ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What next??

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

crapstone
Newly Registered

What next??

Post by crapstone » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:45 pm

Ok so my husband (non EEA) and I (EEA) are planning to move to the UK. He finally got his eea family permit. We plan to look for jobs as soon as we get there.
I have a 6 month old daughter born in the states. What do I need to do to register her? How will I be able to get deductions in my taxes for her? How do I register her with a GP? What do I need to do this?
How do my husband and I obtain an NI number?

Does my husband need to show anything apart from his family permit when looking for a job? Do I have to get a job first before he does? I know we both have to apply for EEA1 and EEA2 permits, but we of course have to get jobs first. How do we get a GP? Will we qualify to be able to use the hospital facilities if our baby gets sick?

Sorry for such basic questions, but I am new in the UK so I have no idea what to do next. In the states it is more straight forward, actually really easy to settle down.
Thanks in advance for any help and advice...

johnsienk
BANNED

Post by johnsienk » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:58 pm

<original post deleted>
Last edited by johnsienk on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:44 pm

johnsienk wrote:You want to move to UK from the States? Are you insane?

Are you aware that the average living space here is 66 square meters? (compared to over 200 meters in North America). Are you aware you need to work roughly double the number of years here to buy a house or flat of the average size, than in the States? (in terms of average annual income). Do you know you will probably never own a detached house with a garden? (garden as defined by Americans, i.e. not a patch of grass).

I could go on forever, but I will just say: don't do it. Seriously.
10 days pa paid vacation time in USA, 30 in UK, more in EU.

Liable to get shot or massacred in school or mall.

No NHS.

Why the impulse to own a house?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

lifeart

Post by lifeart » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:38 pm

I have an EU passport (will never, ever give it up) and I live in the US.
The US is great for people with a lot of money, conversely, not so hot for people that actually work ordinary jobs.
As soon as I can I will move back to the EU....

crapstone
Newly Registered

Post by crapstone » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:05 am

Johnsienk, obviously you watch a lot of tv and believe it- I just had my daughter via c section about 5.5 months ago, and had to have emergency surgery after that, and was in hospital for about 3 days for that surgery. Guess how much my portion of the hospital bill is- and did I mention I have health insurance. And also do not forget all my pre-natal Dr visits- I owe over $30,000. Did I mention I do have health insurance?? So I know I will be paying this for another 15 yrs.

Do you know how much it costs to get a 4 yr degree? Over $30,000, to go to a decent public or private school. A masters degree costs about the same..
We live in a suburb of Chicago, and even we cannot afford a detached house with a nice big backyard, of course unless we buy a house about 40 miles outside of the city. We both have masters degrees, and make a pretty good living.
Yes, there are many people that live very well, in those nice huge houses that you see on TV. But 60% of the population live in regular small townhomes, or small old houses passed down to them, or simply in small regular houses, mostly with no backyards.

Yes, states like TX have humongous houses that feel like they are free coz of how cheap they are. But do you know how many people are abandoning those nice big houses because the illusion has finally come to an end- it is time to pay up, and they realise they do not have the money to afford it.
So, as lifeart has correctly said, as an immigrant, I do have an option to leave, and I take it. Do you know how easy it is to be laid off here- to the employers, you are just a number. A dollar sign. I lived in Ireland for a few years, and even though the country is not as advanced as say the UK or US, I did feel the sense of being a person working for a company, not a dollar sign.

Wanderer is also right, 10 days vacation, vs 30 days in the UK. 6 Wks maternity leave in the states, vs 6 months or more in the UK and the rest of europe. And btw they can decide to fire you/lay you off during your maternity leave, while in europe you are protected against it. I could go on and on and on as to why my human life is more important than what Hollywood projects the life in the states to be.
Also, yes, we get paid higher here, but guess where a quarter your salary goes- healthcare bills!! So it all balances out to the same thing. Altho i will admit, northern England pays pittance! I dont know how people afford to live there.

My brother lives in England and works as a dentist, came to visit us in the states over the summer for the first time, and was floored by the place. He said he couldnt understand why we live here!!

And yes, chicago had the highest gun deaths in the whole of the USA last year. Here I have a higher chance of dying of a gun shot in a mall, at the office, on the street, really as much as in any war zone (ok, not as bad, but close!).

