ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is German Health Insurance "Comprehensive Health Insura

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cjdenver
Newly Registered

Is German Health Insurance "Comprehensive Health Insura

Post by cjdenver » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:10 pm

Hi forum,

I've read a lot about the requirements for "Comprehensive Sickness Insurance" under the Exercising Treaty Rules for EEA Citizens, and I understand that third-country insurance cann be deemed comprehensive sickness insurance as well (Baumbast Case)

Now during studies I did hold on to my German Health Insurance, which (if you are in Germany) is compulsory, but if you are moving abroad it is your choice to still pay for it or give it up. Since I continued to pay for it, does this classify as "comprehensive sickness insurance"?

I could probably ask them to send me a certificate that I have paid them throughout my studies abroad (for the last couple of years), so would this be deemed sufficient proof for the EEA Treaty Exercise Rules?

I am not sure how the EHIC cover plays along with this, I know that this is actually just intended for temporary (such as travel) emergency coverage, but since the German insurance has the choice of continuing to pay for them even if you move abroad not just for a couple of weeks holiday, I do not see them NOT to be a decent health cover (especially since they are quite costly, couple of 100 € each month).

Any enlightenment is greatly appreciated ;)

Thanks,

Chris

BLK235

Post by BLK235 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:00 am

If you paid for insurance I think they are obliged to provide you with certificate, the least they can do. It's like if you paid for the goods, the least you can expect is the invoice for it.

You can't get comprehensive medical insurance in the UK because there is no private Accidents and Emergency units.

You may also want to read this thread this thread

cjdenver
Newly Registered

Post by cjdenver » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:15 pm

BLK235 wrote:If you paid for insurance I think they are obliged to provide you with certificate, the least they can do. It's like if you paid for the goods, the least you can expect is the invoice for it.
No doubt on that, gave them a call and they already confirmed that they can confirm ... mmm ;)

Anyways, I was more wondering whether this will suffice as "sickness insurance", since it is part compulsory (if you remain in Germany) and part non-compulsory (if you continue it whilst abroad).
BLK235 wrote: You may also want to read this thread this thread
Will have a read through, thanks. Although the Baumbast case is somewhat different since they had fully private German insurance cover, whilst this one is offered by one of the German National Health Providers, which are kind of quangos...

cityboy
Newly Registered

Post by cityboy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:36 pm

dear cjdenver,
I can confirm that we used a german health insurance ( Krankenkasse ) for our application and it was fine . But remember it has to cover the entire period if you are applying for permanent Residence cards. You have to contact you insurance company in Germany and request a policy confirmation letter, which you then have to translate to English with certification.
Good luck!!

cjdenver
Newly Registered

Post by cjdenver » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:19 pm

Hi cityboy,

thanks for the confirmation! I even got the Krankenkasse to issue a confirmation in English so looks good ;)

Best regards,

Chris