ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Success @ PEO B'ham - SET(M)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MrCheeks147
Newly Registered

ILR Success @ PEO B'ham - SET(M)

Post by MrCheeks147 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:22 pm

Hello all,

Just wanted to say I was successful today @ getting my ILR via SET(M); It's been quite a journey and even though I didn't seem to ask much questions on the forum - I have always been here and always reading other peoples post on their experience which I found very helpful..Many thanks to all!!!!

I had loads of documents from letter from employer, 12months payslip, council tax (in my name only as my wife is currently studying full-time), bank statements from the last 2yrs 4 both of us, bills (electricity, gas and water) from the last 2yrs, letters from Council re voters registers 4 both, passports, Life in the UK test certificate; 1passport photo for wife, 2 for me and other miscellaneous documents just in case they wanted more..

Anyway, arrived @ the PEO @ 11.44am for a 12.30pm appointment with my Wife - She was reluctant to come as she highlighted that she was not really required to be there by the way - and we were frisked but not the typical airport-styled security and advised to take a seat and wait for our number to be called..

10-12mins after we were called to meet with the case worker whom I found to be very professional and polite asking for 6 documents; wasn't really sure which one I wanted him to have but gave him loads of paper all neatly filed according to the year. He selected the ones he wanted and ticked it off his checklist.

He never for once ask for wage slip, recent bank statement - infact he only asked for one 2008 bank statement for me & my wife (account in separate names) and all the 'other' docs he took were bills – water, electricity and Gas. He only picked 6 out of the whole lot I had and then as for me to re-sign my signature on the form and asked for the photographs and then said I should pay @ the other counter and that he was satisfy with what he has seen.

My wife mentioned later that the case worker seemed to looking @ both of us whilst he was also looking @ our docs - didn't see that though - maybe he was looking for some body chemistry btw us...8)

We were then told to come back after 90mins to collect the passports and other documents.

The only down-side was I got passport back @ 3.35pm.

All-in-all, it was a pleasant experience with me waking up @ 6am and anxious of what the day would bring today, but alas it has been great!!!!... :D :)

Next step for me now would be to naturalise – I could do that tomorrow as I have lived here since 2003 on student visas till I got spouse visa in 2008 but would wait awhile to get my ‘head’ together..

Many thanks again to all of you on this forum that shared your experiences…..Ta
:D :D :D

Dr Logic
BANNED

Re: ILR Success @ PEO B'ham - SET(M)

Post by Dr Logic » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:51 pm

MrCheeks147 wrote:Hello all,

Just wanted to say I was successful today @ getting my ILR via SET(M); It's been quite a journey and even though I didn't seem to ask much questions on the forum - I have always been here and always reading other peoples post on their experience which I found very helpful..Many thanks to all!!!!

I had loads of documents from letter from employer, 12months payslip, council tax (in my name only as my wife is currently studying full-time), bank statements from the last 2yrs 4 both of us, bills (electricity, gas and water) from the last 2yrs, letters from Council re voters registers 4 both, passports, Life in the UK test certificate; 1passport photo for wife, 2 for me and other miscellaneous documents just in case they wanted more..

Anyway, arrived @ the PEO @ 11.44am for a 12.30pm appointment with my Wife - She was reluctant to come as she highlighted that she was not really required to be there by the way - and we were frisked but not the typical airport-styled security and advised to take a seat and wait for our number to be called..

10-12mins after we were called to meet with the case worker whom I found to be very professional and polite asking for 6 documents; wasn't really sure which one I wanted him to have but gave him loads of paper all neatly filed according to the year. He selected the ones he wanted and ticked it off his checklist.

He never for once ask for wage slip, recent bank statement - infact he only asked for one 2008 bank statement for me & my wife (account in separate names) and all the 'other' docs he took were bills – water, electricity and Gas. He only picked 6 out of the whole lot I had and then as for me to re-sign my signature on the form and asked for the photographs and then said I should pay @ the other counter and that he was satisfy with what he has seen.

My wife mentioned later that the case worker seemed to looking @ both of us whilst he was also looking @ our docs - didn't see that though - maybe he was looking for some body chemistry btw us...8)

We were then told to come back after 90mins to collect the passports and other documents.

The only down-side was I got passport back @ 3.35pm.

All-in-all, it was a pleasant experience with me waking up @ 6am and anxious of what the day would bring today, but alas it has been great!!!!... :D :)

Next step for me now would be to naturalise – I could do that tomorrow as I have lived here since 2003 on student visas till I got spouse visa in 2008 but would wait awhile to get my ‘head’ together..

Many thanks again to all of you on this forum that shared your experiences…..Ta
:D :D :D
Congratssssssssss.
Real Eyes Realize Real Lies....

kiranchinnu
Member of Standing

Post by kiranchinnu » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:13 pm

Congrats for getting ILR

veryacidic
Newly Registered

Post by veryacidic » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:22 pm

congrats mrcheeks on getting ur ilr.i know how u feel.been through the same journey,all the best.