So yes, America has its positives. I will admit. But the negatives sometimes outweigh the positives, esp when it comes to raising a family and wanting to live life. Here we work for 40 hours a week, while in most of europe it is 37.5. I remember in my last job, every time I needed to take 3 or more days of my vacation in a row, my boss always called me in to ask why. Taking a whole week's vacation is almost unheard of, and some companies even discourage it. I remember when I was in Ireland, my boss always wanted to know why I do not take 2 wks vacation at a time. It is because I am programmed to only take a day or two at a time! So we choose to leave!! It is kind of a no brainer. And oh yes, the housing is much larger, but do you know how much it will cost to fill out that space with furniture, and to heat and cool that huge house in our extreme summers and winters? My uncle owns a beautiful 5 b/room house and spends $600 or more each month in the winter to warm it up..... I don't care who you are, that is way too much money to be shelling out each month for heat.... We haven't factored in the high property taxes in the state of Illinois, that is either paid monthly, or yearly...and all the other bills of course.
Lifeart is right, the rich really really have it good. If you have a lot of money, this is the place for you. Not europe. But the common working man, who is like 70% of the population, is better off being in europe where the european laws protect the common worker... trust me on this! I have experience living in both continents! And I have loads and loads of relatives and friends I grew up with that live here, that are miserable because of the stress and scared everyday of losing their jobs, because when you do, some employers do not even pay for your severance, you lose your healthcare benefits etc... like I said, I could go on and on about why we choose to leave. Being laid off here is very different from being laid off in europe.

But, this is just my opinion, there are still loads of people that live here that could not imagine themselves anywhere else....

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:56 am

crapstone wrote:Johnsienk, obviously you watch a lot of tv and believe it- I just had my daughter via c section about 5.5 months ago, and had to have emergency surgery after that, and was in hospital for about 3 days for that surgery. Guess how much my portion of the hospital bill is- and did I mention I have health insurance. And also do not forget all my pre-natal Dr visits- I owe over $30,000. Did I mention I do have health insurance?? So I know I will be paying this for another 15 yrs.

Do you know how much it costs to get a 4 yr degree? Over $30,000, to go to a decent public or private school. A masters degree costs about the same..
We live in a suburb of Chicago, and even we cannot afford a detached house with a nice big backyard, of course unless we buy a house about 40 miles outside of the city. We both have masters degrees, and make a pretty good living.
Yes, there are many people that live very well, in those nice huge houses that you see on TV. But 60% of the population live in regular small townhomes, or small old houses passed down to them, or simply in small regular houses, mostly with no backyards.

Yes, states like TX have humongous houses that feel like they are free coz of how cheap they are. But do you know how many people are abandoning those nice big houses because the illusion has finally come to an end- it is time to pay up, and they realise they do not have the money to afford it.
So, as lifeart has correctly said, as an immigrant, I do have an option to leave, and I take it. Do you know how easy it is to be laid off here- to the employers, you are just a number. A dollar sign. I lived in Ireland for a few years, and even though the country is not as advanced as say the UK or US, I did feel the sense of being a person working for a company, not a dollar sign.

Wanderer is also right, 10 days vacation, vs 30 days in the UK. 6 Wks maternity leave in the states, vs 6 months or more in the UK and the rest of europe. And btw they can decide to fire you/lay you off during your maternity leave, while in europe you are protected against it. I could go on and on and on as to why my human life is more important than what Hollywood projects the life in the states to be.
Also, yes, we get paid higher here, but guess where a quarter your salary goes- healthcare bills!! So it all balances out to the same thing. Altho i will admit, northern England pays pittance! I dont know how people afford to live there.

My brother lives in England and works as a dentist, came to visit us in the states over the summer for the first time, and was floored by the place. He said he couldnt understand why we live here!!

And yes, chicago had the highest gun deaths in the whole of the USA last year. Here I have a higher chance of dying of a gun shot in a mall, at the office, on the street, really as much as in any war zone (ok, not as bad, but close!).

