ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

National Insurance Number for 2010 Students?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

arnomarga
Mood:

National Insurance Number for 2010 Students?

Post by arnomarga » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:45 pm

Hello,

I heard that from Jan-2010 they are not going to issue National Insurance No for those students whose visa has been processed this month or later dates?

Is this true?

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:08 pm

I hope its true.
“Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.â€

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:21 pm

As a student, I honestly don't understand how a full time student can get decent marks and have a job workin 20 hours/week. It's just exhausting. what's the point of going to uni if you're just gonna get shit marks and not get the better job you wanted in the first place.

I have heard of rumors that in 2010 students won't be allowed to work. It may be true.
I tell it like it is.

John

Post by John » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:02 pm

As far as I am aware, the current Government has no plans to stop issuing NI numbers to Tier 4 visa holders.

However, we are approaching a General Election and if there is a change of Government, it is possible that things might start to get a lot tougher.

But if there is a change, it would not particularly affect NI numbers. After all it has never been the case that an NI number, by itself, has given the right to work. So a change would tend to be to visa conditions.
John

mughalshakir
Newly Registered

Re: National Insurance Number for 2010 Students?

Post by mughalshakir » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:33 pm

ths ridicules .... What a hell they doing? ......... Seems they don’t need cheap, hard, punctual, reliable, n finally permanent workers any more now its time guys Britain is trying to stands on its own legs. Lolzzzzzz

sorcer
Newly Registered

Post by sorcer » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:25 pm

There were some disputes within MAC about this but currently this is only rumors.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:55 pm

mughalshakir wrote:ths ridicules .... What a hell they doing? ......... Seems they don’t need cheap, hard, punctual, reliable, n finally permanent workers any more now its time guys Britain is trying to stands on its own legs. Lolzzzzzz
Resists correcting awful grammar......

Are u a student by any chance?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:26 pm

Wanderer wrote:
mughalshakir wrote:ths ridicules .... What a hell they doing? ......... Seems they don’t need cheap, hard, punctual, reliable, n finally permanent workers any more now its time guys Britain is trying to stands on its own legs. Lolzzzzzz

Man has a point Mr. Wanderer, who cares abt the damn grammar.

focusatme
Newly Registered

Post by focusatme » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:00 pm

i dont think they ever gonna stop issuing N.I No to people on Teir4, thats in Gov't benifits! How can they stop student workin 20hrs/week ,eventhough some courses just based on internships-practical work- Obvously, if u work with any orgnization as an internee u get paid and when u get paid u need N.I number.
i think they should issue N.I numbers to all illegals aswell to stop balck market , money londering and boost up Uk's economy!
:D

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:10 pm

Wanderer wrote:

haha thats Wanderer !

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:11 pm

focusatme wrote:i dont think they ever gonna stop issuing N.I No to people on Teir4, thats in Gov't benifits! How can they stop student workin 20hrs/week ,eventhough some courses just based on internships-practical work- Obvously, if u work with any orgnization as an internee u get paid and when u get paid u need N.I number.
i think they should issue N.I numbers to all illegals aswell to stop balck market , money londering and boost up Uk's economy!
:D
Just curious, what about those people who are allowed to work full tme ( British and EU citizens for example ) and are unemployed ??

Dr Logic
BANNED

Post by Dr Logic » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:42 pm

arnomarga wrote:Hello,

I heard that from Jan-2010 they are not going to issue National Insurance No for those students whose visa has been processed this month or later dates?

Is this true?

Dont worry :D . Jan 2010 is already gone. Now its Feb 2010. They did not change it in Jan 2010 but not sure about Feb 2010 to ............ :idea: :arrow: :?:

If you are in the UK with student immigration permission, check if your passport sticker (entry clearance or residence permit) or identity card says "Restricted work, p/t term time, f/t vacations" or "Restricted work in term-time" or "Work (and any changes) must be authorised" or "Able to work as authorised by the Secretary of State". If either your passport sticker or identity card says any of these things, you are allowed to work during your studies.

If your passport sticker or identity card says "No work", you must not work in the UK. This would be a breach of your immigration conditions, which is a criminal offence. If you are in the UK and you have entry clearance (a visa) that makes it clear you are here as a student but you have a "no work" condition, you can make an immigration application to change your condition to allow you to work. You should talk to your international student adviser about how to make such an application and how much it will cost. It is much cheaper and easier to ask for permission to work when you make your entry clearance application and to check your passport sticker before you travel to the UK.

If you are in the UK as a student visitor, you cannot change your immigration conditions in the UK to allow you to work. You would have to return to the country where you usually live and make an entry clearance application as a student, and you would have to meet all the requirements of the student Immigration Rules.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/files/pdf/work ... stamps.pdf
Real Eyes Realize Real Lies....

agonabazi
Newly Registered

Post by agonabazi » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:13 am

inwarsaw wrote:I hope its true.
Why do u hope its true? Is it gonna change something for u if people who come here to study won't be able to work and get themselves some extra money for expensive things like cigarettes, phones, tube and stuff like that. be more positive man. get a life.