Dr Logic
BANNED

Post by Dr Logic » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:49 pm

veryacidic wrote:congrats mrcheeks on getting ur ilr.i know how u feel.been through the same journey,all the best.

Hi Veryacidic,

Congratsss you too.
If you been through the same journey, Would you mind to share your experience?

Regards,

juliajules1979
- thin ice -

Post by juliajules1979 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Can I just ask how you obtained letters from Council re voters registers 4 both. As I thought that someone who is not a citizen cannot vote. My husband is Iranian and we live at my parents so do not have very many letters, I would like to obtain letters from the council.

Dr Logic
BANNED

Post by Dr Logic » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:15 pm

juliajules1979 wrote:Can I just ask how you obtained letters from Council re voters registers 4 both. As I thought that someone who is not a citizen cannot vote. My husband is Iranian and we live at my parents so do not have very many letters, I would like to obtain letters from the council.
-If you pay council tax than you can get council letter. If you are living at your mum's house than I guess council tax letters will be on your mum's name.
-Visit your local town hall ( voter registration office ) and register your names in voter list.
-If you husband is on spouse visa or on ILR he can register for vote.
-If you would like to obtain the letters from council you need to send them tenancy agreement ( should be on your / your husband name ). They will send you council tax letter.

Cheers,

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:21 pm

Dr Logic wrote: -If you husband is on spouse visa or on ILR he can register for vote.
This is incorrect. If the person in question is Iranian citizen - he cannot register for voting (with or without ILR!).

Quote from official City of Westminster website (same as any other council in UK has):
Can anyone register to vote in the City of Westminster?

No. You must be a British, Irish or Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of another European Union state and be resident in Westminster. [...] All applicants, whether through the annual process or rolling registration, are required to state their nationality.

MrCheeks147
Newly Registered

Post by MrCheeks147 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:52 pm

Well, I guess cos I am a commonwealth citizen that is the reason I got the letter.

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:58 pm

MrCheeks147 wrote:Well, I guess cos I am a commonwealth citizen that is the reason I got the letter.
Yep, but juliajules1979's husband isn't :wink:
She should've created her own thread though.

Dr Logic
BANNED

Post by Dr Logic » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:26 pm

wunder wrote:
Dr Logic wrote: -If you husband is on spouse visa or on ILR he can register for vote.
This is incorrect. If the person in question is Iranian citizen - he cannot register for voting (with or without ILR!).

Quote from official City of Westminster website (same as any other council in UK has):

No. You must be a British, Irish or Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of another European Union state and be resident in Westminster. [...] All applicants, whether through the annual process or rolling registration, are required to state their nationality.

DONT MAKE IS PERSONAL :shock:

Be in realy world. :lol:

You are again two times wrong here heheheh :D

1st time: The person in question is British citizen ( her husband is iranian, bear in mind)

2nd: Are you out of your mind? I'm in this country from last many years ( I m not british ) I'v voted when I was on following visas:

a) Student visa ( yes, registered for vote )
B) Work permit ( yes )
c) spouse visa ( yes )
d) now ILR ( yes )

Dr Logic
BANNED

Post by Dr Logic » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:30 pm

wunder wrote:

Her husband is from Iran ( not commonwealth citizen) if he is in uk on spouse visa or on Ilr than he is resident in uk he can vote without any problem.

Have a good look: http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/who_can_re ... _vote.aspx

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:36 pm

Dr Logic wrote:1st time: The person in question is British citizen ( her husband is iranian, bear in mind)
I was replying to your message saying that her husband can register!
Dr Logic wrote: 2nd: Are you out of your mind? I'm in this country from last many years ( I m not british ) I'v voted when I was on following visas:

B) Work permit ( yes )
c) spouse visa ( yes )
d) now ILR ( yes )
I quoted official text from Westminster City Council website. You can only register to vote if you are British or Commonwealth or EU citizen - it does not matter which visa you are on! If you are not British, I suspect you are citizen of one of the Commonwealth countries - otherwise you were voting illegally.

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:39 pm

Did you bother to read that page yourself? Stop giving people incorrect advice! ILR or spouse visa do not give you any voting rights.

From the page you've provided:
You can register to vote if you are:

* 16 years old or over and
* a British citizen
* or an Irish, qualifying Commonwealth or European Union citizen who is resident in the UK

Dr Logic
BANNED

Post by Dr Logic » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:42 pm

wunder wrote:
Dr Logic wrote:1st time: The person in question is British citizen ( her husband is iranian, bear in mind)
I was replying to your message saying that her husband can register!
Dr Logic wrote: 2nd: Are you out of your mind? I'm in this country from last many years ( I m not british ) I'v voted when I was on following visas:

B) Work permit ( yes )
c) spouse visa ( yes )
d) now ILR ( yes )
I quoted official text from Westminster City Council website. You can only register to vote if you are British or Commonwealth or EU citizen - it does not matter which visa you are on! If you are not British, I suspect you are citizen of one of the Commonwealth countries - otherwise you were voting illegally.
Though you quoted official text form westminster city council ( represents just westminster local in london ) here I'm talking about vote registration in UKkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk not for just westminster area. Just have a good look on my attached link above you will get your answer.