So yes, America has its positives. I will admit. But the negatives sometimes outweigh the positives, esp when it comes to raising a family and wanting to live life. Here we work for 40 hours a week, while in most of europe it is 37.5. I remember in my last job, every time I needed to take 3 or more days of my vacation in a row, my boss always called me in to ask why. Taking a whole week's vacation is almost unheard of, and some companies even discourage it. I remember when I was in Ireland, my boss always wanted to know why I do not take 2 wks vacation at a time. It is because I am programmed to only take a day or two at a time! So we choose to leave!! It is kind of a no brainer. And oh yes, the housing is much larger, but do you know how much it will cost to fill out that space with furniture, and to heat and cool that huge house in our extreme summers and winters? My uncle owns a beautiful 5 b/room house and spends $600 or more each month in the winter to warm it up..... I don't care who you are, that is way too much money to be shelling out each month for heat.... We haven't factored in the high property taxes in the state of Illinois, that is either paid monthly, or yearly...and all the other bills of course.
Lifeart is right, the rich really really have it good. If you have a lot of money, this is the place for you. Not europe. But the common working man, who is like 70% of the population, is better off being in europe where the european laws protect the common worker... trust me on this! I have experience living in both continents! And I have loads and loads of relatives and friends I grew up with that live here, that are miserable because of the stress and scared everyday of losing their jobs, because when you do, some employers do not even pay for your severance, you lose your healthcare benefits etc... like I said, I could go on and on about why we choose to leave. Being laid off here is very different from being laid off in europe.

But, this is just my opinion, there are still loads of people that live here that could not imagine themselves anywhere else....
Long Live Capitalism !
“Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.â€

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: What next??

Post by 86ti » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:22 am

crapstone wrote:I have a 6 month old daughter born in the states. What do I need to do to register her?
Not sure what you mean here as there is no formal registration needed. Depending on her nationality you can apply for a residence certificate or residence card if you want.
crapstone wrote:How will I be able to get deductions in my taxes for her? How do I register her with a GP? What do I need to do this?
How do my husband and I obtain an NI number?
Tax credits: http://taxcredits.hmrc.gov.uk/HomeNew.aspx
GP: Just take her to the GP. They may want to check address and residence status.
NI: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAnd ... G_10014073
crapstone wrote:Does my husband need to show anything apart from his family permit when looking for a job? Do I have to get a job first before he does? I know we both have to apply for EEA1 and EEA2 permits, but we of course have to get jobs first. How do we get a GP? Will we qualify to be able to use the hospital facilities if our baby gets sick?
How do you intend to exercise your treaty rights? If self-sufficient you will have to purchase comprehensive sickness insurance for all of you. To qualify as a worker you would have to actively search for jobs, i.e. register your unemployment and keep any evidence of your job hunting. And no, you do not have to apply for anything and certainly not for 'permits' (remember your rights orignate from being an EEA national and being the direct family member of an EEA national). For practical reasons, however, it is better for your husband to apply for the residence card. NHS is open to anyone who is ordinarily resident in the UK. It is HO that will require private health cover if the EEA national is in the self-sufficiency category.

crapstone
Newly Registered

Post by crapstone » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:54 pm

Thanks 86ti. We will be coming to exercise our treaty rights to work. So we will basically be in the 'looking for work' category.
I was wondering what you meant when you said register my unemployment (To qualify as a worker you would have to actively search for jobs, i.e. register your unemployment and keep any evidence of your job hunting)
Where would I register this? Also, what form should my husband use to apply for a residence permit? I had assumed this is the eea2 form? Thanks for your help, as usual.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:24 am

crapstone wrote:Also, what form should my husband use to apply for a residence permit? I had assumed this is the eea2 form?
It's indeed form EEA2. Please don't call it a residence permit - that is quite wrong.

It is not a permit of any kind. No permission must be sought nor is required, in order to exercise the rights which a non-EEA national already holds, by virtue of his relationship with an EEA national and his or her activities in the UK.

It's a Residence Card. Actually, it's a "Residence card of a family member of a Union citizen", but Residence Card will do. Just not Residence Permit! Please! ;)
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:32 am

crapstone wrote:I was wondering what you meant when you said register my unemployment (To qualify as a worker you would have to actively search for jobs, i.e. register your unemployment and keep any evidence of your job hunting)
Where would I register this?
At your local Jobcentre. You can also try to sign up with recruitment agencies. Don't know if they are any good but may be useful for evidence gathering.

crapstone
Newly Registered

Post by crapstone » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:33 am

Thanks Benifa for the correction- I am slowly getting a hang of all the correct 'terms':)
Thanks 86ti for the info.