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:10 pm

agonabazi wrote:
Why do u hope its true? Is it gonna change something for u if people who come here to study won't be able to work and get themselves some extra money for expensive things like cigarettes, phones, tube and stuff like that. be more positive man. get a life.
I was talking about the misuse of NI number by working full time when they are allowed to work part time only. Besides, students are supposed to have money for all their study and private needs when they are coming to UK. After all, thats what they tell the ECO that they have enough money for everything. No ?

agonabazi
Newly Registered

Post by agonabazi » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:27 pm

inwarsaw wrote:
agonabazi wrote:
I was talking about the misuse of NI number by working full time when they are allowed to work part time only. Besides, students are supposed to have money for all their study and private needs when they are coming to UK. After all, thats what they tell the ECO that they have enough money for everything. No ?
yes but there are some other rules in place for that. Genuine colleges reporting students who dont go to classes regulary, No?. Stopping NI number for students is not fair at all, because there are people who have enough money only to study, travel and eat and need to work to have some little 'luxuries' they fancy. Tell me if i'm wrong.

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:25 am

agonabazi wrote:
inwarsaw wrote:
agonabazi wrote:
yes but there are some other rules in place for that. Genuine colleges reporting students who dont go to classes regulary, No?. Stopping NI number for students is not fair at all, because there are people who have enough money only to study, travel and eat and need to work to have some little 'luxuries' they fancy. Tell me if i'm wrong.
I understand your point. I was compelled to work for 'luxuries' as you mentioned when I was on student visa in UK but I would still suggest against the NI number for students because the abuse is too much.

Genuine colleges probably do report missing students to Home Office but what about the thousands of bogus students who attend bogus colleges ? Look at this Univisa case for example or the Cambridge College.

John

Post by John » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:06 pm

Genuine colleges probably do report missing students to Home Office but what about the thousands of bogus students who attend bogus colleges ?
Do you appreciate how closely UKBA now monitor this? Schools, colleges and universities who fail to report non-attending students, as required, are now highly likely to lose their Tier 4 Sponsor Licence, which would be disastrous to them.

All this is now a lot tighter than it was even just a couple of years ago.
John

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:06 pm

John wrote:
Genuine colleges probably do report missing students to Home Office but what about the thousands of bogus students who attend bogus colleges ?
Do you appreciate how closely UKBA now monitor this? Schools, colleges and universities who fail to report non-attending students, as required, are now highly likely to lose their Tier 4 Sponsor Licence, which would be disastrous to them.

Its great if UKBA is closely monitoring colleges and universities now to look out for any abuse. Afterall, its their job.

But I don't think its as good as it should be for example if they had to close down the visa section in India. Had those thousands of people applying for student visa knew they would not be allowed to work at all, they would have thought twice before applying for student visa.

agonabazi
Newly Registered

Post by agonabazi » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:56 pm

inwarsaw wrote:
John wrote:

Its great if UKBA is closely monitoring colleges and universities now to look out for any abuse. Afterall, its their job.

But I don't think its as good as it should be for example if they had to close down the visa section in India. Had those thousands of people applying for student visa knew they would not be allowed to work at all, they would have thought twice before applying for student visa.
I don't think those students who do not intend to study would think twice.

1. their main aim is to enter the UK and work illegally peeling potatoes at some Indian Fish&Chips shop or some place like that.
2. Someone who intends to come to come to UK to work in student visa and not to study doesnt come to work 20 hours a week, so they just will want to come and set the foot inside and work only.

So NI numbers wouldnt make a difference as people who intend to work 20hrs a week to support their expenses will not take jobs of those people who work full time. they just do temporary jobs so it doesnt make a difference to the general unemployment.

oilly

Post by oilly » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:36 am

who care???

I have seen many students from Asian countries spent more than 40 hours a week in the oriental or international food shop already, those guys do not have NI and they got cash in hand.
The bogus students do not care about having NI number at all.

John

Post by John » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:54 am

I have seen many students from Asian countries spent more than 40 hours a week in the oriental or international food shop already
Hmmm ...... already more than 3000 employers have found out the hard, expensive way that employing illegal workers is very painful. Civil Penalties are usually £5000 per illegal worker, and even higher on the 2nd or subsequent occasions.
John

oilly

Post by oilly » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:14 pm

John wrote:
I have seen many students from Asian countries spent more than 40 hours a week in the oriental or international food shop already
Hmmm ...... already more than 3000 employers have found out the hard, expensive way that employing illegal workers is very painful. Civil Penalties are usually £5000 per illegal worker, and even higher on the 2nd or subsequent occasions.
but they are still doing. even if they know that they will be fined but they are still doing, even today

John

Post by John » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:38 pm

Yes of course they are, but because UKBA find the issuing of such Penalty Notices extremely profitable ... far in excess of the cost of running the teams that do the raids ..... UKBA is putting more and more such teams together .... making it increasingly likely that employers with illegal workers will get caught.
John

oilly

Post by oilly » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:19 am

John wrote:Yes of course they are, but because UKBA find the issuing of such Penalty Notices extremely profitable ... far in excess of the cost of running the teams that do the raids ..... UKBA is putting more and more such teams together .... making it increasingly likely that employers with illegal workers will get caught.
I do not believe that they will be affected that much

the most famous Bangladesh restaurant in the city where i live has been caught by home office 3 times in 2 years, they were fined but their business still running and still hiring bogus staff except their chef who is under tier 2.

bogus staff I mean
1. people who aren't allowed to work
2. students who work more than 20 hours/week or without NI

John

Post by John » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:25 am

students who work more than 20 hours/week or without NI
Just to make it clear, it is not the case that, by itself, not having an NI number makes the person ineligible to work. And also the reverse, just because someone has an NI number does not give them the automatic right to work.

So if someone, with the right to work, newly arrives in the UK, they can work, even before they get issued with a NI number.
John