Hopfully you will understand this time.
Last edited by Dr Logic on Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Logic
BANNED

Post by Dr Logic » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:45 pm

wunder wrote:
Did you bother to read that page yourself? Stop giving people incorrect advice! ILR or spouse visa do not give you any voting rights.

* a British citizen
* or an Irish, qualifying Commonwealth or European Union citizen who is resident in the UK

You are misguiding the members. STOP THIS.

I GUESS YOU ARE ON HSMP. Am I right?
But I'm not on. I'm on ILR and registered for vote since I was student.
ANY UK RESIDENT HAS A RIGHT TO VOTE ( not visitor ).

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Dr Logic wrote:ANY UK RESIDENT HAS A RIGHT TO VOTE ( not visitor ).
Where did you learn that??
Who can register to vote? wrote: You can register to vote if you are:

â–  16 years old or over and
â–  a British citizen
â–  or an Irish, qualifying Commonwealth or European Union citizen who is resident in the UK
If you are 16 or 17, you can only register if you will be 18 within the lifetime of the electoral register. You cannot vote until you are 18.

Below is a full list of Commonwealth and European Union countries. If you are a citizen of one of these countries, and resident in the UK, you are eligible to register to vote in UK elections. To qualify, Commonwealth citizens must be resident in the UK and either have leave to remain in the UK or not require such leave. The definition of a 'Commonwealth citizen' includes citizens of British Crown Dependencies and British Overseas Territories.

Citizens of the European Union who are not Commonwealth citizens can vote in European and local elections in the UK, but are not able to vote in UK Parliamentary general elections.

European Union countries
Austria
Belgium
Bulgaria
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Ireland
Italy
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxemburg
Malta
Netherlands
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
United Kingdom

Commonwealth countries
Antigua and Barbuda
Australia
The Bahamas
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belize
Botswana
Brunei Darussalam
Cameroon
Canada
Cyprus
Dominica
Fiji Islands
The Gambia
Ghana
Grenada
Guyana
India
Jamaica
Kenya
Kiribati
Lesotho
Malawi
Malaysia
Maldives
Malta
Mauritius
Mozambique
Namibia
Nauru
New Zealand
Nigeria
Pakistan
Papua New Guinea
St Kitts & Nevis
St Lucia
St Vincent & The Grenadines
Samoa
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Solomon Islands
South Africa
Sri Lanka
Swaziland
United Republic of Tanzania
Tonga
Trinidad & Tobago
Tuvalu
Uganda
United Kingdom
Vanuatu
Zambia
Zimbabwe
Last edited by geriatrix on Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dr Logic
BANNED

Post by Dr Logic » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:54 pm

wunder wrote: - otherwise you were voting illegally.

My friend wak up. Its England. You can not vote illegally.

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:58 pm

Dr Logic wrote:You are misguiding the members. STOP THIS.

OK, I give up. You are either a troll or insane. Your own link totally contradicts you.

vinseh

Post by vinseh » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:07 pm

wunder wrote:

OK, I give up. You are either a troll or insane. Your own link totally contradicts you.
haha...hi wunder I agree with you...although i haven't posted on this topic yet but i've been reading it and like you i'm myself pulling my hair. I myself give up without even trying to make Dr Logic understand. Friendly advise...just don't bother :)

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:19 pm

vinseh wrote:Friendly advise...just don't bother :)
Indeed :shock: :)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Dr Logic wrote:
wunder wrote:

* a British citizen

You are misguiding the members. STOP THIS.

This is not true, only BC's and Commonwealth citizens and I think Irish citizens can vote.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Dr Logic
BANNED

Post by Dr Logic » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:04 pm

wunder wrote:

Dont be personal I can clearly see these two qualities in YOU.

1) TROLL &
2) INSANE

Indeed :P
Last edited by Dr Logic on Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dr Logic
BANNED

Post by Dr Logic » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:09 pm

vinseh wrote:
wunder wrote:

haha...hi wunder I agree with you...although i haven't posted on this topic yet but i've been reading it and like you i'm myself pulling my hair. I myself give up without even trying to make Dr Logic understand. Friendly advise...just don't bother :)
oooooooH my God! Did you pull all of YOUR hair? Did you? poor girl. USE darbur chyawanprash :P

kamalin10

Post by kamalin10 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:53 am

are we talking local elections or general? i'm not sure at all but maybe for local (MP) you can register? since you are paying council tax.... but i'm not sure and honestly i don't care :P

that registration form that we receive where we say that we are not allowed to vote actually puts you on some sort of system which even banks can access! i didn't need any documents for opening new account but my other half did.