ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indian passport application in london by Post

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

xyz123

Indian passport application in london by Post

Post by xyz123 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi

I need a new passport as my old one has very few pages remaining. I was hoping to apply for a new passport by post.

On the high commission website, it says that it takes 2-3 weeks for postal application.

Does anyone have experience of doing this? Does it really take only 2-3 weeks and is it reliable (i will send it by courier and will send special delivery envelope for return delivery).

Thanks a lot
XYZ

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:12 am

Does the Indian Embassy, like the UKBA, guarantee that in case of the passport being lost or stolen in the post, they will sort out issues? I do know that the UKBA guarantees the application if sent by Royal Mail Special Delivery and hence many apply by post for various visas.

However, in case of the Indian Embassy and a document as important as your passport, there is no point in taking such a big risk. Even if others have had a good experience there is nothing guranteeing you will not have any issues. We all know the hassles of losing a passport and getting help from the Indian Embassy. Even the best courier companies can misplace or lose parcels and it adds to squat whether you insure your parcel or not. In the end, if anything does go wrong, you will have a lot of running to do and hence its best to just take a holiday and submit it in person.

Though I cannot help you on your question, just a word of caution towards safeguarding your passport/s. I did the same as the last thing I wanted was the tension of waiting for the passport to come home after renewal.

Cheers
KP

keshgrover
Member of Standing

Post by keshgrover » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:56 pm

kenfrapin wrote:Does the Indian Embassy, like the UKBA, guarantee that in case of the passport being lost or stolen in the post, they will sort out issues? I do know that the UKBA guarantees the application if sent by Royal Mail Special Delivery and hence many apply by post for various visas.

However, in case of the Indian Embassy and a document as important as your passport, there is no point in taking such a big risk. Even if others have had a good experience there is nothing guranteeing you will not have any issues. We all know the hassles of losing a passport and getting help from the Indian Embassy. Even the best courier companies can misplace or lose parcels and it adds to squat whether you insure your parcel or not. In the end, if anything does go wrong, you will have a lot of running to do and hence its best to just take a holiday and submit it in person.

Though I cannot help you on your question, just a word of caution towards safeguarding your passport/s. I did the same as the last thing I wanted was the tension of waiting for the passport to come home after renewal.

Cheers
KP
Theere is no guarantee of HCI London. They might turn around tomorrow and say they never had your application. You better off going in person. It does help a bit.
KESH