissing me of ive been with my gf from hungary for four yrs here in the uk legally.. and we looking to get married soon i might as well go to her home country and get married .. it will be easier what do u guys sujest!!!??????

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:29 pm

inwarsaw wrote:No you don't need to speak a common language to fall in love, in fact you can fall in love even without talking for example two mutes falling in love or for example I fall in love almost everyday on the underground with different women who I never happen to speak with but......for getting married, you need to speak a common language.
Are you sure that's love? Or is that just finding someone hot? Two mutes can communicate in sign language!
The COA, as far as I understand was introduced to stop illegal residents from getting married because once married, they start singing about family ties, family union, human rights bla bla bla and it becomes almost impossible to remove them.
But people haven't been able to switch from visitor status to spousal visa since 2003, so COAs are useless!
No surprise it pays back when the UKBA guys come to the wedding uninvited.
How very true. Also, it used to generate a lot of money back when it cost like £300 to apply. [/quote]
I tell it like it is.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:32 pm

salop22 wrote:This sham things really pissing me of ive been with my gf from hungary for four yrs here in the uk legally.. and we looking to get married soon i might as well go to her home country and get married .. it will be easier what do u guys sujest!!!??????
If you've been here legally and are willing to wait four weeks to get the approval then you should get a COA. COA is not something difficult to obtain that requires much proof. If you have a legal status here then ukba will obviously not ruin your wedding and come to arrest you. Also it's free. So if you're both already here it's probably cheaper and easier to get the COA.
I tell it like it is.

salop22
Newly Registered

Post by salop22 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:44 pm

yeh im her legally doing my degree at the moment but me and my gf we dont live together she lives with her dad..so u guys sujest go back to her home country or do it here ?? which is best??

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:58 pm

salop22 wrote:yeh im her legally doing my degree at the moment but me and my gf we dont live together she lives with her dad..so u guys sujest go back to her home country or do it here ?? which is best??
There is no requirement where you have to be living together. Like I said, it's just permission to marry. The deciscion should be based on how much money you want to spend and where you want the location of your wedding to be. There is no "best" it's just a preference. Keep in mind that if you have a big wedding, it will be very costly in the uk. I personally like sunshine and beaches so I had mine in the caribbean.
I tell it like it is.

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:25 pm

boulevardofbrokendreams wrote:
Are you sure that's love? Or is that just finding someone hot? Two mutes can communicate in sign language!
Of course its not love, I was just being a bit sarcastic.

By the way, sign language is also a language :)

salop22
Newly Registered

Post by salop22 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:43 pm

i see ..lol i was hinking of the caribbean myself thats where im from but my gf shes very traditional so i agreed to do it in her country when im off school term :-) and come back to the uk and continue my studies...whats going to happen to my student visa??

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:47 pm

inwarsaw wrote:
boulevardofbrokendreams wrote:
Of course its not love, I was just being a bit sarcastic.

By the way, sign language is also a language :)
hehe :P sorry I'm bad with online sarcasm. I know sign language is a language, that's exactly my point :D
I tell it like it is.

salop22
Newly Registered

Post by salop22 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:02 pm

i personally think its better to get mrried outside the uk less hassle after all of this is going on !!!!!

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:11 pm

salop22 wrote:i see ..lol i was hinking of the caribbean myself thats where im from but my gf shes very traditional so i agreed to do it in her country when im off school term :-) and come back to the uk and continue my studies...whats going to happen to my student visa??
Nothing happens to your student visa, you will still hold your student visa status. I got married while on a student visa and I'm still studying. I never switched to FLR(M) b/c I want to move back to the states when I'm finished. Will you go back to the caribbean with your wife after your studies or are you planning to make uk your new home? If the latter, then if you're over 21 you should probably switch to flr(m). You will still be allowed to study.
I tell it like it is.

salop22
Newly Registered

Post by salop22 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:45 pm

i just wanna get my indefinate leave while studying so i can move freely to look for jobs as what im studying ill make more money in big countries like America, Uk , Austrailia, Canada.... whats FLRM?? and what do i need to apply for it ???

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:53 pm

salop22 wrote:i just wanna get my indefinate leave while studying so i can move freely to look for jobs as what im studying ill make more money in big countries like America, Uk , Austrailia, Canada.... whats FLRM?? and what do i need to apply for it ???
You should rather open a new thread, I wouldn't put querries about my coming marriage under the thread called 'Sham Marriages'

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:56 pm

inwarsaw wrote:
salop22 wrote:i just wanna get my indefinate leave while studying so i can move freely to look for jobs as what im studying ill make more money in big countries like America, Uk , Austrailia, Canada.... whats FLRM?? and what do i need to apply for it ???
You should rather open a new thread, I wouldn't put querries about my coming marriage under the thread called 'Sham Marriages'
Answered here http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=49743

FLR is UK rules, I thought we'd pointed u to EEA rules which apply to ur situation?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:05 pm

salop22 wrote:This sham things really pissing me of ive been with my gf from hungary for four yrs here in the uk legally.. and we looking to get married soon i might as well go to her home country and get married .. it will be easier what do u guys sujest!!!??????
Here you said your girl-friend is Hungarian but in the other thread, the one which Wanderer referred, you have mentioned she is Polish.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:09 pm

inwarsaw wrote:
Here you said your girl-friend is Hungarian but in the other thread, the one which Wanderer referred, you have mentioned she is Polish.
Hmm, hope we are not being dicked around with...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:26 pm

Damn I guess I gotta start readin peoples' usernames. I ended up continuously answering his repititive questions.
I tell it like it is.

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:29 pm

boulevardofbrokendreams wrote:Damn I guess I gotta start readin peoples' usernames. I ended up continuously answering his repititive questions.
Thats what most of us do. I guess I noticed it because I am watching too much of the UK border force :)

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:35 pm

inwarsaw wrote:
boulevardofbrokendreams wrote:Damn I guess I gotta start readin peoples' usernames. I ended up continuously answering his repititive questions.
Thats what most of us do. I guess I noticed it because I am watching too much of the UK border force :)
oh hell yeah, good to know that I'm not the only one obsessed. :shock:
I tell it like it is.